Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta QuickSett blade chucks

Scrollers,
    I've been using a Delta 350 for a few months now, and I'm having a little trouble with one thing. When I try to use a sanding belt in the QuickSett blade chucks it seems that I can't find the tension that works. Either it is too tight to close, or it closes but then pops open when in use. No happy medium. Is it something I'm doing, or is this what you have to put up with using sanding belts with the QuickSett clamps? I'm thinking maybe the plastic tab is too thick for the clamps to work properly. Anyone else have experience with this?

Bruce
    Bruce
    . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
    visit sometime
    Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

millwab, I have used the sanding belts with my Delta Quickset clamps and have had no problem. You just have to find the right amount to open the clamps before you clamp them closed. I found a cheaper way to make my own sanders. I cut a 5" strip of emery cloth 1/2" wide, fold it in half lengthwise and you have a 1/4" sanding strip, it is not as thick as the ones you buy with the plastic on the ends. I very seldom sand anymore, if you use the right blades you don't need to sand. Mick.
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Bruce, I had the same problem with the quicksets as you do. I never solved it, since I got a different saw before I got there. I think the plastic may be too slick, and also perhaps the quickset lever system can't deliver the same grip that a simple screw clamp can.

Comment

The tabs on the sanding strips are thicker than a blade .
        Sand them down the thickness of a blade and the clamps will work fine.
        Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Walker
          I very seldom sand anymore, if you use the right blades you don't need to sand. Mick.
          Mick, maybe when I get to the point that my scrolling skills don't need 'touching up' I can forget about sanding. My scrolling to date has been a few clock projects for wedding gifts (hardwoods) and I wanted the edges to be as clean as possible (I tend to try to be a perfectionist with this — maybe some sort of self-flagellation). I understand the concept of proper tension to close the clamps. Problem was getting it to clamp shut and stay shut. Like I said, there didn't seem to be any middle ground. Either the clamp wouldn't close, would clamp tight but pop open while in use, or wouldn't clamp tight enough to begin with. I like your idea of the emery cloth. If different blades don't do it I'll try the emery cloth. Thanx.

Bruce
          Bruce
          . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
          visit sometime
          Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
            Reply to Shrink wrap systems
            by Linda In Phoenix
            I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
            Yesterday, 10:01 PM
          • will8989
            Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
            by will8989
            Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
            Yesterday, 09:53 PM
          • will8989
            Reply to Shrink wrap systems
            by will8989
            Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
            Yesterday, 09:49 PM
          • will8989
            Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
            by will8989
            He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
            Yesterday, 09:32 PM
          • will8989
            Reply to Sundays market
            by will8989
            We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
            Yesterday, 08:56 PM
          Working...
          X