How do you chouse your blades.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you chouse your blades.

Hi all . How do you find, or chouse your blades. is it someting off the forum? or do you just like some blade you have used.? I have found some of the blades bend alittle . same size. but differant. brands. is it somthing to do with the wood. or the blade. a mistery. your friend Evie

Mostly from experience. I have a pretty good handle on what I am capable of doing with whatever blade I have. Theres no sense in going into brands of blades, we all got our preferances on that. Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Thanks Dale. the one thing I have noticed is. when scrolling in hard wood. some of the blades I use. just don't wont to turn. like I am used too. are they softer. or what. the ones I am talking about are so sharp. but dont wont to turn like the others, bought in my locale store. seems silly. but I have had diffaculties with some of the ones, that are found on the forum. well that don't make seince. but I don't wont to give names. I am sure I am doing someting rough. but it just don't seem to be the same. is there something I am doing rough.?. maybe , I am just using the rough size to begen with.. mmmmmmmmmmmmm is a #3 still a #3 in other brand names. or are they differant? your friend Evie

Comment

No, a 3 is not a 3 in all brands. compare the measurements that are on the blade packages. a FD-SR No. 3 0.035width 0.013thickness #65 hole size compared to a FD-P No. 3 0.031width 0.013thickness #65 hole size
        compared to a FD-NS No. 3 0.013thickness 0.035diameter # 59 hole size

That was just a sample of three diffrent #3 blades from one company. Compare these to other manufacturers and you will see that a #3 isnt a number three to everyone. dale
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Ok Dale now I am confused. what would make the blade on a #3 bend. is it the thickness.??? that for sure would make a differanse , but what if they say, they are the same thickness. and still bend in hards wood?? probley need to talk to ya in private. thanks. your friend Evie.

Comment

I tend to chose my blades wrong
            I go too small. I know I should be using 5,s and 7,s on the thicker wood.

I like reverse tooth but I really love crown tooth, You can get double the blade life as long as you dont heat them up.
            I do not break blades too much any more, I do wear them out though.
            It is hard to believe, they are so inexpensive yet I work them till they wont work any more.

One scroller posted, or emailed me, about gluing an old blade to the back of each finished piece to show customers what he cut the wood with. It was a great selling feature and a good use for the stuff you normally throw away.
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Dale is right. A number 3 (or any other number) can vary significantly from one brand to another.
              But more important to me is the tooth design. Some manufacturers have different fabricating processes for forming the teeth so some some cut and perform better than others. My personal findings are that the cheapest blades are generally not the best ones when for slightly more you can get top quality.
              PM works great if you would like some more info about what I am referring to. Always glad to help but blades can be a touchy subject on some sites due to advertising restrictions. .

In reference to the blade bending , do you mean bending from top to bottom? In that case your tension is not tight enough or you are using unnecessary side pressure when cutting .
              If by bending , you actually mean "twisting", then that could be caused from a wider width of a blade than what you have been used to. One particular brand is quite a bit wider and /or thicker than some other brands in the same number range.
              Whatever blade it is that is causing you the trouble when turning you could try rounding off the back edges of the blade with an emery stone while the saw is running but don't come around so far as to touch the teeth.
              W.Y.
              http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Blade choices

Rick Hutchesen has created a blade comparison chart and a lot of other blade information. This was not a trivial task to put all of that information together. You can download a PDF copy @ http://www.scrollsaws.com/
                "Blade/ Drill Bit Chart "
                I mostly use a 2/0 blade for my fine work (even when stacked) I have tried different manufacturers and keep coming back to one. There is one blade that cuts faster but Ill be dipped if I can get it to follow a line or go around corners? I would be happy to discuss this off the forum.

Bottom line is the blade issue is that same as the Saw issue we develop a feel for what we like and what works best for us, and that takes time and lots of saw dust.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I think this has gotten kind of funny. Are we not even supposed to mention brands anymore? I'm glad I got started before this little blade war between Pegas and Flying Dutchman erupted, people weren't afraid to recommend a particular brand or vendor. FWIW, I like both though I tend to break the Pegas blades which I don't do with the FD's. As far as which blade for which project, I experiment with different blades from different manufacturers and decide what I like best. I know which blade I prefer for stack cutting 5/8 BB (FD #3 SR), 3/4" hardwoods (Pegas #7 Skip tooth or FD #7 SR) etc. I really like the Olsen 2/0 Crown Tooths for very tight cuts in thicker woods though they don't last very long. I'm curious about the Olsen Gold Series as I haven't tried those but I will be.
                  I don't really care how they're made or who sells them or who recommends them. Some folks have personal agendas or axes to grind which is too bad. My advise is to try different sizes of different brands and decide which you prefer.
                  There, I feel better, I mentioned a whole bunch of brands, hehehe.

Kevin
                  Kevin
                  Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                  Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Nicely put Kevin!

I'm not trying to stifle blade discussion on the board. There are a variety of blades out there--try them and give your opinion! Say Yah or Nah, but respect others' rights to have a different opinion!

Personally, I use all three of the major companies (FD, Pegus, and Olson) depending on what I'm doing!

What I've had a problem with is when people close their mind to trying something new, or start attacking a blade--or retailer--because of a personal agenda.

Bob(who has been known to wear a white hat and silver star)
                    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I'm a tool junkie

Hi Evie,

Personally, I listened to what others had to say about them.

I found that there were three popular brands that were highly rated: Pegas, Flying Dutchman, and Olson.

