What saws do you own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK,
    all you newbies need to add your saw information to this survey.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

scroll saws

My first was some version of a Craftsman that took pin blades. It bounced me all over the place, but it did give me enough of an idea that I would enjoy sawing. I then bought a Dremel at Lowes - not the current version. Unpacked it, cut once and put it back in the box and took it back to Lowes. I bought the Delta I currently have - unsure of the model number but it was around $150-$200. I knew I would enjoy cutting, but didn't know how much time I'd spend on it. Now I would like a big dog. I sold quite a few pieces to an art gallery (that's still pretty funny) so I will have $ I can put toward it. I discussed the reasons I would like to upgrade in an earlier thread, so I'll spare everybody that again.
      Cathy
      Cathy

Comment

Just voted, Rolf!

My old 16" Delta is not the greatest saw in the world, but I can make some pretty decent stuff on it. I do want to upgrade someday, though.

What I'd like to see, in addition to price breaks (I'm more interested in the upper-end saws), is what features are more useful than others. I've looked at the expensive saws at the Woodworking Shows, and I think the saw for me would be a collection of the best feature from each one of them.

Oh, also -- Gill, you said early on in this thread that you use different saws for different purposes. What makes one saw better for one use than another?

ThanKS!
        Kevin

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr. Seuss

NEW DeWalt 788 and that old, Jimmy- Jerry- and Kevin-rigged Delta 40-560

Comment

Since I am a "newbie" then i will tell you what I have. I have a 16 inch Ridged Scroll saw. It is varible speed.
          Seems easy to change blades. Works for me for now.

I do have a friend that has 8 peddle saws.
          He can make them really go.
          But thats not for me.

dale

Comment

Hi Kevin

I've got nice little Hegner which is great for piercing work because it has a quick release blade tension system. This makes blade changing pretty fast. However, one of the limitations of the saw is its variable speed which only goes as slow as 400 strokes per minute.

On the other hand, my Diamond takes much longer to change blades but it can be slowed right down to zero strokes per minute. This makes it great for delicate work or if I'm worried that the blade might overheat when cutting particularly thick stock. Also, I can rotate the blade holder through 360 degrees, making it possible to cut much larger projects than can be cut on the Hegner despite them having similar throat sizes.

At another extreme, the Spiralux works by the same principles that govern those saws used in hospitals to remove plaster casts without cutting the patient. It's a very weak saw and struggles to cut plywood more than 1/4" thick, but it's impossible to injure yourself with it. When you touch the blade with your finger, it doesn't cut you. This makes it great for people who are worried that they might injure themselves on the exposed blade. I've also used it with disabled people who would find it difficult to use conventional saws safely.

If you have more than one saw, you learn over time that each machine has its strengths and weaknesses and you exploit them accordingly.

Gill
            There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
            (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Dremel

I am new to scrolling. My first scroll saw was one my wife got for me from some internet store. I have no idea what kind it was. It was a cheap one from China. There is nothing wrong with Chinese tools as long as it is from a good factory, I have machinery built in China and have been to Beijing several times where we have the machines built. Anyway, the saw set on my work bench for about a year before I even turned it on. When I did try it, it shook like crazy and made lots of noise. I let it set again for a long time before I tried it again. Then I decided to look for one myself and I found a Dremel H3816 on ebay from someone in the local area, so I bought it and it was so much better that the first one. It was good enough to get me hooked to scroling and now after using it for a month, I am already looking to upgrade. I am impressed with the Dewalt (most of the tools in my shop are Dewalt), but I am leaning towards the new Excalaber. I would like to know from those of you who have the Excalaber what you think of it.

BTW Gill, I was wondering how long is takes to cut something out at zero strokes per minute? Do you move the work up and down on the blade by Hand? .
              Bill

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
              and website www.billswoodntreasures.com

Comment

Originally posted by utbva
                BTW Gill, I was wondering how long is takes to cut something out at zero strokes per minute? Do you move the work up and down on the blade by Hand? .
                He's made four posts and already he's extracting a sample of urine !

It's nice to see you're settling in .

