Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Fresh Block of Basswood

Re: A Fresh Block of Basswood

Unpainted Carvings???? Unpainted carvings..... Are they supposed to be painted????

How's that for an answer. Interesting post Rick.

Comment

Yeah, but what if that beautiful block of basswood turns into an unfinished carving? LOL

The guilt is eating away at me Rick, hear them calling me
      Safety first

Comment

Hmmm, maybe this is one of the good things about starting to carve this late in life. I have finished every piece I've started! The housework on the other hand..... Callynne
        http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Rick you had to bring that up didnt you. > I think I hear them calling me from the workshop but I'm afraid their crys are falling on deaf ears. Your right if you dont finish a carving the passion is gone and if you leave it for any period of time then you are at a different stage of your carving and you dont want to regress. ???
          I think the solution to this problem is a huge fire but every time I pick up the unfinished carving I think: No maybe I will finish it later. :-/ I have a lot of those maybe I will finish it later's hanging around. I am sure they wake me up some nights calling out to be finished. : As you have probably read I am finishing a carving for a friend whose uncle died suddenly and he wanted me to complete the carving. I am having the same problem and I think it is because it was his passion that was in the carving not mine. Also maybe its because its an owl and I am not a bird carver.
          Colin

Comment

At times, I've noticed that the ones I 'piddle' with are ones to which I am not really sure what to do and it seems to do them some good to sit every once in a while. On the other hand, if I am doing one for which I know the next cuts to make, it is hard putting it down...

Comment

I have found that I have two reasons for not finishing a carving. Either the wood is too much of a challenge (punky or too flaky to hold detail - fortunately I currently have only one in that category and I might try something to harden it) or I get to the point where the carving is too much of a challenge to my skills at that time. For these, I just let them sit until my skills catch up (or I get a new tool profile.) I'm just now getting back to a miniature carousel horse that has been sitting for two years.

I find that generally I get so engrossed in a carving that I want to finish it as soon as possible. For the ones that I'm having trouble with, this urgency is lost and it is sometimes very difficult to get it back.

Comment

Maybe its just me but the more I experiment with other kinds of wood, the less I like Basswood. I'm sure the reason (in part) is that around here a good block of Basswood is an anomaly. :'(

I am pleased to say that I have only two carvings right now that are gathering dust.
                Semper ubi sub ubi

Comment

I personally like to finish 1 before I start on anther. that way I can actually measure my progress and skill as I go along.

Once I complete it, i am done with it. As my skill progresses I do not go back and touch up the older ones. they are done and complete. They might not be my better work but I completed them and they are unique. If I am not satisified at a later time, I will do a totally new carving rather than going back to an older 1 and trying to fix it, as I thought it was just fine when I decided it was finished. Figure it is like going back and trying to add a smile to the Monna Lisa

Comment

If you really want to appreciate a good block of basswood, try some other woods for awhile. I've been carving mahogany, cherry, butternut, Alaskan yellow cedar and pine and forgot how nice and easy basswood is to carve. I like to carve those other woods, and they each have a place, but for animals and other items that are going to burnt or painted, basswood is the right stuff!.

Comment

would be nice to have those different woods! Here in the desert..not so easy to come by! : 8)

Comment

I agree with Big Al, I like to finish one carving before going on to the next project. It seems like everthing that I do, I jump from one project to the next without completing something.

So for me,

completion IS progress.

Comment

Itasca carries a good selection of Basswood at fairly decent prices

Comment

I reckon that someone in the mental health department may view an unfinished carving as a sign of low self esteem or possibly a sign of complacency.
                            Well that may be true with me but I like to think of it as a test of skill. I have ( on more than one occassion ) left a peice unfinished to collect dust mainly because I tried to carve something that I just wasn't skilled enough for. That was the test that told me where I needed to focus my attention . As I look back over some of my half-carved items, I realized that I have done nothing more than improve in my skill. Sometimes, I amaze myself by carving something that I have never tried to carve before and it came out pretty darn good. I think it is a good thing to try and carve something just a little bit out of our league if only to test our abillity.
                            Whittlebit.
                            1..2..3..4..5..6..7..8..9..10....YEP , all my fingers are still there !!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                              Reply to Planer and jointer opinions wanted
                              by will8989
                              Our feed belt keeps moving but Bruce did adjust it the other day when I was done and this is the first time I’ve used it. It kept getting louder so I bet that’s it or it just isn’t tight. Will check it in the morning. Thanks.
                              Yesterday, 11:26 PM
                            • Rolf
                              by Rolf
                              Betty is the feed belt centered? Do you hear it when the drum is spinning or when just the feed belt is on?
                              I have had the sanding belt stretch, they do that over time, and there was enough hanging out to just kiss the table.
                              Yesterday, 03:30 PM
                            • Bill Wilson
                              Reply to Winter issue
                              by Bill Wilson
                              I got mine the other day. Also noticed a dearth of Christmas themed projects. I don't recall seeing much Christmas stuff in the Fall issue either. I look forward to new ornament ideas, but those were lacking this year.

I do understand some of the constraints in publishing a magazine these...
                              Yesterday, 02:49 PM
                            • Bill Wilson
                              by Bill Wilson
                              Well, this topic can present a lot of opinions and options. First, if you are seriously considering helical cutting heads, would you take the next step and upgrade to a stationary, floor model planer? Perhaps even a used one. I don't know how much space you have and what your shop power options are,...
                              Yesterday, 02:13 PM
                            • will8989
                              by will8989
                              Our super max has been making a noise that sounds like paper caught but we can’t pinpoint anything. Cleaned what we could, Bruce used dry lubricant, which sounds like an oxymoron to me, and still makes the noise. Started quietly now is louder. Any suggestions before we call for warranty work? I’m...
                              Yesterday, 01:57 PM
                            Working...
                            X