Spiral blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiral blades

I know we have a variety of scrollers with different skill levels, so I have a question: How many of you use spiral blades? If you are not using them, why not? If you found an intricate project that required the use of one, would you use one to do that project? If you had better directions or instructions on useing spiral blades, would you use them?

Thanks in advance!

Bob
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Spiral blades

Don, have been scrolling since 1992 and never tried a spiral blade. The fretwork, butterflies and pictures I have cut all have square corners and sharp points to cut. How do you get a square corner or sharp point with a spiral blade? I can see that they would be faster as you don't have to turn the wood all the time, I am retired and not in any rush. Mick.
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

I occasionally use the sprial blades.

I find I have a lot more sawdust with them, and the cuts are not as "clean" as with other blades. And I tend to break more of them than I do other types - not sure why. I know they are made so that they will cut from any direction, but I find it very difficult to cut sideways or backwards with the spirals, so still tend to turn my wood when using them.

Oh - I would have like to have tried the new spiral blades FD had that I saw written up in a couple of magazines. But by the time I got around to getting them, he was out.

Theresa
      Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

I bought 3 doz. of the round blades and have yet to use them, seems like I do OK with the flat blades but I have them if ever need them.
        Bob
        Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Spiral blades are mainly used making portraits and wild live pictures. There are a few they use them for evrything. I had a hard time controlling them, they want to go to the soft spots in the wood. They work great in Baltic birch. Some like to use them when the pattern is too big for the scroll saw and just use them long enough when they can use the regular blade again. There are now spirals with reverse teeth and spirals with flat ends.

Mike M

This is for Toni,

It works, thank you
          SD Mike

Comment

I have some and have used them enough to know I don't get the control I would like. Keep them around just in case something comes up where I need them, like my saw is too small or somesuch. Not likely though because I do mostly smaller projects and have a 20" saw.

Comment

Have tried them but do not like them. There is abit of a learning curve that goes with them. I have never come across a pattern that would require them. As stated they are good for portraits but the finish cut leaves a bit to be desired. There are those that swear by them so to each his own I guess.

Bob

Being you brought it up and you are fairly new have you tried them??????? If so what is your take on them??????
              John T.

Comment

I haven't tried them yet myself, but I've heard that there is a trend towards using them more an cutting extremly complicated patterns with them...so I was checking to see what you all had to say. I really like to concept, but I'm apprehensive about the results...how's that for not really saying anything

Bob
                www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

spiral blades

Just wish I could use them. Wander too much for me.
                  Bill

Comment

Way to go Bob. Ever think of running for political office. You dodged that question well. I bet they will never be as popular as a standard blade. Like I said many are using them for portraits because in a portrait the lines do not have to be crisp and straight. as other patterns.
                    John T.

Comment

That makes sense. I'm in the process of editing an article on a wolf portrait and the author says that is all he will use. I'll have to try some...if I'm working on my intarsia, which will need sanded anyway, I really can't screw up too badly...I'm make sure I use it first on the basswood since I've got more of that!

Bob
                      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

mrcsw

I am currently using them a No. 5 on a 12 X 12 Wolf Silhouette (my first and may be last attempt at Silhouettes). Quite complex. Works more like a grinder than a cutter. Leaves fuzz on bottom side. I felt with all the cutouts, different directions of moves, that this would be better than a blade? Will continue to plug away.

Comment

Spiral Blades

Yes, I have tried them, but really don't care for them. The best use I found for them was to do some "veining" in a leaf pattern I was working on. They do make a wider kerf than a normal # 3 or # 5 blade and I kinda liked that effect.

As previously mentioned, they are harder to control and hence make it more difficult trying to do some fret work.

Just my opinion

Jim Paskett
                          Jim Paskett
                          RBI HAWK 220

Comment

Deeper Throat

My saw has a 16 inch throat and there are times when I am cutting wood longer than 16 inches, I can always pop open the blade holder, spin the piece around and reinsert but this is where spiral blades keep things simple.
                            You could cut a fretwork on a piece of ply 16 inches by 8 feet and not have to spin the wood.
                            One thing that would help when cutting something long on the saw would be to have some supports on each end of the wood, maybe even bearings to let the wood glide.
                            The sign in the middle of the pic was done with a spiral blade.
                            I still prefer regular blades but sometimes nothing else will do.
                            Attached Files
                            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

In my jigsaw puzzles, I often demonstrate how tight they are by picking up a completed 400-piece puzzle by its corner piece and waving it around. Can't do that if it has been cut with a spiral blade. The whole thing would fall apart. The cut takes out too much wood!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                                Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by will8989
                                Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                                Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by will8989
                                Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                                Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                                Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                                Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                              Working...
                              X