Laminate Trimmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laminate Trimmer

I find I am using my Dremel with router attachments more often than the router however, I recognize I am going to need to replace this soon and would like more variety in the bits than I am able to get with the dremel.

I have been looking at purchasing a laminate trimmer but have some questions for those who use them.

1. Do they use the same bits as a router?
    2. Do features / attachments / warranty vary much depending on the brand?
    3. Given I have limited hand strength, would the laminate trimmer be easier to use versus a router?
    4. Brand recommendations (looking at the Dewalt), heard that Porter Cable was a good choice.....

I have the Porter Cable one. It is excellent. But it only takes 1/4" shank bits so it uses regular router bits . Check with some tool suppliers and see if there is a collet that can be fitted in the opening to accept your dremel bits as well.
    Sparky

Comment

April 2005 Reviews on Laminate Trimmers

Don't go for cheap brands like Ryobi, Skill, B&D etc. The worst tools are the Mastercraft (Canadian Tire store). They don't even carry repair parts. Poor adjusments, low quality bearings, lessen motor quality etc. Short life then you have to buy another one again ending up paying more than a pro tool just to have a basic tool.

I search for a review and found what is below. I would go for the Porter-Cable. I own many Porter Cable tools and they are very durable. Porter Cable is a top rated company for routers.

Here is the review I found at http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ho...fullstory.html

Trimmers
      A lightweight trimmer, often called a laminate trimmer, may be a better choice if you plan on lighter projects. These can be used one-handed, not only for trimming plastic laminate but for many furniture making and light carpentry routing tasks as well. Their light weight is an advantage. For example, the top-rated Porter-Cable 310 (*est. $160) weighs only 3.75 pounds. Two reviews pick this model as best; it also gets 4.5 stars (out of a possible 5) by users at Amazon.com. The Taunton 2005 Tool Guide reports that Fine Homebuilding and Fine Woodworking readers also rank the Porter-Cable 310 at the top, and we've included this lightweight, fixed-base trimmer in Fast Answers.

Editors at Taunton Press (editor of Woodsmith and ShopNotes magazines) choose the Porter-Cable as one of their value picks, saying depth adjustments are easy to fine tune. Editors note that right-handed users will find it especially comfortable. However, they note that it's less convenient for left-handed users, and visibility is limited. For better visibility, they prefer the Makita 3707FC (*est. $150), which also has a built-in work light. Testers find the Makita lightweight and comfortable, with a clear plastic base and electronic speed control. However, they note that the vertical adjustments are difficult to fine tune.

Also recommended in reviews is the DeWalt DW673K (*est. $180) for ease of base changing, although experts find that tightening the base can change the bit's depth and position. If price is no object, Taunton's editors tap the Virutex FR92D (*est. $260) for its overall high quality and range of available accessories. They like its easy maneuverability and adjustments, good visibility, fence that doubles as a circle-cutting jig, and jig for cutting hinge-and-lock mortises.

Regards...
      Last edited by boogatoo; 08-10-2005, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boogatoo
        Don't go for cheap brands like Ryobi, Skill, B&D etc. The worst tools are the Mastercraft (Canadian Tire store). They don't even carry repair parts. Poor adjusments, low quality bearings, lessen motor quality etc. Short life then you have to buy another one again ending up paying more than a pro tool just to have a basic tool.
        Ouch. Mastercraft tools are made by various companies including Delta, Dewalt and Ryobi. Canadian Tire has a great return policy as long as you keep your Canadian Tire money to hand back in if you want a full return. Otherwise I have never even had a problem with an over the counter exchange.
        Some of the Mastercraft line have a lifetime warrantee on the "Maximum " brand. Hard to beat that anywhere for a power tool.

Canadian tire does have a line called JobMate which are entry level tools for occasional users and should not be considered for serious full time use.
        I have to say all in all I have had lots of satisfaction at the "Man Mall"
        But thats just my opinion I tend to offere it out lots
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

You won't go wrong with either DeWalt or Porter Cable.

Ed

Comment

MasterCraft (Canadian Tire Tools)

Mastercraft tools are mostly made by Ryobi as a matter of fact and these are entry level tools. It is true that CT have a great return policy but it does not make their electric tool better.

Once I purchased an Electric 1" nailer. The bumper got lost and they did not carry a replacing one. Actualy, the clerk just did not know what to do with me. He gave me the phone number of the head office and neither them know what to do with me. I went back to the store and got a refund. Then I went to Home Depot and bought a Porter Cable nailer and a Husky 32 Gal. compressor (made By Campell Hausfeld).

