Delta Home Craft Scroll Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta Home Craft Scroll Saw

I have a 1955 vintage 16" Delta Homecraft Scroll Saw that has not been used for many years. I recently disassembled it, cleaned it and reassembled it. The lubricant in the crankcase had turned to thick gum which I cleaned out and relaced with 10W 40 motor oil to get things working. Everything works well but I am concerned about the oil. What oil should I be using in the crankcase?

Also is it possible to get a manual for this saw? I have a serial number but there is no model number on the saw.

Go to this website and talk to Rick, he has all kinds of scroll saws.

http://www.scrollsaws.com/
    Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Thanks

Thanks. I've written Ric. I'll let you know how I make out.

Comment

straight 40 weight gear oil is fine. There are no viscosity issues like in a car in cold or hot waether.
        The original oil used wasnt detergent oil. I am not sure how this will affect the parts.
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

home craft 16" lubricant

10 weight is recommended, non detergent. Best place to get is local fabric shop, ask for sewing machine oil. It will be clear and watery. Make sure your your case covers are nice and tight because if they aren't....wel...you know..

Jim

Comment

rcmiele, I don't know what weight oil you should be using but you don't want 10W40. That is a high detergent oil made for cars. 10 weight seems too light and 40 weight seems too heavy. I would go with 20 or 30 weight, non detergent. I use 30 weight in my Delta P-20. I sent an e-mail to [email protected] and asked them for an owner's manual for a 1960 era Craftsman, 10" table saw. They sent me a copy via U.S.P.S. free of charge. They may have a manual for your saw. Good luck with your new/old saw. Can you use the pinless blades?
            Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

10 weight is correct

I'll repeat my earlier answer, 10 weight, which is considerd sewing machine oil. You can research this as I have on the 'net. I also have a copy of the owners' manual from OWWM.COM which is attached as verification, see page 3, top left.

Have fun!
              Attached Files

Comment

I agree with grolmund -- use only S.A.E. 10W non-detergent motor oil. Don't go with 20W, 30W or any other.

You may be able to purchase S.A.E. 10W N-D in a quart can at your local retail automotive supply store. Hard to find on the shelf, but you can find a can now and then. As mentioned, sewing machine oil should be good.

As I recall from other discussions on your type of saw, the upper blade chuck is connected to a spring, and on some models, the spring is housed in a bath of oil. The motor pulls the blade down, and the spring helps the motor by pulling the blade back to the top of the stroke. The spring needs the thin oil so it isn't fighting the oil on the return stroke.

I presume the spring also provides blade tension, but I don't know how you can alter the blade tension between a #5 .vs. a #0 blade.

Word of caution, the spring will suffer from metal fatigue over time. Your saw is over 50 years old. I may be wrong, but your style of saw hasn't been made in about 35 to 40 years. (There is one VERY high end saw of a similar style, but the engineering is WAY better.)

Best of luck to you.

Phil

Comment

Thank you to all posters for lubrication tips. And thanks especially to grolmund for his attachment of the owner's manual!!!
                  Alex

Comment

What Oil for 40-110

Hello to all !

My 40-110 scroll saw has a worn Bushing ( part DSS-9 ) in the cast iron casting for the main Lower Plunger Tube ( part DSS-21-S ) that rides up and down.

So when I used the recommended 10-W oil, then the oil leaked quite badly up and out of the bushing.
                    I changed to 85-90-W gear oil and find that all the parts inside are being well oiled and the leaking has stopped.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement bushing ?

Many thanks !

Dan McGarigle
                    El Segundo, CA

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                      Pegas Large Scrollsaw Table
                      by cwmagee
                      A couple of months ago I ordered the Large Pegas Scroll Saw Table for my EX21 from Denny which I received about a week later. I installed it immediately and made a few test cuts. Since then I have been busy with several Urban renewal projects around house as well putting the yard to bed for the winter....
                      Yesterday, 07:28 PM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by Rolf
                      Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                      That is...
                      Yesterday, 08:15 AM
                    • Jimern
                      Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                      by Jimern
                      The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                      Yesterday, 06:29 AM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                      by will8989
                      The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                      10-20-2020, 11:10 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Farmers market
                      by will8989
                      Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                      10-20-2020, 10:31 PM
                    Working...
                    X