X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plain_ol_ed
    Guest replied
    Re: Carving Black Walnut

Jim - You are going to find out what dying and going to heaven (Willy Nelson's house for Texans) is all about. Black Walnut is awesome stuff. Absolutely beautiful with an oil finish.

Leave a comment:

• macktruck
    replied

Hi Jim,
    Alot of lumber mills steam before they dry it so that the sap wood turns brown also. Don't worry about doing it just trim the sap wood off. It carves good too but doesn't have the colors of the heartwood. Like colin said keep your tools sharp it is quite abrasive. But is worth it.
    Good luck macktruck

Leave a comment:

• Gergie
    replied

Hi, Black Walnut is the hardest wood I ever carved and the and my favorite wood to carve. Like Colin said keep the tools sharp. And if you do any sanding be sure to wear a mask. Walnut dust can be nasty. If I were you I'd take your nieghbors offer and get the Walnut and try it out. If you don't use it all there's always someone who is looking for this type of wood. Good Luck on your new Carving adventure!! Gergie,

Leave a comment:

• jim_pope
    replied

Colin,

I think this is considered a hard wood, correct?

I have mostly worked with bass wood, pine and poplar. Currently I have my tools sharpened to about a 15* angle, would I need to rework some bevels to more like 25*?

God bless you in a speedy recovery.

Thanks,

Leave a comment:

• colin_partridge
    Guest replied

Jim,
    From my view black walnut is a beautiful wood to carve in the round and in relief. I personally prefer to carve it green although I have carved it dry. It take incredible detail and has a beautiful grain to the wood. If you are carving it dry make sure that your tools are very sharp and strop them time to time while carving. Keeping a sharp edge on your tools will make for much better carving. The pros and cons are there are not cons to carving black walnut.
    Colin

Leave a comment:

• jim_pope
    started a topic Carving Black Walnut

Carving Black Walnut

A friend of mine is cutting down a black walnut tree and he offered the wood to me.

Has anyone carved black walnut?

What are the pros and cons with this wood?

I plan to carve some in the round pieces from the logs and possibly a long relief carving in one of the bigger pieces.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X