Puzzle blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puzzle blades

I am looking to make puzzles but the blades I have leave too much of a kerf?? Is there a special puzzle blade or blades?? thx, Dexter

Yes Dexter see Mike at www.mikesworkshop.com home of the flying dutchman blades. The best blades on the market. Just check the survey taken here and you will see.
    John T.

Comment

2/0

I use 2/0 blades for my puzzles, but they are SLOW on 3/4 wood. I will have to check out Flying Dutchman too.
      I did have some metal cutting blades with a very thin kerf, they worked ok too, just not enough sawdust removal. I am not sure what brand they were I got them at a garage sale.
      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

The puzzle blades should not be used in wood thicker than 1/4". They are too tinny to cut staright in thick wood. In 3/4" wood a # 3 would work but a 5 is better. It also depends on who you are making the puzzles for. Little kids need a bigger kerf as older once. Some one, I know, makes a lot of puzzles for kids and they use a # 9 blade.
        Here is a site who likes to use the puzzle blades: http://www.mgcpuzzles.com/help/ This is also a fine puzzle maker:
        http://www.newpuzzles.com/
        Mike M
        Last edited by 3_M; 02-27-2005, 05:54 PM.
        SD Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike

Thanks Mike, I am sure volumes could be written about blades and blade selection, It seems to be one of those areas where most of us are in the dark. I know I always push my blades too much. I prefer very thin blades but end up cutting twice for viening. I think the most coarse blade I have is a 5, maybe a rogue 7. I cut mainly thin stock, if I do cut thicker stuff it is 3/4 like the farm puzzle in my gallery. I still like a thin kerf to keep the puzzle tight.
          I know if there are too many teeth contacting the wood then there is no chance for the sawdust to escape causing burning.
          I think it is time for me to expand my horizons
          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X