Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waxing my Dewalt?

hey everyone,

thanks to all your tips I got my new Dewalt aligned and working beautifully. Man I really like this saw...hehe just had to say that.

Ok, so what are some of the methods you guys and gals have done to your tabletops...to make them glide smooth like a babies butt.

I was using Turtle Wax Carnauba wax, but switched to MinWax Paste Finishing Wax. Since I have the back of my table raised, I can't set anything on the table or it slides off.
    Last edited by Woodbutcher68; 08-18-2005, 05:50 PM.
    Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

I use Johnson's Paste wax.

Bob
      Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

I use Top-Kote on all of my tools, tablesaw, joiner, bandsaw, scrollsaw etc. It cleans the surface, prevents rust and leaves a great surface for sliding wood across. One thing to beware of with automotive waxes (these are great as well) is to make sure you do not use ones with silicon in them. This can get into the wood and you will never get a uniform finish on it.

Kevin
        Kevin
        Scrollsaw Patterns Online
        Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

I use a product called Topsaver to remove rust, lubricate, and seal the surface
          of my DeWalt Scroll Saw. Any cast iron top will rust with the high humidity that
          we have in Myrtle Beach, SC.

I have also found that if I place an old bed sheet or cloth over the table tops
          when I am not using them it will prevent any rust from forming on the tops.

Gary MacKay

Comment

I've always found discussions of waxing saw tabletops irrelevant to the jigsaw puzzles I make. I don't want the surface any more slippery than it naturally is. I can't imagine cutting tight locks between puzzle pieces and my little puzzles from postage stamps without my fingertips feeling like they're in control, which is a sensation they would lose on a waxed surface.

Just a thought....

Carter

Comment

From the RBI operators manual - "..after about 20 hours of use you may want to reapply a coat of wax to the table for protection as well as making the wood glide easier across the table surface. Apply Minwax Clear Wood Wax or Johnson Past Wax with light pressure in a circular motion. Polish with a clean dry cloth. Be sure to remove all wax from the table top or it will coat your wood as yhou cut and make applying finishing stains or sealers difficult and their coatings uneven." Excuse any typos cause I ain't gonna proof read it.

Comment

dewalt table top

I got a piece of plexiglas , cut to fit and attached with double sided tape.This also allows for smaller hole were blade feeds through. Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Troy
                  hey everyone,

thanks to all your tips I got my new Dewalt aligned and working beautifully. Man I really like this saw...hehe just had to say that.

Ok, so what are some of the methods you guys and gals have done to your tabletops...to make them glide smooth like a babies butt.
                  I use Renassiance Wax on my RBI. Our Scroll Club has 6 DeWalts in the shop and they use TopCoat. And that stuff works really nice on the DeWalts. I was planning on buying a can myself and save my wax for better purposes.

Comment

my Ryobi is teflon coated
                    I wonder how much scrolling it will take to wear the coating off???
                    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

"my Ryobi is teflon coated
                      I wonder how much scrolling it will take to wear the coating off???"

Interesting thought, given the abrasive nature of wood, I'm curious also. Keep us posted, please.

Comment

An "oldtimer" (older than I) suggested that I use waxed paper on my RBI table. It doesn't really wax it, but it sort of smooths it out a bit. Nothing slides off - but everything moves easily. Just wad it up, and rub the table with it - I rub in little circles. Sort of like we used to use a bread wrapper on the playground slide - and it has been a long time since bread came in waxed paper - or I went down a slide, for that matter.
                        Sandy

Comment

I use Johnson paste wax on my table, works very well. Have even tried it on the bandsaw table with excellent results.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X