X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Mooner
    Member - Level 2
    • Feb 2005

New Excaliber Saw

I read the review (actually, that is the 2nd one I have read) on the new Excaliber with the tilting arm. So far I have seen absolutely nothing about blade tensioning on this saw. That, to me, is a very important part of a saw. Anyone know anything about it?
    Moon
    Old Mooner
  • 3_M
    Registered User - Level 2
    • Jan 2004

Hi Moon,

You could call Ray and ask him about it. If you find out, please let us all know.

Mike M
    SD Mike

Comment

• lucky788scroller
      • Sep 2005

The tension lever is located pretty much where it is on a dewalt, if you look in the pictures of it,you wil see the tensioning lever.
      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

• dtoggs
        • May 2005

Hello

I too would like to know more about the excaliber scroll saw. What is the Dewalt connection,as it seems to have the same type of drive mechanism. Did Dewalt buy the patent or did it just run out? I really like my Hegner,but I always wanted to use an excaliber and see if I liked it better,the only con I ever heard was when the blade breaks, it can damage you or your work pc. Paul.

Comment

• PiALaModem
          Banned
          • Feb 2005

Excaliber I believe built the dewalt saw for them for a time, then licensed the design to dewalt, which has moved the production overseas. Excaliber all along made a higher-end saw based on the same principle.
          Last edited by PiALaModem; 10-02-2005, 10:20 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• CanadianScroller
            ********* CUT IT OUT
            • Feb 2005

Curiously Canadian

Gotta love that Canadian Product
            Now if I could only convince them to sell it at par for Canadian Dollars!!!!
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

• BobD (Archive)
              -
              • Aug 2004

THe tension is identical to the DeWalt--it's one of the easiest tension systems to adjust that I've seen....I really like this saw myself. It's just a lever that moves right to left, and you pull it right until you have the tension you want...no screws or anything.

The reason we focused on the angle changing mechanism is that was what was new about the saw--the tension system has been around for a while.

Bob

Comment

• Mike in Nanaimo
                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by BobD
                THe tension is identical to the DeWalt--it's one of the easiest tension systems to adjust that I've seen....I really like this saw myself. It's just a lever that moves right to left, and you pull it right until you have the tension you want...no screws or anything.

The reason we focused on the angle changing mechanism is that was what was new about the saw--the tension system has been around for a while.

Bob
                I like the new one. The tension is the same as Dewalt but is opposite to Dewalt. It releases the tension when you turn it to the right and Dewalt tightens to the right. I also like the rack & pinion adjustment on the tilt. It is being sold at the Vancouver Woodshow this weekend at Summit tools for $799 Cdn.
                Cheers
                Mike

Comment

• little girl
                  • Aug 2007

Moon

I own a EX21. What a dream.The only thing they don't tell you in the book is you have to release the hold down foot, in order to get the blade to hold in the slot. Otherwise you are unable to get the blade to hold. Other wise there is no vibration. Great saw

Comment

• Tsavo
                    Jesse
                    • Dec 2006

Canadian Scroller: Me personally, I wouldn't necessarily consider the EX-21 a Canadian product since Sommerville Design (who originally built the EX-21 as well as the Dewalt) sold the saw and production off to General International (GI). Though GI is based in Canada, the saw is actually now built in Taiwan and imported to Canada and the US.

I spoke with Ray at Seyco earlier this year, and per him, the new GI puke green saw is as good or better than the old Barney purple one....I've owned the purple one now for about 1.5 yrs (^:E
                    V/r
                    Jesse "Tsavo" Davis
                    Excalibur EX-21 (purchased Apr 06)

Scroll Sawn Art
                    "Using the bright side of your brain."

Comment

• CanadianScroller
                      ********* CUT IT OUT
                      • Feb 2005

I used an EX21 this weekend and it was a dream.
                      The features are certainly scroller friendly and it runs soooooo smooth.

I think I will have to start saving my pennies.
                      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

• popsshop
                        Scroller
                        • Aug 2006

I am seriously considering buying a new EX21 to replace my 788 (just about worn out).

The jist of this thread seems to be that the EX21 and the 788 a just about the same. Am I wrong????

Same motor, same tensioning, same blade mechanism, duhhhhhhh

Does it also have the same problem of front-to-back alignment of the blade (not square to the table).

Why should I spend at least $800 instead of $400?????? Call me confused on this one, guys

(Saving my money while I read posts)

fred
                        Fred
                        aka Pop's Shop
                        Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!.

Comment

• lucky788scroller
                          • Sep 2005

The main difference in the EX21 and the yella 788, other then the cost, is the tilting set-up. Both are great saws with little vibration.About the front to back problem, yes, it does, but I dont see it as a problem for any of the scrolling ive done.Dale
                          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

• Pajaro
                            I'm not really a cowboy.
                            • Jul 2007

Excalber Rules

I just got my Excalibur a couple of weeks ago. I just can't get over the ease and power of this saw. I don't know why I waited so long to buy one,(Oh yea money) but well worth the wait. The blade tension lever is great. But no marker on it to let you know where you had the tension set. I use a bit of tape to mark the spot.

Call Ray at Seyco and he will tell you anything you want to know about the saw. I was lucky enough to live close enough to go get the saw myself. And met Ray and his Wife. It was great to do face to face business with someone; in this world of Internet and e mails.
                            Last edited by Pajaro; 09-06-2007, 12:49 PM.

www.pajarostudiowns.com
                            Excalibur EX-21 fanatic
                            One of the Chosen few

"The Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated......I am retired!!!!!!!".

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...