Magnifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnifier

Just curious to see how many use a magnifier?
    I have one with a glass lens on an articulated arm. I am not crazy about it.
    There is some distortion around the edges and it can be tiring on the eyes.
    I really don't use it.
    I did pick up a plastic "Fresnel" lens at the dollar store. I am going to put it in a BBply frame for people to look at the finished fretwork with.
    Can't go wrong for a buck. I may use shaker pegs for legs.
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

I wouldn't be able use my scrollsaw without one.

Bob
    Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Not me, my youth and the fact that my dear Mother made me eat all those carrots as a kid keep these eyes working just fine.
      Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Great Idea Carl,

Post a pic when your done..

Comment

Originally posted by Rivari
          Not me, my youth and the fact that my dear Mother made me eat all those carrots as a kid keep these eyes working just fine.
          Give it time Todd!
          I still eat 'em and got my first pair of glasses this year!
          Now I don't have to scroll between the lines anymore!
          Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

The last time I visited my optician he told me I had remarkably strong eye muscles... for my age!

Backhanded compliment or what?

I've got a magnifying lens with a daylight bulb in it. I haven't used it yet but I may as the nights start drawing in.

Gill
            There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
            (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Can't use the scroll saw without it - adds light to the workpiece, as well as helping me see the lines. Interesting idea Carl, would like to see a pic of the finished product.

Comment

I use my magnifier when scrolling purly for the light. I find myself using my perepherial (sp?) vision a lot while scrolling, and the magnifier totally eliminates that!

When I'm painting my Warhammer 40K models, though, which are about 2"-tall and fully detailes, I use my magnifier! To paint those, I've shaved some paintbrushes down to only half a dozen bristles!

Bob
                www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I use a magnifier with the light on my scroll saw. I had a magnifier once that
                  had a small wattage light bulb, which provided excess heat when sawing in the
                  summer time. I replaced the bulb with on of the small efficient ones that are now available. It's much cooler.

Gary MacKay

Comment

Great idea on the new bulb. I agree they get hot!
                    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Carl,
                      I got the light and magnifier with my RBI - I use it whenever the light from the window is wimpy - and now that I don't have to keep blowing the sawdust off the cutting line (like I did with my old Delta), I can look through the magnifyer without getting frustrated. I find I only use it for intricate stuff. I also use a visor-type magnifier - for carving and pyro work, and for intricate painting - you just can't carve/burn/paint what you can't see clearly. I find it makes a big difference. I also got a visor type at one of my favorite toy stores (Harbor Freight) for about $3 on sale - it has little lights on the side to light what you are seeing - well worth the $, but not too great for scrolling, 'cause the focal point is too short - the best focus is about 14 inches or so - a bit close to the scroll saw for my setup.
                      Sandy

Comment

I've not used a magnifier yet but don't think I've needed one with anything I've done so far. Maybe in the future but until then I'll work without. I understand what Bob was saying about losing peripheral vision. I rely on my peripheral vision a lot and think that using a magnifier would cause a lot of eyestrain. For me, anyway.

Matt

Comment

While it is hard at first using the magnifier, you do get used to it. I also had a hard time not being able to use my peripheral vision, but seeing the fine lines where you're cutting seems to be a small trade-off.

As for the light bulbs heating up, I also replaced it with the small efficient bulbs and it worked like a charm. Came home from work one day to find that the magnifier made its way into my wife's sewing room, so I had to replace my magnifier with one with the circular fluorescent bulb. That one works even better than the old one - so I can't let my wife know or I may lose that one too!

Comment

I gotta thank the wife for getting me the lighted magnifier. I won't work without it. I have a fluorescent bulb that only gets a little warm.

Dan
                            Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

Magnifier

I went to the dollar store and bought a pair of bi-focal glasses,they come in three size's of magnifaction, I got the 2.75.Works for me...I have one of those round magnifers with light from Michael's or Jo-ann stores, but it is too fuzzy on the edges for me.Lonepine
                              Be the good,
                              you want to see in the world...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim Finn
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jim Finn
                                The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                                Today, 04:48 PM
                              • MidMich324
                                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                                by MidMich324
                                Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                                Today, 03:57 PM
                              • RJweb
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by RJweb
                                As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                                Today, 03:42 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Farmers market "survey"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                                I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                                For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                                Today, 11:14 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                                Today, 11:00 AM
                              Working...
                              X