Making thin wood or veneers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making thin wood or veneers

I resaw my own woods for making large fretwork clocks. Has anyone any suggestions for a wide belt drum sander? King is one brand of sander I have seen, Performax 16-32 drum sander is more expensive, is it worth it? any other suggestions? north wood clocks

I love my performax 16/32. Its not a necessity, but it sure makes life easier. Worth every penny in my book. Dale
    Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

My 16?32 sander is one of those cloned Taiwanese ones which works just fine. As for comparisons with Performax I don't Know but I would not be without my one.

Rhys H.

Comment

Sander Plans

I haven't used a commercial thickness sander before but I have come across some plans.
        http://www.rockslide.org/drum%20sander.html
        http://members.cox.net/elarson5/sander.htm
        http://www.ukuleles.com/BuildingHowTo/sandthck.html

From other discussions I have had with people it seems a sander with the drum on the top and an adjustable table is better than the table with a drum protruding through the top.
        The latter is ok for surface sanding but does not allow uniform thickness.
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

The 2 that I've been debating between are the Performax and the Delta. From all my reading and research, I'm going with the Performax.
          FWIW, I use a sled on my planer now for planing down to very thin thicknesses, I've planed as thin as 3/32" without issue.

Kevin
          Kevin
          Scrollsaw Patterns Online
          Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Thank you

Thank you , thank each of you (Dale, Rhys H, Carl, and Keven) for taking the time to answer my query about making thin woods or veneers. I was looking to make 3/32 wood for a project. I really appreciated the web page suggestions from "Canadian Scroller". Very interesting. Thanks again for the help.
            I eventually took some very strait grain wood and got it very close with
            out buying a new machine this time.

north wood clocks

Comment

cool! and that was cheaper then either of the two sanders you were considering! More money for wood!
              Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                Reply to New tools
                by jim_mex
                Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                Yesterday, 11:14 PM
              • Hobbyhorse
                Reply to New tools
                by Hobbyhorse
                Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                Yesterday, 11:03 PM
              • Hobbyhorse
                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                by Hobbyhorse
                Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
              • KarlB
                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                by KarlB
                Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                Yesterday, 09:41 PM
              • KarlB
                Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                by KarlB
                Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                Yesterday, 09:31 PM
              Working...
              X