do you own a Hegner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you own a Hegner

Well I have been scrolling for about 3 years now,. in learning , i have only had blade probleams. wood thicknesses. and how fast . so on so on. now i am getting better . only to have diffaculties. now i am having wabale probleams.as thought i am sconing. probley had them all along but just now noticed. i have noticed my quick clamp is holding the blade . way over to the left. not centered. and ordered a new quick clamp. and the same probleam.there is a scrue. but locked down tight.can't turn it. now i notice the bottom clamp is in a fork. that is about 1 corter wide. i can move it back and forth .before i clamp it down. i was wondering why i couldn't plum it up. an get differate mesurements. now i know. but is all the saws the same.is all the forlks about the same. but that does have somthing to do with squerin it up.like about 1/8 inch. mmmmmmmmm.now i notice a twist in my blade. looked at the bottom clamp and it seems straight. and so does the top. mmmmm but my blade is still twisted. new blade. what am i doing roung. its a mistery to me. my saw looks straight. this just doesn't seem right. is there a way i should force the scrue to open againsed the blade? is there some thing i should do on the bottom. to untwist the blade. am i just being to prisice.sure would like to know whats going on. lucky i didn't find this in the begening. or i would have been discoragded. like i could spell that lol. thanks for listening but please help your friend Evie i could show a pictuer .

a picture is worth a thousand words (even bad spelt ones!) . Im just joking on the bad spelling words, I can read typoes, Lord knows I make plenty myself! Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Hi Evie

It's difficult to imagine how your blade holder looks, although you've tried hard to give us a good description. Like Dale says, a picture would be very useful.

The blade clamps on my Hegners both ride on the arms, the bottom clamp being held in place by a spring when the blade is removed. Everything is centrally aligned. I imagine that is how yours should be, too.

Gill
      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Evie,
        I own a Hegner and like Gill's it is all aligned nicely. I can only imagine that something has come loose on yours with all the work that you give it and a bit of readjustment may be called for. Without actually seeing it it is hard to guess exactly what your problem is.

Rhys H.

Comment

Minowevie - I have owned the Hegner 18vs for about 9 years. Have never, up til recently, experienced any problems. I disassembled and cleaned everything up, checking for wear and such and then reassembled. Took about 1 hour. But the others are right on that a picture may tell more/show more.

Gil - maybe you could answer this for me!? Just recently at startup the blade/arms hesitate - sort of jerky movement and then smooths out and runs fine. Have you ever experienced this? I will be contacting Advancemachinery tomorrow hoping that if there is a problem to catch it and repair it before it becomes a serious problem.

Paul S.

Comment

Hi Paul

That's not a problem I'm familiar with. Admittedly, my knowledge of engineering is on a par with Lance Armstrong's knowledge of ballet, but off the top of my head I'm wondering if there might be problems with the bearings on your arms? That could account for the sticky startup. I'm presuming you'll have been lubricating them regularly over the years, but even so, after 9 years of regular use you can expect bearings to show signs of wear.

Definitely time for your faithful friend to have a check-up, methinks .

Gilll
            There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Comment

Hi Gill,

Yes I have been regularly oiling the bearings in the arms. And I did inspect the bearings when I had disassembled it and everything looked good.
              However, I did not disassemble the arms (or whatever they are called) attached to the motor, nor the motor itself. Won't go that far until someone with more experience tells me that the problem may be in one of those areas.

I contacted Advmachinery and asked for a copy of the technical data sheets as their downloadable pages are not at all clear. That way if I need to order parts, or have trouble reassembling, I know what I am looking at and where it goes as I can become confused when interrupted. Their tech was not in so will try him tomorrow for some advice.

Thanks again.

Paul S.

Comment

Hi Paul,

Sounds like you should have a look at the motor brushes.
                If you have never replaced them in 9 years, they may be need of replacement.

I'm not familiar with your brand/model of scrollsaw, but the instruction manual should be able to tell you how to inspect them and replace them if necessary.

Just something for you to look into.

Regards,
                Marcel
                http://marleb.com
                DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Evie,

Sorry, I did not mean to ignore your initial request, when I answered Paul.

But until you post a picture, sounds like nobody has any advice for you right now.

I feel terrible since you are always there for others from what I have seen in my short life here in this forum.

Respectfully,
                  Marcel

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Thanks Marcel, I contacted Hegner (Advmanchinery) for a copy of the manual and parts sheet as one did not come with my machine. Why I don't know. It is not really bad at this point and am keeping an eye on it in case it gets worse. Once I get the parts sheet I will check into the motor.
                    Thought about taking it with me to Richland Center, WI for the picnic in August. There is suppose to be a rep there.

Paul S.

