A new toy...a planer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new toy...a planer

The tax refund hit recently and I am wanting a new toy, more specifically a planer. I have little info to go on as to which model/type will best serve me so I am asking for your input. Thanks folks.
    Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Planer

Rivari....Don't know if you're looking for a joiner planer or just a surface planer. I've been looking at the 13" DeWalt in Woodcraft catalog and drooling!! It's around $500 but if the planer is anything like my DeWalt scroll saw I expect it's a good value. I've been paying a local wood shop to do my planing but I'd love to have one of my own.
    If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Delta planer

I have a 12" Delta planer, made for Canadian Tire under the Mastercraft name.
      I love it, it has served me well. Although the blades are disposable they can be turned over end for end to get double the milage.
      I havent had much problem with snipe and the planer has enough horsepower to remove a fair amount of material without bogging down.
      One thing I do have to comment on is the noise level of any planer. I live in a townhouse and I warn my neighbours before I fire it up. No sense waking the dead!

As far as the width of cut, I have yet to get a board wider than 12 inches to cut. I know there is always gluing boards together to increase the width but I have had no need so far.
      I also have a thickness sander which I use for thinner material. This has no width limit. Either tool is a good choice.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I'll be darned if I can find the magazine but one of the woodworking mags recently had a pretty nice review on several of the popular portable planers. I think I gave the mag to my father as he was in the market. As I recall most of the ones they reviewed were nice but for value and quality the Delta scored really well. The Rigid, Home Depot, scored really well also, which is what my Dad picked up. He's very pleased with it.

Comment

I have no clue. I've done enought research. I'd like to get one some day, if I could afford it. The RBI looks really nice. But I doubt that'll ever fit a budget for me.

Comment

Thanks for the input; I did have my sights on the Dewalt (I forget the model) but I will check the competition out as well before making a choice.
            Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Stick with the big boys. Your impulse to go with DeWalt is good. I'd avoid Ridgid because they can't spell "rigid" and if they can't even spell their own name how could they make a decent tool? Just kidding. I'd avoid both Ridgid and Ryobi because they are exclusive to Home Depot and Home Depot refuses to carry parts or cover any service or act like any kind of responsible retailer. Just try to get planer knives for a Rdgid (sic) or Ryobi planer, or even basic needs like sandpaper for a Ryobi detail sander...you can't.

DeWalt, Delta, Jet. I am willing to listen to a case for other manufacturers, but they have to provide parts and service in a reasonable way.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                by will8989
                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                Today, 10:32 AM
              • Sandy Oaks
                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                by Sandy Oaks
                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                Today, 09:46 AM
              • NC Scroller
                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                by NC Scroller
                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                Today, 07:42 AM
              • NC Scroller
                by NC Scroller
                I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                Today, 07:39 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                by Linda In Phoenix
                I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                Yesterday, 10:01 PM
              Working...
              X