A Hone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Hone

Can someone please explain to me what you do with this on the back of scroll saw blades and what good does this do for the balde.
    sigpicDeb Adams [email protected]

????????????? This what?

Comment

The hone that is the title of his post <grin>

Sometimes in the manufacturing process, the blades develop a slight burr on the back side. The hone removes that burr and makes it easier to make sharp turns.

Bob
      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

When you hone the back of the blade, it will not bind as much as it makes a turn.

Picture "A" shows a blade that is not honed. The trailing edge can catch in the wood as the turn is made.

Picture "B" shows the honed blade, there is more clearance around the trailing edge of this blade
        Attached Files
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

WEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Doggy !!! thats when I just back up an try again all this time I thought it was me.. Thanks guys--Big Huggs.
          I learned somethin!!!

Comment

You can purchase a small "hone" on a stick from several vendors, but if you have a "sharpening stone" (a hone) that is small enough to sharpen a pocket knife, you can use that just as easily. Actually all you are doing is "rounding off" the back of the blade (which comes sharply squared from the manufacturer) so that it turns with less binding. I do the same thing with my bandsaw blades. Just turn the saw on and gently turn the stone around the back of the blade. Doesn't take much.
            Moon
            Old Mooner

Comment

A Hone

Thanks all that answered this post. Now i know what to do with the backs of the scroll saw blades.
              sigpicDeb Adams [email protected]

Comment

Great Forum

Ya know, that's what makes this forum so great. I use to round off the back of my blades all the time and just got out of the habit. Thanks for jogging this old man's memory. I'll start doing that very thing today. Thanks Old Mooner for the bandsaw tip, I'll do that too.

-Bill
                -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                  Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                  by will8989
                  The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                  Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Farmers market
                  by will8989
                  Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                  Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                • tgiro01
                  Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                  by tgiro01
                  Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                  Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                  Yesterday, 06:47 PM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to Plastic puzzle
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                  Yesterday, 06:38 PM
                Working...
                X