Bad Blades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Blades?

Over the weekend I encountered a problem that really had me mumbling some colorful words under my breath.

I was doing some portrait work on 1/4" baltic birch and using # 3 Flying Dutchman Reverse Spiral Blades (or trying to) and I could not get them to clamp down in either the lower or upper clamps of my saw. When I would turn the clamp on either end the blade would curl on the set screw and ultimately slip. I tried sanding the blade ends, I removed my set screw and clamps and cleaned those as well but nothing seemed to cure the problem. I even did a operator check to ensure I wasn't being overly aggressive in my procedures. I went through 6 blades before I got one that actually clamped properly and held tension.

I have been a fan of Flying Dutchman Blades ever since I started using them and I have a hard time beleiving that perhaps I had a bad batch of blades. But is it possible and has anyone else experienced a bad batch before?

Scratching my head here, your input is appreciated.
    Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I've never used the blades you describe, but I must say I've had awful problems lately with FD No 2 Polar blades that have an extraordinary bias to the right. I'm using a Hegner saw and sycamore that's about an inch thick. Sycamore is a very forgiving wood, so I'm not about to put the blame there, especially when some of the blades don't have the bias at all.

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

spiral blades

I do not use spiral very often due to the twist in the clamping section of the blades.
      I wouldnt say they were a bad batch. Spiral blades are not very forgiving in certain blade clamps. I have a Delta with a quick clamp. There is a spot on the clamp that will bend the end of the blade.
      Once I open the clamp to reinsert the blade it is hard to seat.
      maybe this is a similar problem
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Rivari, I would go right to [email protected]. I am sure Mike would like to know of any problems you are having with FD blades. Mick.
        Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

Just a side note, I received my new order of blades today of #1's which is the only reason I resorted to using #3's and I had zero problems. The best I can figure is that the blades were boogered up, it was like the metal they were made out of was mush.

Just so no one gets confused these blades were not purchased from Mike (don't want to effect his business in any way). If it was a bad batch of blades it was the first I have experienced and it hasn't soured me on the Flying Dutchman's.
          Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

clamping blades

I don't pretend to know the problem of which you describe. I do however know that the clamp must do the holding(squeezing) and not the clamp screw. My hegner tells me this each time I do pierced cuts. Try backing blade out a litte and then tighten,if this doesn't help,I pass.Paul W

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X