To lubricate a blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To lubricate a blade

Having to cut 1" tick very hard wood (bloodwood) I have been adviced to but 2" packaging tape on the piece of wood.

This is a good idea but as the tape lubricates the blade when it the blade cuts through the tape, it only lubricate 3/8" each sides leaving 1/4" not lubricated in the wood. Exactly where it generates the heat.

Instead I used the OLSON Saw Blade Lubricant. This is a hard wax stick shaped like a big 1" x 8" crayon. Just push the wax stick into the running blade so the teeth are throroughly coated. The wax will flow when saw blade becomes warm. The cut is clean, smouth, faster and much less burned.

I bought it for about 6$.
    Product name: Saw Blade Lubricant
    Olsen Part number : OL-7001
    Last edited by boogatoo; 12-03-2005, 08:53 PM.

Good tip boogatoo!
    I think I mentioned soap as a lubricant on here before but I am not sure how that would effect the finishing process.
    For $6 I think the wax would be a better choice
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Soap is not good as it attract humidity

Soap is not good as it attract humidity. This is also the reason why you would wax the screws instead of using soap when driving them into hard wood (it would make the screw rusted).

By the way, the OLSON'S wax I mention in the post does not become oily as it warms on the blade and does NOT leave residues to the wood. It is realy great.
      Last edited by boogatoo; 12-03-2005, 09:50 PM.

Comment

anyone know of a canadian distributor of this or an equivalent product? i don't think lee valley carries anything like this. i'm cutting some 3/4" oak and i'd like to give it a try.

Comment

Distributor for Olsen saw blade lubricant

Do you have a Home Depot anywhere close? I picked up the Olsen lubricant strip at my local HD last weekend.
          Jim

Comment

i found some at busy bee tools here.

Comment

Blade lubricant Canadian suppliers

You can order it form Tufftooth
              Their page is www.tufftooth.com and the specific page for this product is:
              http://www.tufftooth.com/blade-lubricant.html

Comment

Do you get the "Wildwood Designs" catalog? There is a stick of the Olson lube in there for $3.99 US. I use that for my scrollsaw and bandsaw and it lasts forever. I'm sure they have a website as well.
                Moon
                Old Mooner

Comment

3.99$ US mean about 6$ once purchased in Canada

3.99$ US mean about 6$CAN. once purchased in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by boogatoo
                    3.99$ US mean about 6$CAN. once purchased in Canada.

not to mention the shipping and handling charge.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim Finn
                      Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                      by Jim Finn
                      The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                      Today, 04:48 PM
                    • MidMich324
                      Reply to Plastic puzzle
                      by MidMich324
                      Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                      Today, 03:57 PM
                    • RJweb
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by RJweb
                      As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                      Today, 03:42 PM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Farmers market "survey"
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                      I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                      For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                      Today, 11:14 AM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Farmers market
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                      Today, 11:00 AM
                    Working...
                    X