Need a good Magnify Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a good Magnify Glass

I am getting old and I can no longer stay on the lines with my cut. I wanted to ask where I could buy a glass that will assist me in seeing my cuts. I used to have a 3 diopter, now I am on a 5 and its so much better but wonder if someone works with a larger glass. If so, please let me know where to buy. I like the 5 but its only a matter of time.

1st -- Welcome the the forum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

If you come back a lot, you find I am way too long winded, my post have just too many words..

Now, about something to help you see....
    If you have the money, google for: loupes, optical magnification, or Dental optical systems. Way neat, but expensive.

I found this a few weeks ago, https://www.micro-tools.com/store/mainframe2.aspx

I have not used this web vendor, so buyer beware.

Phil

PS: I found mico-tools.com looking for tweezers; wood splinter removal tools.

Comment

Thank you however I am looking more for the one that has the arm, which attaches to the scroll saw. It has a light on it as well. I will look into that site however for other items.

Comment

KLD -- I just got a new magnifying light from Harbor Freight for $11. that beats my old mag light by a mile - this one uses a 60 watt bulb and has a very powerfull lens- they have one that is floresent for $ 39. but I think I like this one better. I did try to mount a magnifying lense to my saw but I didn't like the viberation from my saw- which is very low moving my lenses. I took it off and mounted this to my table from the rear so it isn't in the way.
        Sharon

Comment

I agree with Sharon on mounting it on the table.
          If you want a cooler lightbulb use an energy saver bulb in the socket, You wont get quite so hot.

If you are handy you could use one of the dollar store fresnel lense, The kind they use for looking at an entire page.
          Put it in a frame and adjust it to your needs. They are very powerful. and at a buck you cant go wrong
          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Sharon;
            If you replace that incandescet light bulb with a full spectrum daylight energy saving one you won't believe the difference that a daylight bulb makes and will reduce or eliminate shadows.
            This link is only for reference . You can buy the same thing at Home Depot or any major hardware store for many less $$$

http://www.rewci.com/vercomfluorb.html

They are making them quite compact now and will fit pretty well where any normal light bulb will fit.

W.Y.
            http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Hi, I use a standard florescent light monuted to my table with the daylight bulb as William said and it works great. For magnification, I just went to my local dollar store and purchased the cheap reading glasses in different strengths depnding on the work I am doing.

I found it difficult to scroll looking through the magnifying light.
              Keep the dust coming..
              www.wolfwoodworking.ca

Comment

Most office supply stores carry "drafting table lamps" of the type sold by RBI and some of the other saw makers. They usually have a circular bulb surrounding a magnifying glass lens. They usually have a "gooseneck" arm that can be adjusted just about anywhere. Most can be had for between $30 and $100 depending on what you want. I use one that I have attached to a shelf next to my saw, but, to be honest with you, I use it mostly for the light and wear diopter lenses to see my work. I hate peeking through the lamp lens. The suggestion to use reading glasses makes good sense as well.
                Moon
                Old Mooner

Comment

I am curious if anyone uses the Luxo Magnifier-Light. One of the intarsia sights recommends this light but it is over $200.

As a user of binoculars and spotting scopes, I appreciate what high-end optics bring to the table.

My light was about $60. It has a very limited depth of field and I have resorted to using a coat hanger to tie the two sections of arms together so it stays in one place. I am not really thrilled with it. Just wondering if there are any Luxo owners out there.
                  Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

Owler I have one in my sewing room I bought years ago for $179. to help me with colors in my quilting- I hate it now ..never use it. I did try it here in my shop for a day but quickley took it back in the sewing room..makes a good dust catcher .
                    Sharon

Comment

Not that I am anxious to spend the money on this Sharon. I am curious what you did not like about it.
                      Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

Originally posted by KLD2246
                        Thank you however I am looking more for the one that has the arm, which attaches to the scroll saw. It has a light on it as well. I will look into that site however for other items.
                        What kind of saw do you have?

Comment

My floresent and ballest (sp?) went out at the same time (last week). I found out that there is a difference between a 'sunlight' floresent and a regular floresent. Suddenly after installing projects turned yellow. Now I'm to hunt down a 'Sunlight' replacement.

Comment

I found what I needed at Howardelectronics.com. I found 3, 5 and 8 diopter magnifying glasses. They have a place local in Chino and after using the 5, its like night and day. The line looks like its double wide allowing me to cut on instead of over and around. If you go to that site, you will see the difference in a dime when looking at it via a 3, 5 and other high end glass. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz
                              What kind of saw do you have?
                              I have a dewalt. It works well for now. If I really get into this, then I may go to a higher end machine. What about you.
                              Last edited by KLD2246; 03-16-2006, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X