Spiral problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiral problem

Working on a pattern that has veins and requires me to use a spiral to eliminate the drill hole. My problem is that is takes me forever to get the spiral locked in at the blade clamp. I cannot seem to get them to flatten out on the ends so they'll hold. Blade keeps coming out and they end up breaking before I get some good use out of them. I went through a dozen when it should've taken a 1/3 of that. Granted they are 2/0 blades but they still will not flatten out and hold. Am I missing something or is there a trick I haven't thought of? I'll get 1 out of 5 to flatten early and hold and thats it. I'll tighten the clamp tension down and they still slip out the back or front. This is causing me aggravation and taking up way to much time. Help please!
    Confuscious says, "The cautious seldom err".
    Confuscious didn't own a scrollsaw either.

I have had that problem with the quickclamps on a Delta.
    You might want to use a pair of pliers to flatten the blade before you start.

I am not sure but small piece of sandpaper folded with the grit together may hold the blades in the clamps. I havn't tried it, just a thought.

There is a new spiral blade with flat ends you can use too.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I have the same problem and it bugs the wee wassel out of me to tighten a small spiral and it either pops from being to tight or because it didn't hold in the clamp- both are cause to jump and very frustrating -but there is a way to do it- heres what I do -it may work for you=
      make yourself a "wrench" out of PVC and a PVC cap - I use a 3/4 inch- make a + on the top cutting through both cap and pipe the width of your clamp wing - add a1/2 dowel through the other end of your pipe to give you a grip handle-- I have made one because I don't have the strength to tighten the little red screw thingy that is a stupid screw that they think is a so called clamp-- personally I wish they had that screw somewhere south of their waist-- any how you may even try sanding the end of the screw to make sure it is perfectly flat - needless to say mine wasn't but it is now - now as far as the tension goes you need to loosen up on it a bit- especially on the 2/0 spiral it seems to be a big problem on breakage and if i keep mine not to tight it works great - hope this helps .. but there is a solution to most any problem and someone here probably has the answer.
      Happy scrolling

Sharon

Comment

It's not the tension thats causing the breakage. I believe its the constant clamping and unclamping from it popping out every time I turn it on and trying to flatten it. I've gotta come up with something because of the extra time and not to mention having to buy blades. I'm fixing to try a Zaffino portrait and I'd like to get something figured out by then. Would taking a pair of pliers and manually flatten the blade end first help?
        Confuscious says, "The cautious seldom err".
        Confuscious didn't own a scrollsaw either.

Comment

it should but I hit mine with a hammer on the anvil end of my vice--when I rember to- but the ends will break and when that happens (if it is just the ends) I just loosen the tension and keep on keeping on with the same blade--they will how ever tend to bend on the end that you put into the clamp and for that I use a square nose non tooth plier to straighten it out. only time i throw away a spiral is if I get the tension to tight and it breaks in the middle-- I tighten the bottom clamp on the blade and remove the top on to load my piece --from the bottom of my work --so as long as the bottom holds I only loosen from the top-- hope this helps
          Sharon

Comment

spiral blades

Go to this site . Mike has flat end spiral blades .
            www.mikesworkshop.com
            Smitty
            Dewalt 788

Comment

I'm not sure what the problem is with spirals coming loose. I use an RBI saw and have had very little trouble holding spirals once I get them installed (that is sometimes difficult because of how they are made). However, as has been said, Mike has "flat-end" spirals and Sloan's Woodshop carries Olson FE spirals as well. I have used the small FE spirals from Olson and they work as well as any blade. The sizes available in FEs is still limited because new innovations in blades have to prove profitable before maufacturers invest the time, tooling, and moola in their production. I won't give any advice on spiral blade tension, etc because I firmly believe that depends a lot on the saw and the operator involved.
              Moon
              Old Mooner

Comment

The clamps on some saws have a very precise clamping point between a thumbscrew and an Allan screw. These clamps seem to do a better job on spirals.

Both of my saws, clamp the blade between jaws. If the blade is not flat the spiral tends to collapse between the jaws. As they collapse the friction between the jaws and the blade is reduced. If you purchase the spirals with flat ends this isn't a problem.
                CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Spirals

Not Sure What Type Saw You Have But If The Blades Keep Slipping Out Your Clamps May Have Formed A Grove In The Holder Themsels. If You Can, Take The Clamps Apart And Rub Them Against Some Fine Sand Paper . This Will Help With Groves And It Cleans Off Excess Oil Form The Blades, And Cleans Them Up. If Only One Side Comes Off Rub The Other As Best You Can . Good Luck---rain Man

Comment

Perhaps you should try Pegas spiral blades.
                    I have tried every one of the so called new and improved ones from another company and didn't like any of them. But they were from the same company (except one) with steel that broke too easy for me.
                    Since I switched to Pegas I am amazed at the extra sharpness and the strength and quality of that Swiss steel.

Pégas Scroll Saw Blades = Swiss Made Quality

Pégas use's a closely guarded fabricating process that produces crisp, sharp, precisely formed teeth, not found in other blades.
                    W.Y.
                    http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Weasel
                      Working on a pattern that has veins and requires me to use a spiral to eliminate the drill hole. My problem is that is takes me forever to get the spiral locked in at the blade clamp. I cannot seem to get them to flatten out on the ends so they'll hold. Blade keeps coming out and they end up breaking before I get some good use out of them. I went through a dozen when it should've taken a 1/3 of that. Granted they are 2/0 blades but they still will not flatten out and hold. Am I missing something or is there a trick I haven't thought of? I'll get 1 out of 5 to flatten early and hold and thats it. I'll tighten the clamp tension down and they still slip out the back or front. This is causing me aggravation and taking up way to much time. Help please!
                      Hi Capt sounds like you have had the same probleam i have had too. the first thing i would say is. you can cut your vains (first) with a flat blade. then follow up with a spirale blade. If your willing to do those, blade changes. then i would say . a spirale is twisted. an when i take my blade out of the top clamp, it is hard to get back into the clamp becouse it is twisted or bent. I try to staighten it out with pliers an hold it to get it into the top clamp. what a bummer. lots of work huh. so what i have been doing is. I take the blade out of the top clamp,then remove the work and the bottom clamp.take the blade out of the work, then tread my blade through the bottom of my work as usal,on the next whole. (but dont put the bottom clamp in yet ), then put the blade into the top clamp first. tighten it . then put it into my bottom clamp holder. you can even give it a twist to keep it the way it was before you took it out of the top clamp.for the twist does come undone. my scrollsaw has a top arm so i can hold it down to do this. then hold the top arm down like always an put the bottom clamp in. then if the tention is off i can tieten it up some. doing it, this way you can put the blade back into the top clamp the same way it came out. this has saved me lots of time an frustration. hope you understood this. your friend Evie

Comment

One more idea to try. This depends on what saw you have , but on my yella saws, I leave the blade in the bottom holder, and feed through the bottom of the wood. if the twist on the spiral puts it so the clamp is compressing the blade, instead of actually clamping on it properly, I slide my tensioning lever over a tick or two, raising the arm enough to get the blade clamp screw in a position that will effectively hold the blade, without crimping or smashing the blade, or having it wiggle its way out as the screw is tightened. Once the blade is snugged up with the thumbscrew, i then add the proper amount of tension and shes ready for cutting. As for proper amount of tension its mainly by feel,experience, or lack there-of some say. I never really pay attention to what number on the tensioning lever I actually am going to, because rarely does it go to the same spot each time you tension, or change blades. Go by feel for that. I hope youve got it working now, let us know. Dale
                        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X