plain or pinned blades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plain or pinned blades?

What do you guys and gals use and or prefer ?

Charlie,
    Charlie
    "Everything Happens for a Reason"
    Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Plain blades are the only way to go me.
    I do lots of pierced cuts and the hole needed for the pin is too big.

Pinned blades are fine for cutting basic shapes like those used for tole painting and crafts.
    The are also not too bad for ripping longer boards and thicker wood.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

plain end blades always!! The pin end blades should only be used in a saw that accepts that style only in my opinion. Theres just so much more you can do with a pinless blade, but if thats the only thing you use in your saw, by all means keep scrolling!!! Dale
      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

unfortunately it will be til I can get it fixed , Ill find out monday if I can even get a part for it because the blade clamp on the bottom wont hold the plain end blades anylonger so will be using the pinned I have til I find out if I can get the part for it

Charlie,
        Charlie
        Craftsman 18in. 21609

Comment

Sounds to me like a great excuse to get a new saw
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Hi Charlie. I like straight end blades too. But if pin end is what you have to use for now. there is a couple things you can do to them .
            1 is you can file the pins on the end you feed through your wood,, down as far as you can, on a stone or sand papper. as long as they will still fit into the fork holder. that will help you get the pins through a smaller hole. and
            2. some folks take the top pin all the way out. and then after you insert the pin through you work piece , put a safty pin or papper clip in the hole to hold in your top fork. I have not tryed this but would have if i had known about that when i started.
            hope this helps my friend. Evie

Comment

Also Charlie. did you say the bottom clamp only holds a pin end blade.??
              Well what about the top? did you order a top clamp to hold straight end blades? mmmm well if so, you can still file the top pins off or punch them out or what ever. personaly .. I ordered straight end blade clamps for my old saw. and that was a whole lot of work. but that was then and maybe , they are better now. Hang in there, you can still make some pretty fine saw dust with what you have. and it will just make you apriciate a differant saw when you can get one. your friend Evie
              Ps Also I thought I would answer you here about tabale vibration. there is lots of things to do there as well. there was a thread awhile back on that. and I believe it was Carl who had a great idea on that. sand or something.
              maybe you could , lol When you have time. lol look back through the threads an find that conversation. or just ask it again here.

Comment

What kind of saw is it Charlie?
                CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

actually the saw is a generic ace brand , and Ive been finding out why they wanted to get rid of it lol its a 16" single speed and will take both pin and plain but vibrates so much that it looses the tension for the blades so the bottom blade clamp is loose so it wont hold any plain blades only pin blades now ,but it did its 50 bucks worth of work that I paid for it , so will probably just wait and do what I can til I can upgrade it

thank you guys for the help and info ,
                  much appreciated

gotta keep scrolling
                  Charlie
                  Craftsman 18in. 21609

Comment

Plain and Flying Dutchman at that. (Just my humble option) .

-Bill
                    -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

There is one reason I like having the ability of using pin-ends and it's why I've held on to my older saws. I find that the scrollsanders last much longer in their pin-end versions than the non-pin-end versions. The plastic gets chewed up in the blade clamps easily.
                      Other than that, I only use plain end blades.

Kevin
                      Kevin
                      Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                      Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

well ,using only pinned for now so will see how I do on this lol

Charlie,

PS Thank you all for your help
                        Charlie
                        Craftsman 18in. 21609

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                          Bruce, the one on probation
                          by will8989
                          is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                          Today, 12:59 AM
                        • will8989
                          Sundays market
                          by will8989
                          When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                          Today, 12:46 AM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                          by will8989
                          I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                          Today, 12:27 AM
                        • jim_mex
                          Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                          by jim_mex
                          Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                          Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                        • KarlB
                          Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                          by KarlB
                          Very well done!

Karl
                          Yesterday, 07:36 PM
                        Working...
                        X