Rbi G4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rbi G4

I am considering purchasing a new RBI G4. Being new to scroll sawing I was looking for some advice on this model. Your comments will be appreciated.

re: g-4

Hello- I Own The G-4. I Needed A Saw With A 24" Plus Throat. If You Can Get By With A Smaller Throat, Id Give The Hegner A Serious Look Eendreno

Comment

Rbi G4

Don,
      I copied this from an earlier post I put in the Tools and Blades section of this forum.
      I am a big fan of the RBI( I dont get anything from them for being a supporter) Maybe if someone lives near you that has one would give you a chance to try it before you buy one. If you are willing to spend that much you should try the big Hegner and Eclipse also.
      I would like to try the Eclipse.

"There are many discussions on this site and others about what machine is best so I won't go there.
      I have the RBI G4 for a year it has a lot of features that appeal to me and my style of cutting.
      1. Easy to top and bottom feed the blade
      2. Lots of room under the top arm for my fat fingers.
      3. Deep throat
      4. Minimal vibration
      The saw is heavy and big! So I still have my old Delta for club meetings ( I will pick up a small Hegner for our club meetings).

I really like my G4 and do not regret buying it.
      I have been scrolling for about 2 years and did the Old and New train in the fretwork gallery with the G4"
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I've worked on 2 seperate RBI variable speed models for 15+ years.
        I've run a delta variable tabletop for a bit and never could get used to it.

I'll take any version of an RBI/Hawk over anything else, having seen the 2 I work with just go and go and go.
        Of course, we do a pretty high volume, so routine pivot oiling and maintenance is mandatory.

I'm in the market to get my own now and am probably going to get the new
        G4 and use it for the next decade or longer.

I'm sure there are some equal or better saws out there, but for cutting speed and ease of use, I'd recommend the RBI/Hawk scroll saw to any talent level, whether Beginner or Professional!!

BD
        Never seen a blade that wouldn't dance!!

Comment

G4 vs the Hawk 220

I realize the G4 is one of the newer products currently marketed by the RBI folks, but take a look at the Hawk 220 or 226. I happen to own the Hawk 220 and it is a very good saw. Very solid no vibration and cuts well.

I am not certain about the difference in cost, but it may be a little less expensive soley due to the fact that they seem to be marketing the G4.

Just my humble opinion for what its worth.
          Jim Paskett
          RBI HAWK 220

Comment

I have a G4 also. I love the saw. I had to replace tne lower control arm and had to completely take the table apart to do this. It only took about 45min to fix and get back up and running. I also had to replace the blade holders thay had a problem with the first design once I repaced those I have had no problem at all with the saw.With the warrenty and the good sevice I will buy from them again if I ever wear the saw out.

Kevin
            When you hit rock bottom the only answer is to look up

Comment

RBI had a big promotion going recently the G4 was priced under $900 with lots of stuff included.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

when the spring breaks on the back of the g4, you have no access to the screw because they put a shiny metal plate over the hole...the plate gets mangled when you try and remove it because it is glued on. I ended up drilling a hole through the plate. Had those plastic blade holders, glad they did away with them, they exploded while cutting. The two fingers on the lower arm that hold the blade holders in place is the big issue. They keep breaking, although it's been awhile since i last replaced one. At first they say it's too much tension, but I have broken those fingers with the tension eased back to the point that the blade keeps breaking. It's the wood I'm cutting...this is supposed to be an industrial saw that can cut steel...so lets beef up them fingers. besides, a few more millimeters of aluminum has to be cheaper than the amount of parts they keep sending me.
                On a plus note though, the saw does cut super duper, and vibration is low. The best thing about the Hawk is the staff..when you call them, they get right to sending you what you need, no questions asked.
                I have mixed feelings as to whether I would buy this saw again.
                Jeff Powell

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X