Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How close a tolerance should a DW788 be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How close a tolerance should a DW788 be?

I love my DW788 but can't get the blade squared, using a small square on the left side looking at the saw. The other side is perfectly square. I tried two different straight edges across the table and both straight edges rocked on the left side. Then I cut into a 1x6, actually 3/4" thick piece of fir and tried to insert the kerf in from the back side. Almost went but almost only works in horseshoes. Tomorrow, I'm bringing the table back to the place I bought the saw from and am going to exchange for the table on their floor unit. It hasn't been used. They tell me that their's has a extreamly minor bow and that because the table is cast, tables will always be off a little.

Is this true on a Dewalt DW788?

Hard to believe that the table is bowed unless it was damaged after finishing, since it is a machined surface. Go to www.scrollsaws.com and check out the DeWalt tune-up section.
    Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

I am sorry I do not follow what you are saying. Did you put a straight edge across the table and you see a dip of some sort. If that is the case then by all means the table is defective. If you can not get the blade 90 degrees to the table then we might be able to help there. Please explain more. After rereading your post I see you must have used a straight edge. They are cast but the tops are then machined down to flatness thus the swirls in the table top.
      Last edited by jttheclockman; 12-13-2005, 08:14 PM.
      John T.

Comment

I will check both of mine tomarrow,but I think you have a bad machines surface.
        Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Yes, I put a 12" straight edge across the table from left to right with the 6" mark at the blade opening. If you looked at the table top with a light behind it, you could see light between the straight edge and table top on the left side. If you pushed on the left end of the staight edge it would rock downward. I'm not sure what the gap is, but I know the straight edge shouldn't rock but should be solid from side to side. I don't see this as a tune up item because I don't know how you'd tune up a defective table top. However, I'll check out the tune up article just to be sure I'm not missing something.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
            Reply to Plastic puzzle
            by Linda In Phoenix
            Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
            Today, 06:38 PM
          • Jim Finn
            Reply to Farmers market "survey"
            by Jim Finn
            The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
            Today, 04:48 PM
          • MidMich324
            Reply to Plastic puzzle
            by MidMich324
            Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
            Today, 03:57 PM
          • RJweb
            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
            by RJweb
            As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
            Today, 03:42 PM
          • Linda In Phoenix
            Farmers market "survey"
            by Linda In Phoenix
            Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
            I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
            For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
            Today, 11:14 AM
          Working...
          X