3 Telephone Poles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Telephone Poles

I have 5/8 telephone poles of different lenghs and was wondering what to carve on them,i was thinking of maybe trying to carve a Woodspirit like Colins on part of one, has anyone any suggestions, they are about 7 or 8 inches in width and as ive only been carving for 2 years i will try anything,all ideas will be welcome
    Cheers Steve
    http://community.webshots.com/album/77093585IfWTnn

Re: 3 Telephone Poles

Newgouger,
    I dont know about in Ireland but here in Canada and the USA the telephone poles were soaked in kreasote to preserve the wood years ago. They are not allowed to do that anymore but be careful kreasote can be deadly if inhaled it has been linked to cancer in humans so be very careful. Poles are always good for tree spirits or totem's but I have seen some really nice scenes done of poles so there is my two cents worth.
    Colin

Comment

Yep i can smell the creasote in them, so does that mean i cant carve them :'( o well just my luck lol
      Cheers Steve

Comment

If you are new to carving, do not carve in that pole!!!

If you do, you will never carve again. It is possible to have a miserable carving experience and carving one of those poles would rank right up there with a sharp stick in the eye!! At least, that is the case if they have creasote in them.

Get yourself a nice block of basswood, tupelo, or sugar pine and have an enjoyable experience. It takes a while to climb to the heights where Colin is. Learn to carve using some of the best materials. Then, go for the junk, if that is your thing. Happy carving!!

Comment

Re the Creasote treatment of power poles and other timber structures, I used to work for an electricity suply authority and would like to make you aware that there were some nasty additives to the Creasote that was used. Stuff like Clordane, Heptachlor, Tanalith and some others that worked better on Humans than on the bugs they were suposed to kill.
          My advice is to be really carefull with the chips and dust, wear close fitting clothing, glovea and a propper respirator. DO NOT.....burn the chips and other waste a the chemicals will contaminate the ground and the air. Bury them somewhere where they will not contaminate ground-water or rivers etc.
          Above all, take care.
          The same goes for CCA (The green coloured treatment on outdoor furniture, decks and poles). Burning releases the preservative into the air, but otherwise it is fairly safe to handle, apart from the dust.
          Cheers from Down-Under.

Comment

I agree with Woodenleg,,,DO NOT CARVE IN THOSE POLES!
            Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
              Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
              by jim_mex
              Hi guys - it seems like I am back in business. The offending 'F' key seemed to lack sufficient travel to push down on the main board so I stuck a thin sliver of plastic under it with super glue and that seems to have solved the problem.

The only downside is I now have no excuses for my...
              Today, 08:42 AM
            • Rolf
              Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
              by Rolf
              WOW! I really like your taste in doors etc. I have have always leaned towards contemporary / modern. But our house is a small cape and that style would not suit it. Since we are both Geminis we have 4 people and our house is very eclectic. Each room has a bit of different style.
              Today, 08:20 AM
            • Rolf
              Reply to New tools
              by Rolf
              You tube is a real blessing when it comes to learning new stuff. I have watched one that compared the flux core and gas mig weld. If I remember correctly polarity comes into play. The flux core weld was really nice. Have fun.
              I was told by the cardiologist that I am not allowed to weld because...
              Today, 08:14 AM
            • Rolf
              by Rolf
              The contacts on the keyboard main board are a screen printed silver metal the keys have small membrane switches under them, the probability of repair is slim. spilled coffee takes out the contacts almost instantly, the voice of experience,
              Today, 08:06 AM
            • NC Scroller
              by NC Scroller
              Only our riend Jim....😂😂😂
              Today, 06:24 AM
            Working...
            X