Among my tools, I own a palm sander, a random sander, a HVLP Gravity Spray Gun, a 2" nailer and a plate joiner (all of them Porter Cable). I have a budget for tools but that was not alway the case. After burning 2 sanders and a jig saw branded B&D, I decided to wait until I have more money rather than buy low level quality tools. My 2 unusable sanders together already cost me the price of a professional and ended up in the garbage.

Maximum brand is very very good for hand tools like ratchets, wrenches, hammer etc. but not for electric tools. They have some nice yellow rubber pad over their blue handle to comply with the colors of the "Maximum" label but these are cosmetics and aim the same market as B&D. If you are ready to put more money and buy a Maximun branded tool over a Jobmate brand, put a few more pennies and but Makita, Dewalt, or Porte Cable instead. If you don't have the money yet, put it asside and wait for your budget to allow a better tool.
            Last edited by boogatoo; 08-11-2005, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Amen Boogatoo. Go tell it on the mountain.

Comment

Boy where have I heard those words before? Let me think now!!!!
                John T.

Comment

Hey JT. Sometimes all the preachin' is to the choir!! The folks that need it either ain't listenin' or choose to ignore the facts!! Quality tools will always pay for themselves in the long haul. There is no such animal as a beginners tool. One is only a beginner before he/she uses it the first time. After that, if the tool lasts long enough, you start to be experienced!!
                  If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Originally posted by Neal Moore
                    Hey JT. Sometimes all the preachin' is to the choir!! The folks that need it either ain't listenin' or choose to ignore the facts!!
                    I heard ya's, thats why I have that new saw coming. Lesson learned.
                    Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Neal that is a very good way to put it there are no beginners tools. Quality quality quality will always pay off in the long run!!!

Rivari

Read about your new purchase. Hope things work out well and we want to see the very first project to come off that saw. There is a bit of a learning curve with it but am sure you will pick it up. I do not own the Q4 but have seen it and scrolled on it and it is as good as all RBI saws. Good luck!
                      John T.

Comment

Toni

I am sure you have posted this question on other forums and have come up with an opinion by now but I will add my 2 cents in here if you do not mind. I own the PC and all the attachments because I bought it as a kit. I can say this I have not used any of the attachments only the router and the adjustable base. It is an excellent tool and PC is a well built tool and has been around for a long time> You will not go wrong with either the PC or Dewalt. As far as buying the kit goes if you do cabinetry then yes it is worth it but if not unless you get a great deal skip it. As far as bits go they take 1/4" shaft bits. I would not and stress this whole hardely do not use the 1/8" bits with this router. Second thing there is a bit of a learning curve to using any router and this one is no exception. Even though it can be held with one hand it can get away from you if not careful. Routing certain woods such as oaks can produce tearout and may require to use a climb cut especially if routing corners or against grains. I would recomend a good basic router book to help explain some setups and things to be aware of.

Just thought I would add my 2 cents.
                        John T.

Comment

Mastercrap

I agree that Mastercraft is poor quality. I've had two cordless drills that weren't worth a fart. I just bought and opened a 16'' Mastercraft scroll saw and it was a paperweight out of the box, dead as a door nail. Took it back well under the 90 policy and had two customer service associates and one supervisor tell me I wasn't getting an exchange and had to be sent out for repairs although it was never used, lol. Went back later having talked to the manager and got an exchange; it runs, but makes clanking sounds after I shut it off as it slows. Doubt it will last long.

If I didn't get it for free with CT money, I wouldn't have consisdered buying it.
                          I agree- good tools pay for themselves many times over in money, pleasure, ease of use, accuracy and durability. At least De Walt next time, I'm through poor boying with tools, it's just not worth the frustration.

Comment

I got the little Bosch Colt and as a "women's" size router it's FABULOUS ! Light and easy to hould. Not sure you could do what you do with a dremel tool with any router tho. It's one of the best rated and not terribly expensive.
                            Janette
                            www.square-designs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Janette View Post
                              I got the little Bosch Colt and as a "women's" size router it's FABULOUS ! Light and easy to hould. Not sure you could do what you do with a dremel tool with any router tho. It's one of the best rated and not terribly expensive.
                              The Bosch Colt is probably the one most recommended on a couple other woodworking forums I visit. I don't own a laminate trimmer, but if I ever get one, it will be the Bosch.
                              Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                Today, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                Today, 10:31 PM
                              • tgiro01
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by tgiro01
                                Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                                Today, 09:38 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                                Today, 06:47 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                                Today, 06:38 PM
                              Working...
                              X