No announcement yet.

best blades for cutting tight corners ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best blades for cutting tight corners ?

whats the best blades for cutting tight corners in 1/8" thick pieces and 3/4" pieces? Ive tried using a bunch of different ones but just cant get it to turn right and it will either burn the wood at times or the blade will snap?

Charlie,

or do I just need to keep practicing ?
    Charlie
    "Everything Happens for a Reason"
    Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

That's a tough one...I find that smaller blades snap a lot more often for me in a case like this. I'd round over the back of the blade with an abrasive stone or hunk of fine-grit sandpaper. That will help you spin easier.

Also, something to make sure you are doing is to let the saw fully catch up with you. Pause a second when you get to the corner and let the saw finish cutting before you try to spin. If you press hard when cutting, you will bow the blade, so you are not getting a perfectly parralel stroke (as perfect as your saw will allow--without getting into the mechanics). Let the saw catch up, so it cuts fully, then make you pivot.

It really is a thing you need to practice. When Ron Posten was here last year and taught a class for us, we spent several hours with a piece of pine...cutting stair steps up and down to practice turning tight corners. Free hand it and soon you will get the hang of it!

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Charlie,
      I seldom cut 1/8" thick material (if it's that thin I stack cut it) but on the few occasions I have cut pieces that thin alone I had great results with Olson 2/0 Crown Tooth and FD-SR's 2/0. I don't use spirals much but I'm sure 2/0 Spirals would do well also.
      For 3/4", depending on how tight your referring to, my first choice is a #7 blade from either Pegas or FD or if it's really tight I've had the best (albeit slow) results with a FD-SR #5. The Tambour clock in my album had very tight inside cuts and was cut in 3/4" White Oak with the above. The Tipperary clocks were stack cut at a total thickness of 3/4" with a combination of Pegas #7 Skip Tooth and FD-SR #7. The Pegas was a little more agressive while the FD was less prone to breakage (for me). I liked the control of both.

Kevin
      Kevin
      Scrollsaw Patterns Online
      Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

kewl thank you both

Charlie,
        Charlie
        Craftsman 18in. 21609

Comment

I cut quite a bit of 1/8th inch, I don't generally stack cut as I do it just as a hobby, and not into selling it, to busy taking care of my sick wife. So I use the 2/0 blades for almost all of it. It just take a lot of practice to get to doing it. The thing you have to remember is to put a little pressure on the back on the blade as you spin, so its not cutting. It don't take a lot, and try not to put any side pressure or that can break the blades.

Comment

Here are some piccies of a wolf I cut recently from maple that's about 1/8" thick (I can't get them uploaded as attachments - sorry folks ). I used a #3 FD-SR for the turn on the mouth and employed the 'backing off' technique as described above.

It's not that difficult a technique and you can really whip round some tight corners.

Gill
            There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
            (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

hope your wife gets better there prunty .

very nice wolf leaf , thinking alot of it is just need more practicing and just how I do it that I need to work on ,which will get better with more practice lol

thank you all :-D

Charlie,

might try them blades though
              Charlie
              Craftsman 18in. 21609

Comment

Very nice work Gill;
                Flat blades "rock" and give much better definition than spirals ever could just as you have demonstrated. Goes to show what practicing the proper techniques can achieve.

Of all the gross's of blades I use every year I seldom ever break one but when I do it is always a very tiny one or a spiral blade when I have to use one. Even then, I have only myself to blame because of pushing as hard on one of those out of habit as I was perviously pushing on the #5's that I use for the majority of my work.
                W.Y.
                http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

I'm with you William, it's the first time I've broken a blade in a long time. The biggest surprise to me that it was #7 blades. The majority of my projects I cut with a #3 and I can't remember the last time I broke one. Perhaps I just got a couple of bad blades.

Kevin
                  Kevin
                  Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                  Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Gill,
                    How big is that leaf.?
                    Rolf
                    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I reckon it would fit into a 7" square.

Gill
                      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

HI my friend Charlie. if your not stack cutting. what I do is. use a very small blade. like a 2/0, and like Bob said wait for your blade to catch up. if your cutting, watch your blade when you just start to come to the end of the corner.(stop) you'll find the blade will keep comming.(that makes up for the pushing we all do) that way you don't over cut the corner. if it is a very sharp corner like a v cut or a y cut.you can over cut it just the debth of you blade.then, you can back up. and turn around in the waist wood, back up into the corner. and contenue cutting.(the over cut will get you back into the line of the pattern. I cut with the burr against the wood, that helps me get back into the wood. and go on. does this make sence? also some of the blades are differant. from compounys. I think a lot of teeh per inch is better. for a begginer. like 22 teeth per inch. if your stack cutting then thats differant. for about 13 teeth per inch will turn easyer. thats becouse thier is less teeth in the wood. and it will carry out the sawdust. and more teeth per inch will not. and go slower. just dive into something. it will teach you. reputiction realy teachs you. your friend Evie

Comment

Thank you :-)

Charlie,
                          Charlie
                          Craftsman 18in. 21609

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                            by Rolf
                            Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                            That is...
                            Today, 08:15 AM
                          • Jimern
                            Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                            by Jimern
                            The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                            Today, 06:29 AM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                            by will8989
                            The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                            Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to Farmers market
                            by will8989
                            Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                            Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                          • tgiro01
                            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                            by tgiro01
                            Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                            Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                          Working...
                          X