Comment

I have heard that before. The first picnic we had in Oregon there was suppose to be a rep there and didn't show. The next two years also was going to be there but at least called the day before to say "Not going to be there". Good Luck.
                      Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                      Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                      Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Hegner

Ok, Evie, I'm going to give this a whirl. If you are having wobbling, it could be the board is not flat. That's the only time I notice board wobble, banging, clanging whatever you want to call it, when I'm cutting. As for the blade twisting, I recently noticed this but after much investigation I found it was "operator error." Seems my board wasn't feeding straight and when I would straighten it out I was actually twisting the blade myself. I recently replaced the little white rollers on the tension bar as my tension holder was flipping forward on me. Other than that I have had no problems with my Hegner and I've had it for 5 years. I oil once a week and am ready to go. Don't know if this will help or not. Hope so.
                        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Hegner Pictures

Ok guys. Finally got some pictures. Sorry this well be pretty long. but just don't know how to cut it short. the 1st picture is the top clamp.The Quick clamp nut push's the blade all the way to the otherside of the clamp. This is a new Quick clamp. my old one is the same. After looking at my picture, I notice , the Clamp sits in the jaw or fork or what ever its called, It dose look bent to one side. wonder if I can adjust this. can you see how the blade rubs? The top spring bolt goes into a small indenture,on top of the clamp. So it wont move over. #2 pictuer is of the Quick Lock Tension Release. After reading Will8989 post. I was wondering. Do you think this looks bent or worn,enouph to put a twist in the blade?? the white roller things. #3 picture is the bottom clamp. The spring on the bottom is bent to the left. but that has nothing to do with the squareness of the blade. it only holds the blade and clamp while changing holes. like Gill said. But notice the space between the fork that the blade goes through. Im sure this is normal, but the blade will slide back and forth, before the blade has tension on it. so I am more carfull of this now.I don't think there is a probleam hear. can you see any??? #4 picture is the Blade. can you see that I have a square next to it? It is hard to see, but where the shine is on the points of the teeth down low,is where the blade starts to twist to the left. or . Maybe the top twist to the right? that is a new blade and notice my blade is pretty square. #5 picture is the left side of the Quick clamp. there is a hex bolt (I think thats what you call it?) is that there for a reason. looks like if I could turn it inwards , that would center my blade.? But it is welded or glued . not sure what. but I can not move it. should I leave that alone? can I adjust the fork under the clamp? SOOOOOOOOOO are you tired yet Remmber my probleam is . blade wabbale. I oil and hold my wood down. Im used to warped wood but thats not the same kind of thing. so if you see any thing in these pictures . please shar with me. and thanks for your replys. your friend Evie
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by minowevie; 04-05-2006, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Hi Evie

That's a nice saw . I'd try lubricating the hex screw on the Quick clamp with some oil, then tighten it up a little. The screw is very stiff by design but the Allen key supplied with your clamp should be able to adjust it. It looks to me as if your screw is set too loose and is holding the top of the blade slightly out of alignment. Do you find that after you've used a blade, you get a slight kink where it's been in the Quick clamp? That would confirm that the hex screw needs to be tightened, but even if your blades remain straight the chances are your problem still lies with the hex screw.

The Quick clamp doesn't seem to have been machined very well. The knurled knob that you tighten with your fingers should be perfectly square, and it isn't. Nevertheless, the chances are that the poor alignment isn't the problem. If it was, you'd find that it wouldn't grip the blade at all!

The rest of photographs look okay to my untrained eye. I think the problem is your Quick clamp set-up.

Gill

Comment

Hi Evie,

The hex screw on the left of the quick clamp is an adjustment screw; My DeWalt has one too, and it needed adjusting out of the box.

You can use it to center the blade in the holder by screwing it in further (or less, but from your picture it's further in). It is probably stiff because it is set with locktite at the factory to prevent it from loosening with the vibrations.

I would suggest that you use a folded piece sheet of sandpaper (not too rough) first to "square" the end of both screws by passing it up and down a couple of times between the two screws (make sure the sheet is folded flat and not rounded at the fold).

Then using an allen key I would adjust the left screw so the blade is centered in the holder when tightened by the knurled knob.

Once that is adjusted use a (small) drop of (clear, if you have some) nail polish (on the outside of the quickclamp) to "set" the hex screw against vibrations, or use locktite if you have some.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, let us know and we'll make other suggestions.

Regards,
                              Marcel

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                                Today, 08:56 PM
                              • Jim McDonald
                                Reply to Interesting pallet
                                by Jim McDonald
                                I have harvested some very interesting specimens in the last 10 years. Bookmatched ash that was absolutely beautiful; red oak, maple, some spalted "something" and more.
                                But since most of the cross boards on pallets are 3 to 4 nches wide and 3/8" to 5/8", I have few uses for...
                                Today, 08:17 PM
                              • Quartz43
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Quartz43
                                I have an implanted spinal cord stimulator to help with back pain. They also have warnings about welding. I could not get one when I was working in an electric furnace steelmaking shop as the electrodes were over 1000 amps and volts. I have also decided to stay away from welding as I just do not...
                                Today, 03:40 PM
                              • hotshot
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by hotshot
                                You did a great job on that video. You speak and explain well!...
                                Today, 02:27 PM
                              • RJweb
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by RJweb
                                I am glad it is all working out for you, RJ...
                                Today, 01:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X