Moving soon....need your advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving soon....need your advice...

I'm in the process of building a new 20x24 shop. Hope to be moved in by March..New house comes with the shop..but who cares about the house...LOL

If you were getting your dream shop, what would you like to have in it?

I purchased a delta air cleaner..hangs from the ceiling. (Delta 50-875 Remote Air Purifier)

Getting a new shop vac and a jet dust collector, any other toys I need?
    I mean toys for scrolling specifically.

I have routers and router table and table saw and jointer and drill press thickness planer, oscillating spindle sander, bandsaw, dremel, torches, air compressor, etc.

I already have my ol' yeller and stool and some base cabinets.
    Lamp beside the saw fan for coling and blowing dust into the air. LOL

Plenty of Mike's blades too!

What else should I consider since I'm starting from the ground up.

Any and all advice will be appreciated!!!
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Run air lines around that shop so you have access to that line from anywhere in the shop. We pretty much matched the dust collection lines with air lines. YOu can never have too much electric power, so make sure you have plenty of outlets.

We set up a sanding center for the oscillating spindle sander, drum sander, sand flee, and belt sander and our new disc sander. It also helps to keep dust collection working with the bulk of the sanding done in one location.

Now, specific to your scrolling - have some sort of air cleaner/filter close to where you will be scrolling, a good drill press, a drawer or area for spraying glue onto patterns, and or finishes on finished projects. And if your shop is heated, aim the flow of warm air towards where you will be at the scrollsaw. You tend to walk around more with other tools and can stay warm, but sitting at a scroll saw can get kind of chilly in the winter.

I am going back to being jealous of your new shop now! sniff, sniff

Comment

Let me say one word NICEEEEEEEEE. You lucky dog. If I were you and not sure what stage woodworker you are but sit down and plan. Try to keep things in work stations. As mentioned have plenty of dustcollection duct work run. Have plenty of power run. Have plenty of lighting installed. You seee it better on a plan. Have your work tables so you can get around them. But have fun.
      John T.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips so far.

I never thought of using an extra drawer for spraying the backs of my patterns.

Good Idea as well as the others. But I realy like that one... keeps all the glue in one area. beats an old cardboard box anyday. LOL

I'm still an intermediate scroller but have been doing woodworking for over 25 years ...

I'll also make sure i set up across from the heater/AC for my scrolling and I'll centralize all my sanding in one area of the shop.

keep the ideas coming I have a coupe of months to plan this so help me make it your dream shop..Money is of course an obstacle. LOL
        "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Electrical outlet

You migth want to have a 60 Amps breaker box that has 220V and 110V circuits. 1 line of 220V with replicated outlets and 2 lines of 110V(1 110V line runs on one wall, the other 110V line runs to the other wall).You might not have 220V tools yet but your needs might change in the future. Install the 2 voltages now to avoid future expenses. Has stated above in the thread, have your outlet next to the air line sockets.
          Last edited by boogatoo; 12-02-2005, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Seems to me that after you implement all the previous suggestions, you should invite about 20 or 30 of your best scrolling friends over to break in your new shop and test the scrollability.
            What sort of cookies should I bring?
            Sandy

Comment

Me thinks chocklit anything will work..LOL

and an open invitation is out there.

I would dearly love to meet some fellow scrollers.
              "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Electricity lines

I forgot one important point...

Have a different circuit for your tools than for the lighting. One thing that you dont want is to end-up in a black-out because your tool tripp the breaker. Not mentionning that when you will put the breaker back on, light comes back to life but yout tool too if you havrn't closed the switch. When we are in a black-out we dont necessarly think of turning the tool off but rather to turn the light on. That could be dangerous.

Comment

Two key pieces to any shop. A beverage fridge and a cot.
                  CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                  "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                  Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

More great Ideas...hmm is that why the missus bought me a cot for christmas...LOL.

I already have a project.

sign that syas.

Mike's Dog House...lol

Have cot and fridge..

I'll make sure the electrican knows about the different circuits...he starts next week....
                    "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim Finn
                      Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                      by Jim Finn
                      The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                      Today, 04:48 PM
                    • MidMich324
                      Reply to Plastic puzzle
                      by MidMich324
                      Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                      Today, 03:57 PM
                    • RJweb
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by RJweb
                      As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                      Today, 03:42 PM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Farmers market "survey"
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                      I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                      For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                      Today, 11:14 AM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Farmers market
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                      Today, 11:00 AM
                    Working...
                    X