Bark magic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bark magic

I carve cottonwood bark...From the beginning (1971) I have enjoyed the magic of bark, each and every piece is unique. Keeping an open mind helps me visualize what comes next : I recently discovered some of it has musical quallities also. Art

Re: Bark magic

OK, I'll bite, what are the musical qualities?

Al

Comment

ok me too? and do you have a source for your bark?

Comment

unlike the magic which you can or cannot see, you have to bop your hatchet against it and listen to the sounds... : which you may or may not hear..... I gave myself the nicknamed 'the barkguy' about 20 yrs. ago. Mother earth is my source, gathering and carving is my thing.....Art

Comment

Art,
          I also carve bark cottonwood, black locust, black poplar, willow if its thick enough for a carving I carve it. I find that it is very popular with my customers and I cant keep a bark carving on the shelf there is a great demand for them and they are the easiest to carve.
          Colin

Comment

Before we moved from Colorado, kept hearing about really thick cottonwood bark there? But we had 5 acres of mostly cottonwoods and it was thin, would like to find a reasonably priced source of thick cottonwood bark (only kind of thick bark I have seen, don't know about others.)

Comment

I ordered some real nice thick bark from Alex Bisso. I got his info on this bulletin board one time. His email is [email protected]. You give him an idea of thickness, length and quantity and he boxes up pieces to fit. He was very helpful about weighing it and getting my approval before shipping. It sells by the pound but I do not remember the cost. You might give him a try.

Comment

Barry, I sell Bark the same way...by the pound and in a box. However I didn't plan to use this thread for doing business, I was hoping to see a little feedback about the great fun and intresting forms to work with when starting up with a cool piece of bark....Art

Comment

How much do you charge?

Comment

send me your address I will send you some for nothing. What are you going to carve from it?..Art

Comment

Just returned from Northern Minnesota. While there I helped an old friend move into his new house.

In his front yard were 5 HUGE cottonwoods. After looking around all of them I found a loose chunk of bark about 3' thick and 4'w x 10'l and proceeded to carve him a woodspirit as a housewarming gift.

Needless to say, I felt very proud when he took it and hung it on his front porch by the door.

Comment

If offering someone a name or supplier is 'doing business' then I apologize. I was under the impression that this bullletin board was for carvers and to help carvers. I am not sure why Art the Bark Guy seems to want all of the rules to fit his preferences and he does not have room for anyone else to hand out a name or discuss 'cheating' if that is what they want. One of the things that has attracted my interest in carving is the open and accepting atmosphere of most carvers. Everyone tries to help each other out - with a tool recomendation, a new pattern or even a name to pick up supplies. What can be wrong with that?
                        Barry Bowers

Comment

There is nothing wrong with giving someone an address of an individual or business that can help you get what you need! Especially now days when it is hard to find good or cheap prices and honest people to deal with...you are right to about this board...helping each other is what it is all about. I have told people here about Don Wedll as a source for basswood, I have no qualms in continuing to do so, Don has been more than fair with me and has outstanding wood..at least to me and I am not a wood expert.....but anyway, lets get on with carving, if we can't all agree on something, lets at least agree to be sociable and leave the issue lay if it rubs someone wrong...and I am not pointing fingers here, just a general statement, I like this board to much to see it damaged by factioning...oh by the way there Bark Guy, name is Dave Dunlap, PO Box 3691, Kingman Arizona, 86402 and thank you!

Comment

missed part of your question Artolver...thinking of trying a wood spirit..naturally ! or maybe do a Santa Claus just to be a little different...depends on the bark I guess.

Comment

Early on I sent my address out on a list and was attacked from all directions for doing so. So I guess I'm to old to catch up with the computer stuff, Whats fair and whats not........I am **** sorry about that. I still would like to hear some interesting things other people are doing with the bark and to offer to share some ideas of my own. I have to admit I was more than crabby about the whole cheating thing. Rick- in -Seattle Wrote the best reply.. Help me out here Rick, you know me. I'm one of your biggest fans, you are like a father figure to me. Art in Algona (Pacific actually)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X