Sliding miter saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sliding miter saw

In a previous post I asked some questions about keeping my radial arm saw or not and who's using a table saw to cut blanks. I just saw something that's been out for awhile but I never thought about it. A sliding miter saw. These are really neat and have an effective blade guard so as a klutz I feel safer. With a 12" blade. it'll cut up to 12 3/4 wide and 4" high. The majority of my cuts are 1/8 to 1 1/2 by up to 12"wide, so I bought one. If I need to cut something wider, I'll use the table saw. I'm kissing my radial arm saw goodbye. Anyone else using the sliding saw?

Harris

That is on my I WANT BAD list-- first is a band saw _I think a sliding miter makes more sence than a simple chop saw -- I mean you can even miter the whole side and no need to worry about cutting my finger ( again ) .I have gotten to hate turning my table saw on because I always seem to get blood on things when I use it ..lol
    Proud you got your sliding miter --now I ll just sigh hard as I dream of when I can afford one.. ( deep breath -- sighhhhh )
    Sharon

Comment

I don't see the need for a radial arm saw either. I've got a SIP "red-eye" 10" sliding compound mitre saw and it's just the job for trimming boards. Even the laser is accurate, and at £135 ($239) it certainly didn't break the bank.

Gill
      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Yes, I have a makita 10 inch sliding compound miter saw (LS1013). Its a valuable addition to your shop, especially on those roof angles on the bigger clocks.With this, and a tablesaw, I have no use for a radial arm saw.
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I got my radial arm saw for free, my mitre saw I got as a birthday gift.
          The sliding mitre sounds like it fits the gap for many things.

Funny when I was younger I used to want to accumulate a mass of tools. Now I am starting to see the value in properly selected tools.

The forum is full of good advice on tool selection. I wish my friends were all members so they would know what to buy me
          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Miter Saw

Carl...I have a small Proxxon table saw that I do all my small miters on but I do all my big stuff with the saw pictured in the attachment. I used a power compound miter saw for a long time but could never get corners that fit together perfectly. This one is a little more work but it does a fine job and not too expensive.
            Attached Files
            If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

I know this an older thread but I just got one need to crow a bit. I to got tired of setting up the table saw when I went to cut blanks. I have to measure the fence off everytime I change and I can't cut anything to long. So I went and bi tthe bullet and got what I wanted. Got a 12" sliding compound saw that cuts out to 13 1/2". Talk about sweet! Cut out a single 8x10 in seconds. Smooth and splinter free. Mark, cut, done. Only thing I have to do is cut my sheets down from 5x5 into 14" strips and thats it and I had to do that before anyway. If can get one get it. It'll save alot of prep time and I might venture into my own frames soon because of the accuracy,old 10" was wore out.
              I got a recon. Rigid from the Home Depot website for about $350 + s/h. Comes with 60T blade and laser,its off by about 3/16" but I think they all are. Wouldn't use it anyway. I couldn't pass up the price for what I got. Basically got it half price with warrenty to boot.
              Get one and try it, you'll wonder how ya' did with out.
              Confuscious says, "The cautious seldom err".
              Confuscious didn't own a scrollsaw either.

Comment

I have a 8 1/2" Hitachi for work and a 10" Hitachi with laser for home. Awesome and accurate!

Tim
                "All it Takes For the Forces of EVIL to Rule Is For Enough GOOD People To DO NOTHING!"

Saws: Excaliber 30; Dewalt 788 'Twins', Makita SJ401 (Retired), Grizzly G1012 18" Bandsaw

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X