blade bending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blade bending

I am useing a delta ss200. When I take the blade out of the top the tip of the blade bends and I can not put it through the pilot hole when I am cutting a stack of 3. Any suggestions on how I can keep from bending the blade?
    Keith
    Keep on scrolling

I had a small delta and had the same problem.
    I found that if I did not push the blade in as far on the top it kept the blade from bending.
    I now have a hawk scroll saw and do not have the problem.

Comment

thanks

Thanks jadings that helped alot.
      Keith
      Keep on scrolling

Comment

I have always had a similar problem with my Hegner. Although the instructions say to insert the blade into the clamp, they don't say exactly how to insert it. Do you insert it as far as the screw or go as far as the top of the clamp?

Gill
        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

I now try to put the blade even with the screw and toward the front of the clamp. it helps alot.
          Keith
          Keep on scrolling

Comment

One thing to consider is when installing the blade to where it wasn't designed will throw the cutting action off. It may not be by much but will show up when cutting thicker pieces because you will either undercut more or overcut more. By undercutting I mean the blade will not be cutting straight up and down and be cutting deeper on the bottom than the top and over cutting will be cutting deeper on the top than the bottom. The proper placement of the blade should have been spelled out in your manual. With those Delta saws I assume there is a thumb screw holding the blade. If this is the case then on the opposite side there is a setscrew usually an allen screw. This should be just about even with the edge of the clamp. This goes for the top and bottom holder. If this is protruding too much or not enough then it will cause a bow in the tip of the blade. Check this screw before doing as was suggested with moving the blade. Moving the blade just gets it off center with this screw that is why it is not bending.

On the Hegner the blade should sit as far back as it can go. There again is a setscrew which is an allen screw on the opposite side of the thumb screw. That is not even with the edge of the clamp which is causing the blade to crimp. Try it it will work.
            John T.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. When I first saw this thread I emailed Hegner UK and advised them about this problem. Here's their reply:
              Dear Gill

The bending of the blade ends is caused by not placing them exactly in the centre of the "V" of the blade clamp. I also have the problem a lot but have come to the conclusion that most of the time speed is preferable over accuracy in this matter as it never seems to effect the accuracy of my work.

Best regards,
              Roger Buse

I'm surprised to find that's rather at odds with your advice and is contrary to my experience. I've always tried to secure the blades in the centre of the clamp but no matter how accurately I do this, the blade still bends.

I reckon I'll follow your advice instead and see what happens.

Gill
              There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
              (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Gill

First let me say that is a poor answer to your question and coming from a reputable company I am surprised.

Now I have to clarify some things being you are talking a Hegner. I have a Hegner Multimax18 The bottom clamp gets put into that jig on the right side of the table which holds it while you insert the blade. you want to keep the blade straight and in the center of the vee. and the clamp closes on it. This is a compression clamp and there is not allen screw on this clamp.That is not where you get bending. You want them in the center because they pivot on that support piece and swing back and forth as the saw goes up and down. This keeps the blade straight up and down on sawing. The top holder has a pin in the back that when the blade is inserted it automatically is lined up with the center. That is why I said just push it as far back as you can it will seat in the right spot. this clamp also pivots in its support piece that is why the thumb screw on top is set loose to allow for this. The reason the blade bends is because on the opposite side the allen screw is not set properly. I bet it is too far in and when you tighten the thumb screw this pushes on the blade and compresses it into the indentation where the allen screw is. I do not use the Hegner as much as my RBI but I have had this saw for at least 12 years and never had a problem. Good Luck.
                John T.

Comment

I have also experienced this problem as have so many others. What I have done to minimize this issue is the following.

On any newly installed blade I always install the it from the bottom first and ensure that it is centered. From there I have a little pair of pliers that I keep for clamping the top side down. What I do is watch where the twists are in the blade and add a bit of pressure one way or another to catch the flat part of the blade end....doggone it...I talking about my spiral blades. Hope it helps.
                  Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X