What blade would you recommend to cut 1" Bloodwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What blade would you recommend to cut 1" Bloodwood

What blade would you recommend to cut 1" Bloodwood.

Right now I used the Gegas #3 Skip tooth and that wood is so hard that it took about 10 minutes to make 4 inches long cut. I changed my blade after each 4" lenght of cut.

No matter what speed I use, it makes some smoke. The stroke of the blade is a bout 3/4" long (this is an average on most saws) this mean that the dust that is more than 3/8" into the wood does not fully get ejected and burns. This wood is an exotic and oly wood, therefore it is prone to burn when cutting, the tickness I used does not help either.

Anyone has exerimented cutting this kind of wood? What blade have you Used? Mike, what blade would you use?

I would use a skiptooth blade like you are using but I would use a #7 or #9. You may even find a PGT would help.
    If the sawdust collects in the gullet it will burn. Since the #3 blade has gullets that are shallower than the #7 or #9 the dust can collect in there easier.

I am sure you will get other opinions, but I would definitely increase the blade size
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

1" bloodwood now that is putting the blades and the saw to some testing. #3 blade is way to thin for that thickness. You definitly want a skip tooth blade and I would even go with FD polar #7 blade. May I ask what you are making with 1" bloodwood?? That had to be a little costly. But let me tell you there is no better colored wood than bloodwood. It will keep that deep red color for life. Good Luck.
      John T.

Comment

Bloodwood is some very pretty, extremely dense stuff! I've had a long, slow cutting experiece with it on a stack of 3 1/4" pieces. My first recommendation would be to use a bandsaw on it. If the scrollsaw is your only option, I'd recommend a #9 for most of it and switch to a #7 if you have any detailed frets or tight turns. Sounds like you are doing it correctly - slow and changing blades often.

Good luck!
        ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

First I would use clear package tape or painters tape under or over the pattern. The blade suggestions are all good, maybe even a # 12 skip tooth.
          Make sure you have very good tension on the blade. You could slow the speed down a little but it is more imported not to push too hard into the blade or the blade starts to cut with a bow or bevel. Let the blade do the cutting. The blade JT is suggesting might be the best. It has no reverse teeth but the teeth are off-set just a little and that might help to eliminate some burning with help of the tape.
          A # 7 or 9 would be good. If it is very intricate maybe you could try a # 5. There is not a # 12 in the Polar blade.
          Mike M
          SD Mike

Comment

What am I doing with Bloodwood?

1st,
            I am doing the Holiday 2004 SSWS issue Birds and Berries Winter Wreath from Kathy Wise. I am doing it full chalenged 172 pieces.

2nd
            I want to tell that I got a plank of 1" x 6" x about 40-42" finished (not rough) for 7.90$ at my local wood supply (Montreal QC-Canada) and a bunch of 3/4" x 12" to 18" for 1$ to 2$ depending on the bundlles. This is why I grabbed these kind of woods. I have a mix of Bloodwood, Walnut, cedar, oak, greenish poplar, padook, and basswood. www.langevinforest.com.

My scroll say is a Craftman 16" Variable speed. The model that tilt both sides.
            I will check my blade stock but will probably end-up ordering from Mike.

Thanks to you all. Virtual frinds like you guys make a difference in a day, and of course in a project.
            Last edited by boogatoo; 11-29-2005, 07:06 PM. Reason: correcting spelling mistakes

Comment

Fantastic find on the wood no matter where your from. You did the right thing by buying. Hope you bought all you could. I love bloodwood as an accent piece. I know I will be using it alot in my turning projects. Good Luck with the cutting. Post a picture when done. I wish more people would post pictures here.
              John T.

Comment

Regarding the link on the wood.

Thanks for the tip on the blood wood. I am new at scrollsaw and I thought the smaller the wood the smaller the blade, but I guess that is not the case when it comes to hard wood. Unfortunately I have a project that I need to finish today so I am not able to get those blades, so I will just deal.

I would like to add that they link on wood that "boogatoo" gave links to the french side. Here is the English side http://www.langevinforest.com/en/home/home.asp .

Thank you for the great link.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X