Pine Knots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pine Knots?

Hi, I just got back from the Black Hills. Spent 9 relaxing days out there. I found a couple of Pine Knots out behind our cabin. I have seen articles on carving them but have never tried carving them. Anyone out there carved them? Any tips or pointers before I start my new adventure? Thanks Gergie,

Re: Pine Knots?

I just carved my first one...a small one...and the wood is very hard! about all I can tell you...this one is old so brittle in places as well.

Comment

After all of the knots I tied in Scouts, I don't believe I'll try a pine knot. : Did see a couple of them carve this past week end and thought they were neat. Hard you say,,,,,, Like maple or oak. That reminds me, a carver named Nitz I believe from Tulsa had carved an excellent walking stick out of elm which is the first I have heard and seen being carved in elm.
      Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

Gergie,
        I have a nice pine knot sitting in the 'possible box' right now but haven't tried carving it yet. Let us know how it goes for you.

Kenny,
        Elm isn't as bad as you might think. It has about the same hardness as birch or red maple. I have carved one elm stick and have one curing right now but I am used to carving birch, maple, walnut, and the occasional red oak stick for my 'art' and sometimes just like a break from basswood. The one that scares me is the green ash stick that I have waiting for me to try.

Comment

Hi Gergie,
          I've carved pine knots but not in the last several years. It takes really sharp tools and patience. Even if the knot has been dead for several years, there will still be some pine tar on your tools. They make excellent venues for wood spirits.
          Donna T

Comment

Hi, Thanks for all the info. The knots look like there pretty hard and the grain if you call it that looks challenging. I think it looks like a winter project. I will let you know how it goes.. Later Gergie,

Comment

Pine knots because they are end grain and really dry are very hard indeed they take really great detail. Just be very cautious (and I speak from experience) that if you are pushing a gouge into those knots make sure you wear a Kevlar glove it will save you a trip to the hospital.
              Colin

Comment

When I carve difficult endgrain in other pieces I use the 50-50 alcohol and water solution and spray it on. Would this help out on a pine knot? Might be worth a try? Pam

Comment

I carved a pine knot once by hand, if I do it again it will be with power. The way the sap hardened up in the knot I bent 2 cutting edges on 2 gouges. But it was one of the first thing I had ever carved.

Rick

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                    Reply to Planer and jointer opinions wanted
                    by Rolf
                    Betty is the feed belt centered? Do you hear it when the drum is spinning or when just the feed belt is on?
                    I have had the sanding belt stretch, they do that over time, and there was enough hanging out to just kiss the table.
                    Today, 03:30 PM
                  • Bill Wilson
                    Reply to Winter issue
                    by Bill Wilson
                    I got mine the other day. Also noticed a dearth of Christmas themed projects. I don't recall seeing much Christmas stuff in the Fall issue either. I look forward to new ornament ideas, but those were lacking this year.

I do understand some of the constraints in publishing a magazine these...
                    Today, 02:49 PM
                  • Bill Wilson
                    by Bill Wilson
                    Well, this topic can present a lot of opinions and options. First, if you are seriously considering helical cutting heads, would you take the next step and upgrade to a stationary, floor model planer? Perhaps even a used one. I don't know how much space you have and what your shop power options are,...
                    Today, 02:13 PM
                  • will8989
                    by will8989
                    Our super max has been making a noise that sounds like paper caught but we can’t pinpoint anything. Cleaned what we could, Bruce used dry lubricant, which sounds like an oxymoron to me, and still makes the noise. Started quietly now is louder. Any suggestions before we call for warranty work? I’m...
                    Today, 01:57 PM
                  • Don in Brooklin On
                    Virtual Wood Show
                    by Don in Brooklin On
                    Due to Covid-19 all events in Ontario have been cancelled including the Wood Show in Toronto. It was a great event but this year it is going to go virtual.

They will have a number of seminars and the ability to tour vendor sites. Not sure how it all works. It will be FREE but you can pay...
                    Today, 12:56 PM
                  Working...
                  X