Need advice on planer & jointer purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on planer & jointer purchase

I'm planning on buying a planer and a jointer after x-mas. I've narrowed it down to 2 each and was looking for recommendations on them. One planer is a Craftsman that looks pretty good and the other is a Delta from Lowes. I know nothing of the Craftsman but I have read some good reviews at Amazon on the Delta. Both are about all I can afford right now at around $200 or so.
    The jointers are a Craftsman and a Delta. I've heard mixed reviews on the Delta at Amazon with some complaints on the fence system. I know nothing of the Craftsman but it is heavy and solid with steel fence system. Both are bench top models and are 6 1/8".
    I wish I could afford higher end models but I can't. I'm not looking for something that I need to make a living with. All I do is a little woodworking like adirondak chairs, endtables, scroll plaques etc. Nothing heavy duty an I might use them once or twice a week.
    Does anybody have any experiance with either of these jointers or planers? Any recommendation on which to get? I'm probably gonna have 2 get 1 of them from Lowes because I put the word out for Lowes gift certificates for X-mas.
    Confuscious says, "The cautious seldom err".
    Confuscious didn't own a scrollsaw either.

Stay away from the Craftsman. The Delta I suppose you are refering to is a 12" or 12 1/2" but for $150 more you get this It is a 13" and 2 speed with locking head. Now I can go into a whole big sales pitch here but won't because it ussually doesn't matter. The ones you are looking at are good but there are much better.The one I showed and the Dewalt are top of the line. The speed changing is good for planing exotics and the locking head just about eliminates snipe which is a big factor when plaining. It has to be taken into consideration when planing the lengths of boards to be used. I would suggest doing an internet search you will get a better price.

The planer is the more important tool of the 2 you listed. The jointer in your case is just an edge sweetener. It will put a glue edge on a board ready for glueing if the tool is set up right. I must warn you those bench tools are noisey and must be secured to the bench or it will walk off on you. If you do go that way again I suggest the Delta. They are all made in taiwain somewhere.
    John T.

Comment

I'll check and see if Lowe's carries the one you suggested. As far as the jointer goes, I get tired of hand planing edges except on something like spruce where it just peels off in nice, smooth, paper thin shavings. Those are a pleasure but it gets old. At the risk of sounding stupid I must ask, what exactly is snipe? I've never heard it before although I have probably seen it.
      Confuscious says, "The cautious seldom err".
      Confuscious didn't own a scrollsaw either.

Comment

Well now I will try to give you a short version but if you do a google search you will find out more info. Snipe is a depression in the end of a board and will happen either in the front of the board or the back as it runs through the planer. It is within the first couple inches and last couple inches. The main reason for this is because when the board first gets pushed into the planer it has a tendency to lift in the back and when exiting it has a tendency to lift in the front because of the contact with the rollers that pull the board through under the cutter head. Now do not get me wrong the unit you are looking at can work well in fact it is the one I have. Mainly because back then it was all they had. You need to be able to support the wood as you push through the planer which means a longer infeed and outfeed table. Plus as you start the board hold the back end down and as it exits hold the front end down just untill it gets under the knives or leaves the knives. You do not take off more than 1?16" of wood in a pass and what I like to do is when I get close I just barely take off a 1/32" to give it a finished pass. Of course I have a belt sander to do my final dimentioning and sweeten the board. So I do not worry much about snipe. With the machine I showed you it has 2 advantages. Like I said if planing exotics it is good to slow the speed down to prevent tearout. This is good also for highly figured woods. Second the locking of the head helps in the snipe area because the head does not rock when engaged or when the board leaves.

Now you can also get snipe on a jointer when jointing edges. But this is due to misalignment of the tool and this can be eliminated all together. Hope this helps a little.
        John T.

Comment

As with all power tools, you get what you pay for. While it may be tue that you will not need to make a living off of it, the tool needs to do what you want it to do. You can waste a lot of stock or ruin a project with a planner or jonter that has a mind of it's own.

When I got married 20 years ago, my mother gave me a cheap craftsman drill and a sabre saw. I hated using those tools. The drill would bog down with the slightest resistance. The saw just would not stay on a line or make a staight verticl cut. My mistake was not upgrading sooner. I threw the saw away in frsutration one day. When building a deck and the drill started smoking, I kept my finger on the trigger until the motor stopped working. I was smiling the whole time.

Don't buy a tool you will not be happy with and you will not be happy with a $200 jointer. Save until you can afford one that will work as advertised.

For a jointer, the longer the bed the better
          Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X