I chose to order Pegas first because I ordered other stuff from a supplier that had them, and also because someone seemed to think highly of them. I have to admit that I'm satisfied with the way they cut so far, in my limited experience.

I also got some FD spiral blades last week, because they had a model that Pegas did not have: reverse spirals, and I felt like experimenting with them.

I have an assortment of blade styles and sizes that I ordered ( I hate needing something and not having it) because I wanted to experiment in order to find out what I like best.

But I have to admit that I went a little over the top and in ordering close to 1,000 blades to start with.

SWMBO says I should have enough for a year hopefully. I haven't dared yet tell her I want some of the smaller sizes reverse, he he.

These are the blades I ordered
                      36 Pegas 5" Reverse Tooth Scroll Saw Blade #3 .013 x .035 x 13/7rTPI
                      72 Pegas 5" Reverse Tooth Scroll Saw Blade #5 .018 x .045 x 12/9rTPI
                      36 Pegas 5" Reverse Tooth Scroll Saw Blade #7 .018 x .045 x 10/7rTPI
                      36 Pegas 5" Reverse Tooth Scroll Saw Blade #9 .018 x .045 x 8/6rTPI
                      72 Pegas 5" Reverse Double Tooth #05 .018 x .045 x 12/8rTPI
                      36 Pegas 5" Reverse Double Tooth #07 .018 x .045 x 10.5/7rTPI
                      36 Pegas 5" Reverse Double Tooth #09 .018 x .045 x 9/6rTPI
                      36 Pegas 5" Modified Geometry #2/0SPR .008 x .027 x 15/10TPI
                      36 Pegas 5" Modified Geometry #1SPR .011 x .030 x 13/7TPI
                      72 Pegas 5" Modified Geometry #5SPR .015 x .037 x 13/7TPI
                      36 Pegas 5" Modified Geometry #7SPR .017 x .043 x 10/7TPI
                      36 Pegas 5" Modified Geometry #9SPR .018 x .050 x 8/6TPI
                      36 Pegas 5" Modified Geometry #12SPR .020 x .067 x 7/6TPI
                      72 Pegas 5" Spiral Scroll Saw Blade #2/0 .024 x .024 x 48TPI
                      36 Pegas 5" Spiral Scroll Saw Blade #2 .031 x .031 x 40TPI
                      36 Pegas 5" Spiral Scroll Saw Blade #5 .041 x .041 x 28TPI
                      48 FD Spiral Reverse # 2/0
                      24 FD Spiral Reverse #5
                      60 FD New Spiral #2/0
                      36 FD New Spiral #1
                      24 FD New Spiral #3
                      48 FD New Spiral #5
                      72 FD Puzzle blades
                      (Total: 720 Pegas, 312 FD)

Regards,
                      Marcel
                      Last edited by Marcel in Longueuil; 05-04-2006, 08:54 AM.
                      http://marleb.com
                      DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

I don't know what this means:

"But more important to me is the tooth design. Some manufacturers have different fabricating processes for forming the teeth so some cut and perform better than others."

Blades made by Haunstetter, maker of the Olson blades, blades made by Niqua maker of the FD blades and Grobet maker of the Pegas blades are all made the same. The are milled. If you don't believe me email each company. Some companies have fancy names, like "Modefied Geometry" however that are milled blades. Five people did a test and did not see much difference between the FD and Pegas. All 5 said that the FD lasted longer but both would cut to the right.

Price has nothing to do with quality when it comes to blades.

Mike M
                        Last edited by 3_M; 05-04-2006, 10:58 AM.
                        SD Mike

Comment

Blades

Just for kicks I think I will bring an assortment of blades to work with me and take some pictures under the microscope just to see how dramatic the differences really are between say a PGT Olson or a milled blade. I wonder how many blades are still stamped?
                          I once did that with my wifes jewelry to look at the stones, never again, almost took it all back 500x shows a lot of flaws.
                          Rolf
                          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf,

Believe me, NO scroll saw blade is stamped. I have toured different blade manufactory companies and have seen that they are milled and NOT stamped. The PGT blades from Olson are milled and then go through an other process. To remove some of the burr.

Mike M
                            SD Mike

Comment

Originally posted by BobD
                              Nicely put Kevin!

I'm not trying to stifle blade discussion on the board. There are a variety of blades out there--try them and give your opinion! Say Yah or Nah, but respect others' rights to have a different opinion!

Personally, I use all three of the major companies (FD, Pegus, and Olson) depending on what I'm doing!

What I've had a problem with is when people close their mind to trying something new, or start attacking a blade--or retailer--because of a personal agenda.

Bob(who has been known to wear a white hat and silver star)
                              Thanks Bob , thats what i didn't wont to do eather. but I have been haveing troubale with some blades. I noticed they cut better than any other on stack cutting. but left little to desire in a singale cut. and didn't wont to offend any one. not knowing anyone personale. to ask. I was just wonting to know what to do. well thats not true. I do know someone. witch i car about alot. but didn't wont to affend him. so wonted to know if anyone has had the same thing happen to them. and maybe clear this thing up , without, the loss of a good and caring friend. but woops got it going now. sorry. yes it is when I am turning not that the blade bends. but it does twist. so is it me. or am i not using the right blade. darn , I guess I should have ask the right person. can't make this one right. so what do you think. still have a probleam. anyone else have this probleam , maybe we can fix it. Evie just can't controle these blades. darn

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by will8989
                                None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by NC Scroller
                                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                                Yesterday, 07:42 AM
                              Working...
                              X