X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindy
    replied
    Re: African Mahogany Question

Thanks guys! I'm not sure what I'm going to carve into it yet, probably another big cat and you're advice is very much appreciated!

Regards,
    Lindy

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I haven't carved it, but have built a coffee table and two corner tables with it and the only thing I noticed was that it does tend to follow the grain (split) a little, not bad though, but a little care is probably in order.

Leave a comment:

• richy-ruff
    replied

Hi Lindy
    I carved a piece of African Mahogany a few years back. It was given to me by a boat builder.The wood has a moderate dulling effect on cutting edges of your tools. Because this wood tears easily you may want to use a reduced cutting angle of 20 degrees to prevent grain tearing. It stains and polishes well and is pretty easy to work.
    Cheers
    Ric

Leave a comment:

• Lindy
    started a topic African Mahogany Question

African Mahogany Question

I just bought a piece of African Mahogany. I know that it is not a true Mahogany (which I love carving) but rather a distant cousin. It has the most gorgeous ribbons of grain through it and I was wondering if anyone here has carved this wood and if there is anything I should know about it before I start working on it. I am planning a relief carving with it (it's 13' x 9' x 1').

Thanks!
    Lindy

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X