Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warped wood

hi
    i have a piece of cherry wood that has a slight warp in it.can i straighten it out ? This is 3/4 inch cherry wood about 10 inch diameter. I am doing a relief carving.
    Any help greatfully accepted.
    Thank you.

Re: warped wood

Art,
    Carve the concave side and with a little luck the warp you get from upsetting the balance in the board will straighten it. The couple reliefs I have done cupped so the back of the piece would be the concave side so if you start on that side maybe yours will end up flat. Just a idea.
    Ah Chip

Comment

Art-
      Carving the 'bad' side might be a good answer. I know a chip carver that always chip carves on the backside to prevent warping later. He claims it relieves the tension - I guess wood has stress too!
      Good luck-
      Barry Bowers

Comment

Thanks guys
        art

Comment

I have a similar warp in my head. My doctor was just saying the same thing the other day....'Can I straighten it out?'

Doubt it.

T
          "Santas for the Soul" &&Original Carvings by Teri Embrey&&http://www.teriembrey.com&&[email protected]

Comment

My wife claims i have a warped sense of humor ( i disagree)
            and every once in a while she slaps me on my bad side.
            you might try it....she says it works!!

papa

Comment

Hi arthur
              Depending on how far along you are in the carving you could try pouring hot water into cup and letting it soak,then flip it over and weight it down to try and flaten the piece.you may still have to cut kerfs in the back,or carve it to keep it flat.
              jamesfa

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X