Broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken

I finally found and purchased a scroll saw. It's a Craftsman 113-23615. Nothing special, but I wanted something cheap to start with to make sure I enjoyed scrolling before I took a big plunge. So I bought the Wooden Puzzles book shown at the top of this forum and I'm chugging along, really enjoying myself, halfway through the Alpha Snake puzzle when, WHAM, my blade pops loose for the second time. Much to my chagrin, I discover my lower blade clamp is busted in two. Luckily, the guy I bought the saw off of had the manual and I was able to find a replacement part from Sears. I haven't ordered the replacement yet but I went ahead and tore into my saw so, when the part arrived, I could be back in action quickly. So here's my dilemma: I have the arms off and I'm ready to take the busted clamp off. The clamp pivots on a M5 spring pin and I have no idea how to get that pin out. No part of the pin protrudes out of the arm so there's nothing to get a hold of. I've tried using various "punches" (allen wrenches, rat tail files, etc) to hammer it out.Neither method has worked. Anybody have any ideas on how to get this pin out?

Second question: Is it possible to clamp down too tightly on blades? Could it be that was what caused my problem in the first place?

Comment

If you have the arm off and know some body that has an arbor press it should just press out.Maybe a good auto repair shop wold do it for you.

Comment

CDL, a C clamp, bolt or pin slightly smaller than the pin and a socket. Place the socket on one side, press the pin out with the smaller pin into the socket with the C clamp. Reverse to put the pin back in place minus the socket. Hope this is understandable. Yes, clamping the blade too tight is most likely the cause of your problem. Tighten the clamp just enough to keep the blade from slipping. Rough up the ends of the blade with sandpaper.
        Mick Walker
        Last edited by Mick Walker; 03-31-2010, 04:01 PM.
        Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Mick you are amazing!! What a great idea!!
          HELP!! Im stuck in Reno and I can see Sparks!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Mick. I'll give it a try tomorrow and post how it went.

Comment

Mick's "C" clamp suggestion is good but the socket and pin would work a lot easier if you used a vise instead of the "C" clamp.

Tom

Comment

it worked! thanks everyone. My new clamp shipped today so hopefully I'm back scrolling by this time next week. I want to get that puzzle done so I can give it my nephew.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X