sawing blanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sawing blanks

i was reading some intructions in a new carving book that said to bandsaw the side profile first.in the past i have not given any thought to which side should been done first.iusually have just cut away.
    is there a right way to cut a blank,profile first then front?

Re: sawing blanks

Hi Jamesfa,
    I've been carving for um....about 13-14 years and cutting some of my own smaller blanks for 10 of that--my bandsaw isn't very big so I have a couple of carving friends who will cut out stuff for me that is bigger than what I can do. I have never heard a specific of which profile to cut first. I do save the cut off part and either tape it back on or hot glued it on so that I have a flat side to run through the bandsaw for ease and safety in cutting out the other two dimensions. I usually have to think through which way I want the grain to run in the carving--that's the hardest part for me!
    Donna T

Comment

Jamesfa, I just start cutting too. Some times a little bit too close to the pattern :'(. I cut out one or the other, front or side, then draw in the opposite of what I've cut and try to get rid of a little bit more waste wood. I agree with Donna T, when I'm doing some things the hardest part is deciding on the way to run the grain. Callynne
      http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Don't know if there's a right or wrong way, but here's what I do ...

I cut whichever side will yield the largest (fewer) pieces to tape (double stick golf grip tape is what I use) back on, then do the other side.

Most times though, I just forgo the bandsaw and go to wacking away with gouges and knife. Just enjoy the process of removing wood. Something about a sharp tool slicing through basswood that's almost as soothing as sitting on a rock chewing tobacco, sucking on a long neck, and petting the dog while waiting for the fish not to bite.

Comment

My two cents; I start cutting the hardest and most compicated side first but do not cut all the way through, leave about 1/8' of wood. Turn the piece to the easy side and cut ALL the way through. Then go back & cut the two pieces off or most of the time they will snap off. Take one of the cutoffs and run it through the bandsaw to about 3/16' thick. You now have a pattern for future use. Take another piece of a cutoff and use it for a paint sample. Sometimes I take a cutoff and do an intarsia piece to give away at shows. Kids love these cutoffs. Big Al

Comment

James, it seems to me that the profile is more important and it is difficult to get the actual measures on. So, I always cut it first. If I can cut the front as well, then I do so, but sometimes it is hard for me to 'save' enough wood to do that. I try to make my profile as close and detailed as possible.

I do always check, before I start, to make sure the wood is the right thickness from the front. So, at least I can begin from there.

Can the two ladies, who mentioned it, say more about 'cutting with the grain?' To what are you referring? How do you determine it? Thanks

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X