footswitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• footswitch

Hi, I have an old sewing machine and tough of taking the footswitch for my scrollsaw. I will modify the 2 prongs cable to a 3 prongs for the ground. The scrollsaw motor is 1.4 Amps.

Anyone knows if the "footswitch" will bottleneck the power and leading the scrollsaw motor to force for nothing?
    Last edited by boogatoo; 11-22-2005, 06:08 AM.

don't get burned

I am not sure of the current draw from your sewing machine but I would think it would be lower than that of the scroll saw.
    The current draw going through the foot pedal could be excessive and cause a fire hazard.
    The footswitch on a sewing machine is basically a large coil of wire with a wiper that slides across the coil.
    The coil produces a resistance to the current and dissapates the energy as heat.

I would check with someone in the know before I did it.

I have thought of using one of the footswitches that you can buy for Christmas lights, They are cheap and can handle the current. You would have to add a third wire for the ground, but that would not be hard.
    No variable speed, but on and off is handy too.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Do not do it. A sewing machine switch has a variable switch and you can not use it.
      John T.

Comment

Thanks to all of you

Your comments probably saved my saw in the long term. The switch is unsutable for the scrollsaw but I have another idea...

I have been given this '60s-'70s sewing machine table. This is the kind with 3 drawers and the flip top that extend a table extention. The sewing machine is attached to a hinged top that hide the machine within when not in use. This is a very strong piece of furniture that will do a very good router table.

Thanks for all of your hints...

Comment

Just one note about your table idea. If you plan on storing the saw the way a sewing machine was stored you need to devise a system to lift it up other than pulling on the arm. You never carry a scrollsaw by its top arm. Can do damage. Happy scrolling.
          John T.

Comment

John T. I think he meant for a router table

Comment

Thanks, I missed that. Didn't realized we switched gears. I should read more carefully. Router table , interesting idea.
              John T.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                Reply to New tools
                by jim_mex
                Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                Yesterday, 11:14 PM
              • Hobbyhorse
                Reply to New tools
                by Hobbyhorse
                Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                Yesterday, 11:03 PM
              • Hobbyhorse
                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                by Hobbyhorse
                Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
              • KarlB
                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                by KarlB
                Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                Yesterday, 09:41 PM
              • KarlB
                Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                by KarlB
                Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                Yesterday, 09:31 PM
              Working...
              X