Converting Bench Grinder into a sander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting Bench Grinder into a sander

I plan to Convert my bench grinder into drum a sander.

I will remove the wheels and put a 1/2" chuck on it. In the chuck, I could either put a sanding drum, Flap sander or a flex shaft.

The shaft on the grinder mesure 1/2" so I will put a chuck from LeeValley part #68K05.01 (only 7.50$ US or 10$ CAN). My grinder turns at 3400 RPM. I believe it is a bit fast. Anyone have an opinion on this?

If it is too fast, I might have to mount pulley on the arbor to drive a mandrel (LeeValley 68K01.01)with a larger pulley on it.Here is a good link for determinig Pulley speed.
    http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/sto...ml&catref=wd17
    Last edited by boogatoo; 02-17-2006, 10:10 PM.

Boogatoo,
    My production model drum sander turns at 1300 rpm through pulleys. I suspect that you will have problems of overheating at 3400 rpm.

Rhys H.

Comment

I have been advised that a drum sander should not turn faster than 1800 RPM.
      Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

I will use a motor instead of a grinder

I will use a motor instead of a grinder. I found a 1730 RPM, 1/3 HP and will connect a 3 setps pulley to lower the speed while having variable speed.
        All this will be mounted on a 5/8 mandrel on wich I will screw a 1/2 R.H. drill chuck. Thanks for your advices.
        Last edited by boogatoo; 02-28-2006, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
          Reply to How’s that warm weather RJ?
          by jim_mex
          Hi folks - I really feel sorry for you people north of the border.

Here in Central Mexico, apart from a couple of days at the end of January where we had a couple of showers in the evenings we have seen hardly any clouds in the sky during the day since the New Year and although we 've...
          Today, 12:02 PM
        • jim_mex
          Reply to Blue Heron
          by jim_mex
          Wow! - this a stunning piece!

In particular the head is so lifelike it feels like if you got too close to this bird he (or she) would reach out and nip you with its beak....
          Today, 11:52 AM
        • planeur
          Reply to Blue Heron
          by planeur
          Hello Jo,
          It is me again , and after a close look of you Heron, WOW so much details and fine cuts. Was it a gift ?
          Just found the cie which sell the pattern ( in canada )

Have a good day.

planeur
          Today, 11:15 AM
        • jim_mex
          Workshop extension and major facelift - a work in progress
          by jim_mex
          Hi all -

Around the beginning of year I mentioned in a post that I was looking at ways to extend my existing workshop space to give me room to accommodate a midi lathe I had bought and to also allow me to undertake smallish carpentry projects in addition to scrollsaw work. Well, I finally
          Today, 11:12 AM
        • NC Scroller
          Reply to How’s that warm weather RJ?
          by NC Scroller
          Anyone hear from Jim Finn? He is from Texas.
          Today, 10:33 AM
        Working...
        X