No announcement yet.

Wood Toxicity?

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wood Toxicity?

    I want to make a few spoons out of some of the more exotic woods - spoons for kitchen use, not decorative wall hangers. I know that some woods can be toxic if you breathe in the dust. Are there any woods I should avoid for these spoons due to possible toxicity risks?


    BTW, I'm going to the Viking Woodcarvers show tomorrow in St. Paul. Can't wait!!

  • #2
    Re: Wood Toxicity?

    wear a mask and consider them all toxic! then you are safe, you never really woodburning basswood really bothers me, and anymore cutting anything on a saw, the dust bothers advice for what its worth...wear a mask! I should have add, that I think we build up an intolerance to it after awhile.


    • #3
      Re: Wood Toxicity?

      Thanks for the reply. However, I was meaning toxic for use in cooking. I pretty much always wear a paper mask when I'm making dust in an enclosed area.


      • #4
        Re: Wood Toxicity?

        well if you wear a mask while eating you will be alright too! LOL


        • #5
          Re: Wood Toxicity?

          Excellent opportunity for the 'mother in law test'. Make several spoons, each of different wood you are worried about and give them your mother in law one at a time about 3 weeks apart. Take the previous one back each time because your just not happy with it and wanted to give her a better one. Don't eat her cooking for awhile, maybe your on a diet. If she's OK your OK, if not keeping trying until you identify safe woods and unsafe woods. If she gets real sick maybe just take that spoon back and give it a rest for awhile. Good Luck
          Ah Chip
          PS: A wooden spoon story. I garden big in the summer, make and can several hot pepper sauces each fall. A favorite is Habanero Applesauce, great marinate for pork chops. Made a batch one time. About 5 weeks later we have in-laws over for breakfast after church, big bunch 9 brothers and sisters, 34 grandkids, house full. The spoon that stired the Habanero sauce got use to stir oatmeal. Its the first time I ever ate oatmeal that made sweat drip off my ears.


          • #6
            Re: Wood Toxicity?

            I wondered the same thing so I did a google search and found lots of sites with lists. One that was fairly easy to understand was . There are probably more comprehensive sites out there but this answered my question. Anything that listed the wood as a source of reaction is out. I can't use Ah Chip's test, my mother-in-law is a very nice woman who lives 2000 miles away. Don


            • #7
              Re: Wood Toxicity?

              Thanks for the replies folks! Don, I will investigate that website.

              Ah Chip, you are a wise man. Solomon would not have done better.


              Unconfigured Ad Widget


              Latest Topics


              • will8989
                by will8989
                Are you ok Rolf?
                Today, 05:43 PM
              • Jim McDonald
                Reply to About ornament exchange
                by Jim McDonald
                Dave, I will participate. Thanks for doing this again.
                Today, 09:10 AM
              • Rolf
                Reply to Testing this blower motor
                by Rolf
                Without the complete schematic it is hard to know what is correct.
                That said, it is a multispeed blower that obviously has a controller board. That board varies the power to the motor. By doing what you did you bypassed that. You put power across the low and high windings. If any thing connecting...
                Today, 07:43 AM
              • evilbadger
                Reply to Testing this blower motor
                by evilbadger
                If he connected to red and black and the motor spun wouldn't that indicate the motor is grounded? Without connecting the white the circuit isn't complete and the motor should not spin.
                Today, 06:40 AM
              • cwmagee
                Reply to Testing this blower motor
                by cwmagee
                The reason for the smoke is incorrect wiring, posible melted insulation between motor windings and motor frame.

                You mentioned connecting power to the red & and black wire. Did you do anything with White wire? Per the lable on the motor the black wire is high the Red is low. White common...
                Yesterday, 08:41 PM