cyprus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cyprus

I have come across nice large planks of cyprus. (2' X 8' X 3 ' ) My good , sharp carving tools are storage ( soon to come out and ready for work) But can anyone tell me the qualities of cyprus as a carving wood. That is, durability, ease of carving, splitting, 'grain stability' ( shredding) etc. All help appreciated. If you give a good answer and pay shipping, I'll send you a block.

Re: cyprus

According to my Tangerman book:
    Weight per cu ft 29 (basswood is 24)
    Hardness Soft
    Strength Med
    Stability Good
    Gluing Fair
    Nailing Fair (ability to take nails without splitting)
    Steam Bending Poor
    Plaining and Jointing Good
    Turning Poor
    Sanding Fair
    Shaping Poor
    Mortising Poor
    Tends to splinter. Most durable of American woods for outdoor and soil exposure.

Used to have a boat built of cypress and can vouch for the durability. The thing just wouldn't rot.

Comment

also heard is hard on knives and is more of a power carving wood....just what I heard...no experience with cypress! :

Comment

I've carved several cypress knees and have found it easy to carve and not any harder on the tools than basswood. As for a cypress plank from the trunk, I can't say, I've had no experience with that part of the tree.

Steve

Comment

Should make great outdoor signs.

Comment

Hi, can you tell me where one can get a cypress knee? I am really a beginning woodcarver, have taken a few workshops in Native American Northern Coastal pieces,carved a rattle of maple wood (bled a lot) put my father's, husband's and son's ivory elk teeth and a few pieces of the bullets in it , a canoe paddle of yellow cedar, full size, a Potlatch serving bowl, and a salmon of cedar. I would like to obtain a cypress knee. I have been reading the questions and answers and feel like I am learning quite a lot from them, thanks. I don't know how to do the smiley's or any of those tags so will just be Plain Jill for now.

Comment

This is one site I found on the net.
              I don't know anything about them.

http://www.cypressknee.com/index2.htm

Comment

Hi, thank you so much for the site, I looked it up already and it is just exactly what I was looking for. Plain Jill

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                  New Toy!
                  by Rolf
                  A family friends father passed away and he was an avid bird carver. So my nephew is helping the family sell some of his tools. I bought this air cleaner and will b uy most of his carving knives and burrs. And no that is not my workshop! Not even close. ...
                  Today, 04:47 PM
                • Rolf
                  Reply to EX dust collection holes screwed up a project.!
                  by Rolf
                  I just did a quick job on my table. Charles Hand has noticed that the adhesive on the new rolls of Contact brand shelf paper leaves a residue. He has changed to The duck brand. I just bought a roll and covered my table with it. It is a tough slick surface. It will be interesting to see how it holds...
                  Today, 04:44 PM
                • axor
                  Reply to Shawl pins
                  by axor

Yes, they can be used for hair. If they are made a little larger than the original, the shawl pins will work great in the hair!...
                  Today, 03:21 PM
                • handibunny
                  by handibunny
                  Rolf, smaller bowl-cutting angles, 30˚ or less, usually don't present a problem either with vibration or for cutting into the table. It's when you get into the 40˚ and 45˚ range that things get dicey for both. (The Seyco saw doesn't even cut bevels greater than 35˚ or so!) If you add even a slight...
                  Today, 09:21 AM
                • Bill Wilson
                  by Bill Wilson
                  I've done some bevel cutting on my EX-21 as well and also have not experienced any added vibration, nor have I cut into the table. Perhaps I haven't cut at a steep enough angle, but the existing blade hole has been sufficient. I do despise the useless vacuum holes, but I've learned to live with them...
                  Today, 09:06 AM
                Working...
                X