Aspen anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspen anyone?

I have started a carving in aspen for the first time, and I'm wondering why this isn't a more commonly spoke of carving medium. It is a bit soft, so you have to use sharp tools to keep it from tearing, but no more than tupelo or basswood. So, if you find yourself deciding, try some aspen. Or if you have a headache, take two aspen and call me in the morning.
    I Cut It Six Times And It's Still Too Short!!!

Re: Aspen anyone?

I've pretty much used aspen, exclusively. First cuz I can cut it myself for free from blowdowns, and then because it carves nicely. I find it a mite harder than basswood, but that could be a local phenomenon.

Probably not more widely used because it is cut primarily for pulpl use and that means it gets clear-cut when about 8-10 inches in dia. so most doesn't grwow to lumber-size. That that does is sold for furniture mfg. (upholstered type and low end) and pallets. Once word gets out, though, who knows?

Al

Comment

I don't know about aspen but I sure found out how much nicer basswood is than pine over the weekend. As I've mentioned before, when I started carving I used the ends of 2x4's, that's all I could find at first. Finally found basswood and have used just it since.....until this weekend. I needed a base, just going to paint it like snow so figured why waste my basswood, I'll just use this old piece of one by...big mistake, bandsawed really easily, carved like a son of a gun! I'd say my pine days are over!!
      Wouldn't mind trying some aspen though, lots of it around. Maybe when I try that first wind spirit, would it be good for that?! Callynne
      http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Aspen does NOT hold the bark very well......it is really thin bark and dries and peels, or gets stringy, although the wood would carve easily enough.

Al

Comment

I've carved a lot with aspen. Very similar to basswood imho. 8)

Comment

having moved here from Colorado, have used aspen...a lot! brought a few sticks with me...but I agree that it is just a bit harder than basswood and I find that it chips a bit easier than basswood...but then have had some basswood that chips fairly easy as well....I treat both the same....a spritz of rubbing alcohol and keep on carvin' LOL I think I mentioned on here about a tree that is local, navajo willow...its carves very good and a neighbor just lost several of his poplar trees, and they carve like butter! He has a 'ton' of it,on the ground and dry, so going to get a bunch of sticks and see what happens!

Comment

Is the rubbing alcohol formula used straight ot a mixture of half anf half with water?

Thanks
              Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

I hear people do it both ways, a good carver at the carving show in Ft Collins Colo. said he puts 100% on his wood, the alcohol costs pennies and it isn't worth the trouble to mix it, plus it evaporates fast off your hands and you aren't having to wipe them to keep working etc etc, so I took his advice and have been using 100% since.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X