Pine Knots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pine Knots?

Hi, I just got back from the Black Hills. Spent 9 relaxing days out there. I found a couple of Pine Knots out behind our cabin. I have seen articles on carving them but have never tried carving them. Anyone out there carved them? Any tips or pointers before I start my new adventure? Thanks Gergie,

Re: Pine Knots?

I just carved my first one...a small one...and the wood is very hard! about all I can tell you...this one is old so brittle in places as well.

Comment

After all of the knots I tied in Scouts, I don't believe I'll try a pine knot. : Did see a couple of them carve this past week end and thought they were neat. Hard you say,,,,,, Like maple or oak. That reminds me, a carver named Nitz I believe from Tulsa had carved an excellent walking stick out of elm which is the first I have heard and seen being carved in elm.
      Safety first, then enjoy carving! Ken Caney, Ks

Comment

Gergie,
        I have a nice pine knot sitting in the 'possible box' right now but haven't tried carving it yet. Let us know how it goes for you.

Kenny,
        Elm isn't as bad as you might think. It has about the same hardness as birch or red maple. I have carved one elm stick and have one curing right now but I am used to carving birch, maple, walnut, and the occasional red oak stick for my 'art' and sometimes just like a break from basswood. The one that scares me is the green ash stick that I have waiting for me to try.

Comment

Hi Gergie,
          I've carved pine knots but not in the last several years. It takes really sharp tools and patience. Even if the knot has been dead for several years, there will still be some pine tar on your tools. They make excellent venues for wood spirits.
          Donna T

Comment

Hi, Thanks for all the info. The knots look like there pretty hard and the grain if you call it that looks challenging. I think it looks like a winter project. I will let you know how it goes.. Later Gergie,

Comment

Pine knots because they are end grain and really dry are very hard indeed they take really great detail. Just be very cautious (and I speak from experience) that if you are pushing a gouge into those knots make sure you wear a Kevlar glove it will save you a trip to the hospital.
              Colin

Comment

When I carve difficult endgrain in other pieces I use the 50-50 alcohol and water solution and spray it on. Would this help out on a pine knot? Might be worth a try? Pam

Comment

I carved a pine knot once by hand, if I do it again it will be with power. The way the sap hardened up in the knot I bent 2 cutting edges on 2 gouges. But it was one of the first thing I had ever carved.

Rick

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• sawdustus
                    Reply to compoud cut autumn leaves
                    by sawdustus
                    Thanks for the info Denny. When I cut acrylic I always use a skip tooth blade at a slower speed. I just did not realize that the epoxy would cut the same way as acrylic so I followed the materials list in the article.
                    George
                    Today, 12:39 PM
                  • sawdustus
                    Reply to tooth fairy box
                    by sawdustus
                    OK folks, picture. I finally figured out how to upload a picture. Here is one each of my version of the oak and cherry boxes. Note the axle peg holding the top in place but allowing it to move.
                    George
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                    Today, 12:34 PM
                  • sawdustus
                    Reply to compoud cut autumn leaves
                    by sawdustus
                    OK folks, picture....I finally figured out how to upload a picture. Here are a few of the autumn leaves I cut against the beautiful blue sky we had this morning.
                    George
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                    Today, 12:32 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to What do you make
                    by will8989
                    Now the work really begins. Total of 14! Guess I forgot about some I previously cut....
                    Yesterday, 10:09 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Pegas blades
                    by will8989
                    Thanks. No hurry I have 2 gross. Hopefully it will as just a few blades.
                    Yesterday, 10:03 PM
                  Working...
                  X