Cottonwood Bark!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cottonwood Bark!

Boy, I just gotta say this: I had no idea what wonders carving cottonwood bark would hold. It took some time for me to really understand the bark - its differences, working with its layers, etc. - but I'm so glad I kept looking and working at it. I've found a sort of creative 'link' with nature itself in this stuff - it forgives, it guides, it inspires...and in the end it becomes an integral part of the work itself.

Try it...and then try it a second time...and a third. If you're feeling 'stumped' about what to do, where to go with your work or ideas....cottonwood bark will give you an ease and freedom to get there. I'll never stop carving my 'regular' guys - the basswood and pine - but there's nothing more pleasurable for simple creative play than this bark.

I know there are probably a variety of places to get bark - I get mine from Art Olver (the 'Bark' guy) - [email protected]. Others might have other suggestions for where to find it. All *I* wanted to say to you all is just GET SOME.

I put a pic of one of my latest bark guys on our PT site - http://www.picturetrail.com/carvers-r-us in the Holiday Album.

Do it. Get some. Cottonwood bark - it's a beautiful thing :-)

Teri
    "Santas for the Soul" &&Original Carvings by Teri Embrey&&http://www.teriembrey.com&&[email protected]

Re: Cottonwood Bark!

Teri it is good to see such a happy posting. I like the term creative play. You have reminded me what carving is supposed to be all about. I feel priveleged to have been able to watch you work. Your creativity is absolutely inspiring.
    Happy carving,
    Barb

Comment

Teri,
      I couldnt agree more I love cottonwood bark it really allows you to get lost in the carving if you know what I mean. Each layer holds something different as you say. I love it because there is no grain no rules just honest to goodness fun stuff to carve. Unfortunatly it doesnt grow in this part of the country I do order it now and again but it costs an arm and a leg to buy it here at wood shows. Just a small piece maybe a foot high can cost as much as $20.00. I am going to make a road trip one day to the West Coast and visit Art I have talked to him via email and he and I sound like we share a lot in common. I like going to find wood as much as I like to carve it I think.
      take care my friend we will talk later
      Colin

Comment

We have a suspision that you enjoy this new medium for carving Teri? Love your enthusiasm! Love your carving and style of finishing them even more! Well done Teri, well done.

Bob

Comment

Even though I use local cottonwood bark and it is not as thick or wide as the 'Good Stuff' from out west I still love it. I do find that there is a grain to it though. If I cut one direction it will split easier and leave a rougher surface than if I cut the other direction.

For those, like me, who cannot afford to buy bark try looking for cottonwoods, willows (trees not bushes), or black poplars growing in your area and look for loose bark.

To paraphrase Terri 'You GOTTA try it!!!

Comment

Hi Teri!
            This is the first chance I've had in awhile to look at the boards. It looks like you are back in the swing of things!

Congratulations on the BH & G article! I think that is a goal most santa carvers have on their list. (I know I do!)
            You think you fall behind on your orders NOW! just wait till this hits the news stands!!

Your new bark piece is great...I always thought of a bark carving as one big deep relief carving...I never considered doing a low relief carving on it.

I'll look twice now at some of the thinner bark I don't bother to pick up!

Greg
            http://www.owlhause.com
            http://www.picturetrail.com/owlhause/

Comment

Well, cool - I'm glad I might have 'sparked' some of you. There's SO much bark and so LITTLE time :-)

Teri
              "Santas for the Soul" &&Original Carvings by Teri Embrey&&http://www.teriembrey.com&&[email protected]

Comment

Teri, it looks like no matter what medium you are working, it comes out beautifully! Exceptional, is all I can say!

Al

Comment

Teri...just make sure you are barking up the right tree!

Comment

Teri, I got some bark from ARt this winter and am getting ready to get at it myself. I was waiting for a new bark carving book from Rick Jensen. The illustrated guide to carving treebark. It's relatively new -- has santa and whimsical houses. Nice book and informative. I know Rick so I a predjudiced. Check it out, it is through Fox Chapel. Pam

Comment

Okay, bark carving is definitely on my 'to do' list for next year, I've got myself too committed (or perhaps I SHOULD be committed! ) this year. Things are starting to get very busy, I'm getting braver and have started taking orders , scary but exciting!
                      You are a great inspiration to us Teri, we may not be ready to physically move to new locations but you certainly inspire us to at least try new things and spread our wings artistically...many thanks for that!! Callynne
                      http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4055528

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                        Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
                        by jim_mex
                        Hi Linda - thanks for the comments on the welds. It took me an hour or so to get into the swing of MIG wire welding but I really like it in preference to stick welding especially for welding thinner material. I confess to investing in a new angle grinder to help with the cleanup and dressing. I bought...
                        Today, 12:25 AM
                      • keystonecop
                        Bread and Cheese..
                        by keystonecop
                        ‚Äč Scrollsaw Woodworking and crafts Winter 2020 3/4 Cherry. A work in progress. This has been one of the most frustrating and rewarding projects that I have ever done. @Fiona Kingdon is by far one of the great scroll saw artists. Her patterns are not always the type that I like (I like to follow red...
                        Today, 12:08 AM
                      • keystonecop
                        Reply to Recommendations anyone?
                        by keystonecop
                        This is in a 5x5 area.. The total shop is 10x12 ...
                        Today, 12:01 AM
                      • jim_mex
                        Reply to Turning to something new
                        by jim_mex
                        Wow! That segmented bowl is amazing!

Betty - I have an old Darth Vader helmet somewhere. Will that substitute Bruce's get up? Failing that there always my current biker's helmet Thanks very much for the safety advice and concern. Rest assured that safety is my priority these days....
                        Yesterday, 11:57 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Turning to something new
                        by will8989
                        That is beautiful. Your design?
                        Yesterday, 11:42 PM
                      Working...
                      X