Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DW788 table out of square. Can you check yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DW788 table out of square. Can you check yours?

As mentioned on a previous post about my new DW788, I could square my blade on the right side of the table but not on left. I put a straight edge from right to left on the table and it was NOT flat. As you probably know, these tables are cast and then machined flat.

I went to exchange my table at Western Tool, the place I bought the saw from. However, the table they wanted to exchange had the same problem. It also was not flat. Fortunately, the Dewalt repair station was a short way down the road and when the tech checked the table with his straight edge, he saw that it had a crown of about 1/8". Thank goodness he agreed with me because I thought mabybe I was being too pickey. I had to leave the table there and of course their sending me a new one.

I have only been scrolling a short time and am already feeling withdrawals. What the heck, it'll give me some time to fix up a dust collector on my radial arm saw.

Now for the question. For those of you with a DW788, if you have the time would you please put a straight edge across your table, just in front of the blade opening and tell me what you find?
    Last edited by harrisg; 12-14-2005, 10:51 PM.

I found that if I put a straight edge across my table that it touches one side, the center, and that there is a 1/16" gap between the opposite table edge and the straight edge.

So I checked my well used/thoroughly thrashed Delta 350 and found the table perfectly flat.

I then checked my table saw table - flat, drill press table - flat, and truck tires - inflated..........

I'll be curious to hear what others find. Please keep us posted on any news from Dewalt.

I haven't noticed any problems with cutting detailed fretwork. Just finished cutting some small flowers last night and the edges don't appear angled or skewed.......

I also noticed that I'm no longer a "Junior" member.......
    Last edited by bearfretworks; 12-14-2005, 11:25 PM.
    ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

Mine is dead on flat. I will give you another detail to check if anyone is interested. It came up on another forum and I have a email into Dewalt but have not gotten any answer yet. Harris, when you go back to the place where you bought the saw ask the guy to check the relationship of the blade to the table front to back. In other words take a small square and place it on the back side of the blade. Make sure the blade is in the holders correctly. If they do not have a short square you can take the blade out and turn it around and check from the front with a larger square. But after the blade is in place and you have the square just touching the blade push the blade by hand through it's motion and observe the relationship of the blade to the square. It has been found that the blade is always leaning forward and the back of the table needs to be lifted. Now this does not come into play much with pieces up to 3/4" but when stack cutting and doing 3D work it just may because the bottom is overcutting more than the top.

If you have a Dewalt and would like to check that out and let us know it would be fine. Also if you do do it can you tell us where your saw was made if it is an older one it was made in Canada and the others are now made I think in Taiwain or somewhere. I have never seen this brought up before until recently.
      John T.

Comment

I just checked a brand new 788. The table is significantly dished, easily 1/16" or more, front to back and same side to side. I guess I will be making some telephone calls. Didn't bother to check the tires on the truck. Seems like a saw that sells for the mid-$400s should have a flat table?

Comment

I received a new replacement table in about a week and it's dead on flat. I agree with the last poster. For $400 plus, there should be better QC on the tables. Also, how much could it cost them to add something to hold the arm up when inserting the blade on inside cuts?

On the other side, I LOVE MY DEWALT.....

Harris

Comment

Harris

This is what you get when these big companies try to save money and ship the work overseas. I agree the QC should be better and that is the case with anything. Just kep the production line moving we will fix it later is their motto. As far as the arm lift the reason it does not is that saw is designed to be a top feeding saw. That means you need to have the arm stay down while you insert the bottom part of the blade into the holder. People over the years have gotten creative to adapt it to a bottom feeding saw. In this case you want the arm to stay up and out of the way. Some people use a chunk of wood under it, some use a bungie cord and some use the device made for this purpose a "Jim Dandy" easy lift system which is easy to install. Part #T196 in Wildwood Designs.

One other thing that so far no one has bothered to check on their Dewalts is front to back blade travel. Does the blade travel at a 90 degrees up and down within specs. I along with many others have found that the older saws had the table tilted too high in the front and this would show up if stack cutting over 3/4" or doing 3D work. Just thought some would like to check their saws. Being you taking the time to look for flat table tops.
            John T.

Comment

Quote;;....This is what you get when these big companies try to save money and ship the work overseas . . . Quote;;...

Actually them now being made overseas has nothing to do with the bad tables on those saws. Before I upgraded from a DeWalt saw, mine had a severe dip from the center hole to the front but I didn't check it until after it was out of warranty so they wouldn't replace it.
              It was a common problem with those saws from day one even when they were made in Canada. It is just a lack of quality control.
              I have heard that some people took their table to a machine shop where they plane cylinder heads for cars and get them planed dead flat.
              Hope this tip helps some DeWalt owners because I have never seen it mentioned on any of the sites before.
              W.Y.

PS. Is there a proper way of pasting a quote in this site instead of the way I did it. I would imagine it would be one of the icons above when typing a message but they don't say what they are when I hover my pointer over them.
              Thanks
              http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

PS. Is there a proper way of pasting a quote in this site instead of the way I did it. I would imagine it would be one of the icons above when typing a message but they don't say what they are when I hover my pointer over them.
                Thanks
                It's the yellow box that looks like a thought balloon used in cartoons.
                Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Originally posted by William Young (SE BC)
                  Quote;;....This is what you get when these big companies try to save money and ship the work overseas . . . Quote;;...

Thanks
                  Click on the quote button in the bottom of the window. You can highlite the stuff you don't want to quote and then delete it.
                  CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                  "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                  Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Well woodbutcher, you learn something new every day. I didnt see that one
                    I usually just click on the quote down below. Someday I will look at all the features this board has to offer.
                    Last edited by CanadianScroller; 12-29-2005, 09:38 AM.
                    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I didnt see that one
                      I usually just click on the quote down below. Someday
                      Well, salt me down and call me peanuts. That was toooo easy and I feel embarrased now about asking about it.
                      Thanks for the help.
                      W.Y.
                      http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

OK woodbutcher, I'm going to ask you a dumb question. Where is the yellow box? Go easy on me because I'm from Indiana.

Bob
                        Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Come on Bob! The Canadians found it, eh?
                          Click on "Post Reply".
                          When you open the "Reply to Thread" screen, there are two lines of symbols in the message area. On the first line it shows fonts and sizes. Look to the right and you'll see two curved arrows, one pointing left and one pointing right. Look right under the one pointing to the right.
                          Despite what you people in the Central and Southern part of the state think, we got some smarts up here!
                          Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

I finally remembered to check my saw tables last night. On the older dewalt (by older,its a 8 month diffrence in when I acquired the saw,not actual manufacture date)on the older one, the table is dead on flat across the table, and it is about 1/32 inch lower at the very back corner. Im guessing on 1/32,but 4 pieces of paper can slide under the straightedge at the back.On the newer dewalt the table does appear to be just a touch higher at the blade hole. Not quite 1/32 of an inch higher going across the table,but slightly more then 1/32 going to the very back of the table. On both of my yella saws, from the front edge to the blade hole its perfectly flat. Ive never even thought to check it for flatness before,and now that I know its not perfectly flat, I plan to just keep using them as I always have,because if I havent noticed any trouble because of it by now, chances are,I never will. Dale
                            Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I checked mine today and found it to be off, but no more than about 1/32 and that's at the outside edges.
                              I can live with that, I'm not making parts for NASA!
                              Last edited by Woodbutcher68; 12-31-2005, 08:09 PM.
                              Fred

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                                Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by will8989
                                Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                                Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by will8989
                                Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                                Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                                Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                                Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                              Working...
                              X