footswitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• footswitch

Hi, I have an old sewing machine and tough of taking the footswitch for my scrollsaw. I will modify the 2 prongs cable to a 3 prongs for the ground. The scrollsaw motor is 1.4 Amps.

Anyone knows if the "footswitch" will bottleneck the power and leading the scrollsaw motor to force for nothing?
    Last edited by boogatoo; 11-22-2005, 07:08 AM.

don't get burned

I am not sure of the current draw from your sewing machine but I would think it would be lower than that of the scroll saw.
    The current draw going through the foot pedal could be excessive and cause a fire hazard.
    The footswitch on a sewing machine is basically a large coil of wire with a wiper that slides across the coil.
    The coil produces a resistance to the current and dissapates the energy as heat.

I would check with someone in the know before I did it.

I have thought of using one of the footswitches that you can buy for Christmas lights, They are cheap and can handle the current. You would have to add a third wire for the ground, but that would not be hard.
    No variable speed, but on and off is handy too.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Do not do it. A sewing machine switch has a variable switch and you can not use it.
      John T.

Comment

Thanks to all of you

Your comments probably saved my saw in the long term. The switch is unsutable for the scrollsaw but I have another idea...

I have been given this '60s-'70s sewing machine table. This is the kind with 3 drawers and the flip top that extend a table extention. The sewing machine is attached to a hinged top that hide the machine within when not in use. This is a very strong piece of furniture that will do a very good router table.

Thanks for all of your hints...

Comment

Just one note about your table idea. If you plan on storing the saw the way a sewing machine was stored you need to devise a system to lift it up other than pulling on the arm. You never carry a scrollsaw by its top arm. Can do damage. Happy scrolling.
          John T.

Comment

John T. I think he meant for a router table

Comment

Thanks, I missed that. Didn't realized we switched gears. I should read more carefully. Router table , interesting idea.
              John T.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim McDonald
                Reply to Bible stand
                by Jim McDonald
                A quick Google search for fretwork book stands showed pattern on Pinterest. Might be worth a look.
                Today, 12:39 PM
              • Quartz43
                Reply to Spring Issue
                by Quartz43
                I agree that with fret work the grey areas may be useful but not needed for Intarsia and some others. It would not be difficult to use grey for some patterns and just lines on others.

Another thing to note is that not many have the ability, software or equipment to stitch patterns back...
                Today, 11:02 AM
              • Rolf
                Reply to YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router
                by Rolf
                This is only my opinion.

Hi Linda, My first reaction is it looks good, and my new toy craving started to twitch, but I thing it will be very limiting very quickly.

It is a small engraving machine and if that is what you want and need maybe OK. You are limited to 1/8 shank...
                Today, 10:25 AM
              • millwab
                Reply to Peanuts #1
                by millwab
                I still have some puzzle blades from Ben Fink. Once I run out of them I’ll have to ask Denny what he recommends for a substitute....
                Today, 09:56 AM
              • Rolf
                Reply to Spring Issue
                by Rolf
                [QUOTE=Quartz43;n873079]No doubt, the large patterns are a real challenge. Not many have a large size printer. Going out and finding a place to do large scans and prints is problematic with the virus and many of us are older.

I wish they would not print the patterns with the grey. Pure...
                Today, 09:47 AM
              Working...
              X