Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woods that can kill!!!!!!

Hello People

Here's a link to a site that lists all the woods and there various toxicities. Everyone should have it to know just how dangerous some of the woods can be. And you thought it was just the bears we had to worry about when gathering our next carving project. http://www.riparia.org/toxic_woods.htm

Elmer

Re: Woods that can kill!!!!!!

I'll add to that list; most cedars and hemlock (no, not the kind that got Socrates) can be extremely irritating to both skin and lungs. The skin reaction is usually caused by volatile oils in the bark and needles, when harvesting, but those same irritants are present to lesser degrees in the dust and fibers of the wood. This would include the Arbor Vitae varieties.

Any of the 'spalted' or otherwise degrading woods (fungal) can be cause for severe respiratory infections, so good respirators are called for when dealing with these woods.

Al

Comment

Re: Woods that can kill!!!!!!

A good woodworking practice is to always wear eye and breathing protection when working in wood dust of any kind. This is a great list of toxin woods, but understand that the studies are not all exhaustive, and exposure to any airborne particulate is not healthy. Take proper eye and respiratory protection measures as you do for cuts and you should come out OK. IMHO.
      Cheers
      Ric

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
        Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
        by Quartz43
        I would not use regular plywood but Baltic Birch is different. On Steve Garrisons Facebook page someone posted a shell with either Baltic Birch or something like Spectraply. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of tearing or splintering with either cutting or sanding.

Using solid...
        Today, 09:09 AM
      • will8989
        Reply to countdown for Bruce.
        by will8989
        Bruce took the “zipper”ff today. Yep, the stitches were zipper type. When we were packing up at the market Sunday, the coffee vendor asked if we wanted a taste of his chocolate whiskey coffee. We said no thanks. After driving to Annapolis in the truck today to get Elliott, Bruce said he was going...
        Yesterday, 10:12 PM
      • will8989
        Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
        by will8989
        I usually don’t use plywood, but I think it works beautifully with these patterns. On my to do list in January.
        Yesterday, 10:02 PM
      • will8989
        Reply to Back in the saddle again
        by will8989
        I enlarge and shrink patterns all time. I use rapid resizer. I did locate some scrap wood that would be perfect for the smaller size. I also mad some of the nativity Steve had a week ago. I’m taking stuff to the market for feedback. Of the 11 ornaments I took last week I came home with 3. Guess you...
        Yesterday, 09:59 PM
      • will8989
        Reply to Starting again
        by will8989
        And to do something different. I’m trying to schedule part or a whole day to bowl grinding. Of course, we had a 7 year old visitor most of the day as he had a half day today. So much for using the grinder. instead I put a bandaid on a scratch on his elbow so he “wouldn’t bleed to death”. Than...
        Yesterday, 09:55 PM
      Working...
      X