carving live trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carving live trees

I'm curious can you carve a live tree? If i didn't girdle the trunk all the way around. I'm thinking of carving faces in two oaks that flank my driveway. each is about 24 inches in diameter, my better half wants me to cut them down. I want to keep them, soooo, if i can carve in them maybe she'll want to keep them also.
    any advise on this would be useful
    thanks macktruck
    Honey, Where are the band-aids, again?

Re: carving live trees

No problem carving them, the trees are mature enough it won't hurt them.

Comment

I carved a heart and initials in my Father in Law's apple tree years ago, but the tree grew right over it, the bark healed the scar almost completely. Nothing left but the memory, and the Wife.

Bob

Comment

I carve into live trees quite a lot. Things to remember if carving a live tree first it must be a relief carving so make sure you dont go too deep and not to carve all the way around the tree to interupt the sap flow. Also make sure that it is a mature tree because if not the bark will grow back over the carving. Lastly make sure you seal the carving so no insects get in. A tree is no different from you and I it is a living thing and it will heal as long as it isnt damaged too much. It is just like you cutting yourself you put on a dressing and in no time you have healed up with just the scar to show for it.
        Hoped this has helped
        Colin

Comment

I guess Me being in Scouts for so long, I don't carve in live trees and taught/teach Scouters the same thing. Enough fallen stuff to not carve in something live. However, my logic is in no way downing those who do. No offense intended.
          I enjoy Colin's wood spirits but would not carve in a live tree or on live limbs.
          Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

Colin, you said seal the carving on a live tree carving. What do you use to seal it? polyurethane? laquer?
            Kenny my wife wants them cut down so in reality I'm trying to save them from the saw( and save myself some work also Ha ha)
            thanks for the advice
            macktruck
            Honey, Where are the band-aids, again?

Comment

Mack, I have no problem cutting those trees that need cutting but just can't carve in to a live one. Like I said, I enjoy the pictures Colin post and like his work and I guess, If I was commission to do one I might. Haven't ran accross that yet. But hey, Carveing wood spirits in them instead of cutting them down sound the better of the two.
              Hey carve a female woodspirit in one and a male in the other.

Best wishes in your carveing.

Regards.
              Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

There are many ways to seal the tree you can use a polyurethan or fact similar I use a stain and then Thompsons wood sealer if you use a polyeurthane I would suggest a matt finish rather than a glossy finish.
                It doesnt kill the tree and I only carve into tree's when I am commissioned to do so. I also agree there is enough wood laying around to carve.
                Colin

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim Finn
                  Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                  by Jim Finn
                  The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                  Today, 04:48 PM
                • MidMich324
                  Reply to Plastic puzzle
                  by MidMich324
                  Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                  Today, 03:57 PM
                • RJweb
                  Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                  by RJweb
                  As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                  Today, 03:42 PM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Farmers market "survey"
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                  I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                  For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                  Today, 11:14 AM
                • Linda In Phoenix
                  Reply to Farmers market
                  by Linda In Phoenix
                  Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                  Today, 11:00 AM
                Working...
                X