Gill
                There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

We have 2 Dewalt 788, Dale wanted one and saw a really good deal after Christmas one year so I called Lowes all over and I finally found one in Florida, they shipped it to us, then a few months later we were at the picnic in Pontiac IL and Dale won one, so we can sit side by side and cut, which totally thrills him. LOL
                  I try but I am not near as good as Dale.
                  I hope someday I can be half as good as he is.

Comment

LOL
                    You're as funny as your photo would indicate, Gill.
                    Thanks for the reply. I had never heard of a Diamond and had never thought that a blade holder could be manufactured to rotate. Ease of blade changing is big with me since I do a lot of fretwork, but since my Delta is a 2-speed I haven't considered doing anything that would require a really slow speed. I don't know what my slower speed is, but I bet it's greater than 400!

Thanks again!
                    Kevin

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr. Seuss

NEW DeWalt 788 and that old, Jimmy- Jerry- and Kevin-rigged Delta 40-560

Comment

I don't know if I should put this in this thread or in the bragging section, but I just purchased an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS saw on ebay. It says it is brand new and I think I got it for a good price. Now I just have to wait until it is delivered to know what it is like. Now I would like to ask those of you that own RBI's what hints or suggestions you may have that will make it easier for me to learn to use this saw. Thanks for your help in advance.
                      Bill

I have an RBI Hawk 220-3 VS

Visit my Gallery
                      and website www.billswoodntreasures.com

Comment

Bought a Mastercraft from Canadian Tire on sale for $80. Didn't know anything about scrolling when I bought it. Lucky for me it turned out to be variable speed and takes pinned and pinless. Didn't take me long to switch to pinless. Yes it vibrate a lot because also it is not bolted down. I use it on the kitchen table. Wipe down the dust and serve supper!!!
                        It has a 3 year warrantee which I will last out. I am already planning on buying another one but not sure what I want.
                        2 years left on the saw.
                        Diane
                        Last edited by Dragon; 12-19-2006, 10:15 AM.
                        Dragon
                        Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                        Owner of a Dewalt 788
                        PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

I have a Dewalt Saw......

cutting up one piece at a time

Comment

I have a 16" Craftsman that I bought 1/2 price for $150 CAN on sale. I read a little and the Craftsman got some good reviews and I certianly couldn't beat the price. It works really great! I know if I continue scrolling that I will probably be moving up to some better equipment, but I can tell you for sure that I will always keep the Craftsman unless it burns out or blows up. I find it really easy to use and set up. My only complaint is the guard, which I have removed, since it really only got in my way.

Comment

I got my money back from Canadian Tire on that saw and have since invested in a DeWalt 788. Really happy with it.
                              Diane
                              Dragon
                              Owner of a Dewalt 788
                              PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

I am not able ro re-vote on this. My name should be added to the Dewalt poll and taken off "other".
                                Diane
                                Dragon
                                Owner of a Dewalt 788
                                PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                  Reply to Phone call from son.
                                  by will8989
                                  Talked to him yesterday after he was coherent. Very fortunately, it was dc current. He said ac current and would have ended differently. And it wasn’t a house. It was a converter box in a marina located on a deck cut into a 20’ high steep bank. They had to climb a ladder to get to it. And they were...
                                  Today, 10:53 PM
                                • garryatpa
                                  Reply to A Bear In The Woods
                                  by garryatpa
                                  Wow!!!! That is beautiful. Super job of sawing. If I worked it out correctly it took you less than a minute for each opening especially when I look at the amount of time it would take to saw the outline of the bear. Garry
                                  Today, 10:43 PM
                                • meflick
                                  Reply to Phone call from son.
                                  by meflick
                                  Glad to hear your son is fine Betty but what a scary thing.
                                  Today, 01:10 PM
                                • meflick
                                  Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                                  by meflick
                                  Welcome to the forum from another Tennessean....
                                  Today, 01:04 PM
                                • John Smith
                                  Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                                  by John Smith
                                  Thanks guys, I have a lot of HDU left over from my sign business in various thicknesses.
                                  HDU doesn't "fuse" or repair itself under heat or friction. Only acrylics and some PVC materials do that. Depending on what part of the world you are in, you would have to google HDU Distributors...
                                  Today, 10:01 AM
                                Working...
                                X