Dust Masks very important!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Masks very important!

I used to wear masks similar to surgigal ones and even if they where rated NIOSH N95 I was not satisfied with them.
    Despite they had a metal brace to tight them over the nose, my breath was fogging my glasses. In addition, I was re-breathing my own exausted breath. I upgraded to the same type of mask but with a respiratory valve. It lessen the re-breathing but did not stop it completely. My glasses where still fogging.

Fogging my glasses mean bad seal aroung the face so if breath exit through the sides, dust comes in from the sides- As simple as that. Dust particles as small a 1 micron are bad for the lung and lead to permamnent dust-related health issues (1 micron is about millionth of a yard). Those small masks are not good because you are still breathing airbonrne invisible dust. A hair size is 100 micons, visible dust under a sun ray next to a window is 10 micon. NIOSH N95 standard is 1/3 of a micron. This is very effective filtering but only if you have a mask that provides a good seal on the skin.

THE FOLLOWING FIXED MY PROBLEMS
    I bought a AOsafety mask and all the above problems are gone (fogging glasses, bad filtering and re-breathing my own exausted breath). This mask is available in different brand names so I included a link fo you guy to see it.
    I paid 20$ CAN. At Canadiadian Tire. Lee Valley sell it 35$ CAN. under a different name. The air intake is about 3 inches dia. and the 2 exhausts vales on the side are about 1 inch each. The air comes in from the filter (a intake vale in hidden behind the filter) and is exhausted on the side by the vales. The filter is replaceable and cost about 5$ for a set of 4.

http://www.aosafety.com/aosafety.com..._platform_id=1
    Last edited by boogatoo; 10-30-2005, 12:04 PM.

Thanks for the info. $20 isnt much when it comes to health.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I have tried this particular mask and several others. They filter great, but the neoprene rubber makes my face break out.

I wrote the company I bought the mask from (can't remember the name but a Google search will find distributors) and they sent me an "Advantage 2000LS mask. It has all the 'proper' NIOSH certifications and all the advantages you spoke of.

Comment

Originally posted by boogatoo
        I used to wear masks similar to surgigal ones and even if they where rated NIOSH N95 I was not satisfied with them.
        Despite they had a metal brace to tight them over the nose, my breath was fogging my glasses. In addition, I was re-breathing my own exausted breath. I upgraded to the same type of mask but with a respiratory valve. It lessen the re-breathing but did not stop it completely. My glasses where still fogging.

Fogging my glasses mean bad seal aroung the face so if breath exit through the sides, dust comes in from the sides- As simple as that. Dust particles as small a 1 micron are bad for the lung and lead to permamnent dust-related health issues (1 micron is about millionth of a yard). Those small masks are not good because you are still breathing airbonrne invisible dust. A hair size is 100 micons, visible dust under a sun ray next to a window is 10 micon. NIOSH N95 standard is 1/3 of a micron. This is very effective filtering but only if you have a mask that provides a good seal on the skin.

THE FOLLOWING FIXED MY PROBLEMS
        I bought a AOsafety mask and all the above problems are gone (fogging glasses, bad filtering and re-breathing my own exausted breath). This mask is available in different brand names so I included a link fo you guy to see it.
        I paid 20$ CAN. At Canadiadian Tire. Lee Valley sell it 35$ CAN. under a different name. The air intake is about 3 inches dia. and the 2 exhausts vales on the side are about 1 inch each. The air comes in from the filter (a intake vale in hidden behind the filter) and is exhausted on the side by the vales. The filter is replaceable and cost about 5$ for a set of 4.

http://www.aosafety.com/aosafety.com..._platform_id=1
        I am a new scroller and have been using a mask like the ones you described earlier that don't seal. I have found it impossible where I live to buy anything that seems satisfactory. I will look into these safety masks you mentioned they sound like the solution.
        Thanks for the link.
        Anne

Comment

See also - Dust Bee Gone masks

Hi,

Several years ago I was having trouble with my glasses fogging up and I picked up a face mask from a company called Dust-Bee-Gone (www.dustbeegone.com). They have a really nice mask that deals with that issue. Its not cheap - they sell for about $35 (US), I think, but it was worth it, in my opinion. They are washable, so I still have the same one I started with. They sell direct and I've seen them in catalogs as well.

Peace,

- Tom

Comment

Dustbeegone have a limited filtering capacity

I went on the site's FAQ and they say there that their masks only filter particles larger than 3 micron and are not NIOSH or OSHA approved. (NIOSH approved masks filters particles as small as 1/3 of a micron). This is why they are called Nuisance Masks rather than Dust Masks. This is not the same category. Why would someone buy an expensive mask that only provides limited filtering when others NIOSH approved offers very effective filtering for cheaper? When you are buying a mask, you don't just buy a mask you are taking action on your health so pick a good one. A healty woodworker without wooodworker's astma, bronchistis or emhysema will enjoy woodworking for a longtime to come. Dust is a serious issue in the shop!

Regards...

Originally posted by tpeacock01
            Hi,

Several years ago I was having trouble with my glasses fogging up and I picked up a face mask from a company called Dust-Bee-Gone (www.dustbeegone.com). They have a really nice mask that deals with that issue. Its not cheap - they sell for about $35 (US), I think, but it was worth it, in my opinion. They are washable, so I still have the same one I started with. They sell direct and I've seen them in catalogs as well.

Peace,

- Tom
            Last edited by boogatoo; 11-02-2005, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
              Reply to Farmers market "survey"
              by will8989
              The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
              Yesterday, 11:10 PM
            • will8989
              Reply to Farmers market
              by will8989
              Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
              Yesterday, 10:31 PM
            • tgiro01
              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
              by tgiro01
              Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
              Yesterday, 09:38 PM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
              by Linda In Phoenix
              It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
              Yesterday, 06:47 PM
            • Linda In Phoenix
              Reply to Plastic puzzle
              by Linda In Phoenix
              Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
              Yesterday, 06:38 PM
            Working...
            X