African Mahogany Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• African Mahogany Question

I just bought a piece of African Mahogany. I know that it is not a true Mahogany (which I love carving) but rather a distant cousin. It has the most gorgeous ribbons of grain through it and I was wondering if anyone here has carved this wood and if there is anything I should know about it before I start working on it. I am planning a relief carving with it (it's 13' x 9' x 1').

Thanks!
    Lindy

Re: African Mahogany Question

Hi Lindy
    I carved a piece of African Mahogany a few years back. It was given to me by a boat builder.The wood has a moderate dulling effect on cutting edges of your tools. Because this wood tears easily you may want to use a reduced cutting angle of 20 degrees to prevent grain tearing. It stains and polishes well and is pretty easy to work.
    Cheers
    Ric

Comment

I haven't carved it, but have built a coffee table and two corner tables with it and the only thing I noticed was that it does tend to follow the grain (split) a little, not bad though, but a little care is probably in order.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm not sure what I'm going to carve into it yet, probably another big cat and you're advice is very much appreciated!

Regards,
        Lindy

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X