X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenny_S
    replied
    Re: Mesquite

A little bird town called Caney on Highway 75, just above the ks/ok border.
    Yes I knew you were around Tulsa as I have seen you name in a lot of the Woodcraft fliers and Have e-mailed with Greg.
    I enjoy the Woodcrat stor on 41st street. Well I guess it is on 41st street as I go down Yale to get there.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry_L._Watts
    replied

Kenny,
    I thought my website was displayed but it looks like I got dropped off the board and had to reenter. It's www.woodcarvedstuff.com. I see you're in SE Kansas. Where abouts? I'm in NE Oklahoma.

Leave a comment:

• muffy
    replied

You might want to try,www.askjeeves.com Type in (find mesquite wood in Texas) If you can't find it on there, they don't grow it..........Dan.......

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

If you can find a large enough piece and are up to the task it makes absolutely beautiful gun stocks.

Leave a comment:

• Kenny_S
    replied

Jerry, what is your website addy?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Wayne,
    I carve Mesquite. I really does make dynamite walking sticks. I harvest my sticks in west Texas in the winter(sap is down and snakes are asleep). I have a few on my website. I think it looks best when finished with natural Danish Oil. To that end, I don't think it would lend itself to santas. I reccomend power carving as it is a little tough and onery.
    jerry

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Try Bill at [email protected] he sells sticks...finished or unfinished..

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

:The website : Lumberlady.com sells and stocks all sizes of mesquite. She is based in Yuma. Another source is Woodfinder.net. Good luck. Try a small piece for just about anything that will look good with a lot of grain. I have had good luck with it, and it finishes up real well.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Thanks Ed and Silver

Unfortunately Mesquite does not grow in this area of Texas. I live on the Gulf Coast of Texas. It does grow in the western and south western part of the state. I remember that there was someone in Arizona that had some but I cannot remember who.
    Thanks again
    wayne

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I just finished a mesquite cane, really crooked, lots of character! Actually carves pretty good, didn't do much, but our mesquite is such that its hard to find a long piece suitable for a walking stick, shorter one for canes are not as hard to come by, but you still have to sort thru a pile to come up with just a few good ones.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Bein' as how you live in Sourth Texas, there ought to be some mesquite around there not to far off. Ask around and you should get lucky. Mesquite has wonderful grain and color contrasts. A bit on the hard side and requires a little stronger bevel than you usually see on tools designed for basswood (Pfiel and flexcut come to mind so a little regrind is in order but worth it in the end). You can sometimes find it advertised in your local paper as firewood for the fireplace along with oak. If they wont give/sell you a single stick, it also great for bbq. I prefer it to oak for brisket and/or ribs, not quite as heavy a taste, but does burn a little hotter so need to be careful there. A nice fat brisket, good rub, and 14 to 16 hours over a mesquite fire chased with a couple long neck Lone Stars ... Ahhhhhhh.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Mesquite

Mesquite

I have seen somewhere on 1 of the many groups I am on a link to someone that sells mesquite and now I cannot find it. Does anyone know of a supplier or of someone that sells Mesquite??????????
    If so please post their contact info here.
    A friend and fellow carver is searching for some mesquite.

I know that Mesquite makes beautiful Walking Sticks, but can other items be carved from it as well, (example Santas)?
    Thanks
    Wayne P

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X