cyprus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cyprus

I have come across nice large planks of cyprus. (2' X 8' X 3 ' ) My good , sharp carving tools are storage ( soon to come out and ready for work) But can anyone tell me the qualities of cyprus as a carving wood. That is, durability, ease of carving, splitting, 'grain stability' ( shredding) etc. All help appreciated. If you give a good answer and pay shipping, I'll send you a block.

Re: cyprus

According to my Tangerman book:
    Weight per cu ft 29 (basswood is 24)
    Hardness Soft
    Strength Med
    Stability Good
    Gluing Fair
    Nailing Fair (ability to take nails without splitting)
    Steam Bending Poor
    Plaining and Jointing Good
    Turning Poor
    Sanding Fair
    Shaping Poor
    Mortising Poor
    Tends to splinter. Most durable of American woods for outdoor and soil exposure.

Used to have a boat built of cypress and can vouch for the durability. The thing just wouldn't rot.

Comment

also heard is hard on knives and is more of a power carving wood....just what I heard...no experience with cypress! :

Comment

I've carved several cypress knees and have found it easy to carve and not any harder on the tools than basswood. As for a cypress plank from the trunk, I can't say, I've had no experience with that part of the tree.

Steve

Comment

Should make great outdoor signs.

Comment

Hi, can you tell me where one can get a cypress knee? I am really a beginning woodcarver, have taken a few workshops in Native American Northern Coastal pieces,carved a rattle of maple wood (bled a lot) put my father's, husband's and son's ivory elk teeth and a few pieces of the bullets in it , a canoe paddle of yellow cedar, full size, a Potlatch serving bowl, and a salmon of cedar. I would like to obtain a cypress knee. I have been reading the questions and answers and feel like I am learning quite a lot from them, thanks. I don't know how to do the smiley's or any of those tags so will just be Plain Jill for now.

Comment

This is one site I found on the net.
              I don't know anything about them.

http://www.cypressknee.com/index2.htm

Comment

Hi, thank you so much for the site, I looked it up already and it is just exactly what I was looking for. Plain Jill

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                  Reply to Communion cross
                  by cwmagee
                  That is beautiful.

I am chaffing at the bit to get back to the scroll saw, Unfortunately the urban renewal project "Redoing the deck" has taken over all of my time.
                  Yesterday, 09:25 PM
                • daveswoodworking
                  Comment on 2020 Ornament Exchange
                  by daveswoodworking
                  Yes I’ll send you the list of names and address to sent to after after the dead line
                  Thank you for join the exchange
                  Yesterday, 09:24 PM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to Communion cross
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  Excellent contrast not only in wood choices (LOVE the bocote), but also 90 degree corners on the bocote and radius corners on the maple. Very nice!
                  Yesterday, 08:46 PM
                • vgraf
                  Reply to 2020 Ornament Exchange
                  by vgraf
                  I signed up four four, Will you be sending the list of where to send my ornaments?
                  Yesterday, 08:19 PM
                • Trackman
                  Reply to Winter issue
                  by Trackman
                  Got mine in East Central Indiana. Carole has a nice bowl idea an couple of tool reviews
                  Yesterday, 07:44 PM
                Working...
                X