Broom Handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broom Handle

My Youngest daughter came over today and said she wanted a country style broom (with stiff straw for the bristles)with a carved handle. I have a 2inch by 4ft live oak branch I've been saving for a walking stick. It's already debarked and sanded smooth.
    I'm open to any suggestions as to what would look good carved into the handle. Thinking of a female face.
    She just said carve something.
    thanks macktruck
    Honey, Where are the band-aids, again?

Re: Broom Handle

Well the only things I can think of are withces. After all witches supposedly ride brooms.

How about Hansel and Grettle and the wicked witch.

Then when the broom wears out, cut the broom off and have a very nice walkin or hiking stick. Rubber tips for canes are available at most drug stores and available in drug department at Wal mart

Comment

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. She's not going to use it just hang it on the wall for decoration.
      I'm going to do a female face.
      thanks macktruck

Comment

Macktruck,
        My first reaction to your quandry was a witch, but perhaps a good witch. In the old country superstition, having a broom next to every outside door was supposed to bring good spirits into the house and sweep the bad spirits away. So, if there is a female wood spirit or good witch, that would work.

My next thought was some kind of vining flower like morning glories winding their way up and around the handle
        Donna T

Comment

I had not heard that folk lore about sweeping out spirits.
          Carving live oak(some of you might know it as pin oak it has green leaves all year long) is a challenge. Cutting across the grain will improve your french vocabulary. It likes to chip out. It does not hold detail very well.It does make excellent cane/walking sticks though. I've already started on the female face. thanks maybe if I can find some maple I'll try the winding vines.
          thanks macktruck

Comment

I'd put her initials in large (2' ???) letters.

Comment

Mack
              you are going to post a pic of it when you finish it I hope

Comment

I can't post a picture. I don't have a digital camera. and taking regular pics and scanning just doesn't seem to work for me.( I'm one of the computer illiterates).
                Oh well
                mack
                Honey, Where are the band-aids, again?

Comment

We have 1 of the in expensive kodak cameras ($100) a year ago.
                  I just learned how to use it.
                  We have a scanner that we have had for 3 years. Lil Woman uses it. All I did was install the software. I am in the same boat as you computer illeratiate.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
                    Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
                    by Quartz43
                    I would not use regular plywood but Baltic Birch is different. On Steve Garrisons Facebook page someone posted a shell with either Baltic Birch or something like Spectraply. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of tearing or splintering with either cutting or sanding.

Using solid...
                    Today, 09:09 AM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to countdown for Bruce.
                    by will8989
                    Bruce took the “zipper”ff today. Yep, the stitches were zipper type. When we were packing up at the market Sunday, the coffee vendor asked if we wanted a taste of his chocolate whiskey coffee. We said no thanks. After driving to Annapolis in the truck today to get Elliott, Bruce said he was going...
                    Yesterday, 10:12 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
                    by will8989
                    I usually don’t use plywood, but I think it works beautifully with these patterns. On my to do list in January.
                    Yesterday, 10:02 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Back in the saddle again
                    by will8989
                    I enlarge and shrink patterns all time. I use rapid resizer. I did locate some scrap wood that would be perfect for the smaller size. I also mad some of the nativity Steve had a week ago. I’m taking stuff to the market for feedback. Of the 11 ornaments I took last week I came home with 3. Guess you...
                    Yesterday, 09:59 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Starting again
                    by will8989
                    And to do something different. I’m trying to schedule part or a whole day to bowl grinding. Of course, we had a 7 year old visitor most of the day as he had a half day today. So much for using the grinder. instead I put a bandaid on a scratch on his elbow so he “wouldn’t bleed to death”. Than...
                    Yesterday, 09:55 PM
                  Working...
                  X