Hegner Finger Joint Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hegner Finger Joint Saw

I was drooling on the Hegner web-site a few days ago and there was a new "toy" that caught my attention, the finger joint saw. I was curious if anyone has one and if so how they like it. I have so many questions about this "toy" but I will forego them (Bandwidth Friendly) until I find someone that is in the know.

Thanks all!

Hegner FingerJoint Machine[URL=http://www.advmachinery.com/default.asp?pg=fingerjoint]
    Last edited by Rivari; 06-09-2005, 11:43 AM. Reason: Adding a link
    Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Incra Fence

Hi Todd

I've never used that Hegner machine so I'm not really qualified to comment. However, I do know the Incra fence system is highly regarded and it will do a lot more than just finger joints. If you've already got a table saw or a router mounted in a table, it may also be worth considering the Incra fence, which is a cheaper alternative.

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Hi Rivari,

Here is the site.
      http://www.advmachinery.com/default....roducts&grp=37

I don't have one but it looks great to have. I saw it demonstrated at a wood shop. They made some very nice boxes.
      You could call AMI and ask if they could answer your questions.

Mike M
      SD Mike

Comment

Gill I have never seen or heard of the Incra Fence you mentioned but I will check it out. The Hegner just got my attention because of the write-up on the web-site. Making joints can be a hit or miss (at least for me) and time consuming. If everything I have read is factual this fingerjoint machine will expedite the process and only clean up the margin for error. I don't know if the Incra fence can offer me the same but I will check it out none the less.

Mike, I did send AMI and email a week ago asking questions and I did not get a response. I could call but I figured the people on the other end are going to tell you what you want to hear because they are in the business of making money. Thats why I was hoping someone here in the forum could share their thoughts.

I appreciate the input and hopefully I can get more.
        Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Comment

Well I got ahold of Advanced Machinery and spoke with a friendly guy named Rob. Rob is a technician there and he gave me some basic info but he told me that he himself had not worked with the machine. So a bit of a dead end there as far as getting some good user feedback.

I would like to add one thing that he did tell me about that got my interest (though I should keep quiet until I get my deal). They take in Hegner Scroll Saws that are used and give them a once over then resell them at a pretty good discounted price as compared to a brand new one. Rob really gave me the impression that the company takes alot of pride in what they sell so perhaps for those ready to move up to a Hegner can do so without worry and great expense. He currently had two in stock a 2003 and 2004 22" with stand for $1200, not to shabby considering.

Myself I will keep plodding along on my Dremel until it explodes or until I can talk the spousal unit into letting me upgrade someday, for now I am content.

I'll hold out for some more info on my original topic.
          Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Comment

Todd,

Glad to hear that you got hold of Rob. I have heard a lot of good things about him, that is helping people.

Mike M
            SD Mike

Comment

Hi Todd

If you're feeling brave, you might like to cross the Atlantic and have a look at this thread over on the UK Workshop forum which has discussed Incra fences at length. People who use them seem to wonder how they ever got by without them.

I must confess, I'm tempted to buy one myself.

Gill
              There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Comment

The incra fence can do by far more things and more decorative cutting. Is cheaper unless you start adding all the gadgets and gizmos. Now as far as Hegner taking in old saws, just about all your big name saws will do that. Dewalt, RBI, and such.
                John T.

Comment

Gill,
                  I thought Todd was talking about the finger joint saw. I believe that is different from the Incra fence.
                  Finger Joint
                  I could not find a picture of the Incra fence at AMI site. Go to Google and search for Incra fence, click on "Image" than you can see what John T was talking about.
                  John how much would it cost to get all the attachments?
                  Mike M
                  SD Mike

Comment

I slept on it. And I will be placing my order today. Yeah the price tag is a bit stiff but if it keeps me in the wood shop having fun and that is worth it to me. If all else fails and I use it and I don't like it or it doesn't perfrom properly I can send it back and be refunded. But I honestly beleive it will work out just fine. I'll keep ya'll posted.
                    Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Comment

Hi Mike

Yes, I realise Todd was talking about the finger joint saw. I was just looking at the task of finger joining from a wider perspective and suggesting that he might find an Incra fence more versatile if he already had either a router table or a table saw.

Gill

Comment

I know what you were saying Gill and I do agree that the Incra would offer a wider range of jointing. However, after looking at the Incra and all the gizmo's you can add to it I have to beleive that the Hegner will better suit me. I appreciate all the feedback and I'll let you know how this thing works once I get it going.
                        Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Comment

Gosh Todd - I hope you don't think I was criticising your decision . You seem to know what you want and I hope you find the Hegner is everything you're looking for.

I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with it.

Gill

Comment

Not at all Gill, your input was appreciated.

The Incra fence just looked like a tool/attachment that has no end as far as continually upgrading is concerned. Further I tend to be a bit of a potato or potatoe head if tools are easy to use.

As stated to many within the forum, after 18 years in the Army I still can't do something without a picture or someone showing me how to do it. Simplicity is my watchword.
                            Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Comment

Finger Jig

Hello Rivari, I went to a wood show a few months ago and seen a jig out by treeline that does dove tail, box, heart shape,etc.... joints. The complete set is around 250.00 with everything. Its really to use and set up. Check them out at [email protected]

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X